Bolton Wanderers eyeing up Jordan Rhodes

Rhodes is never going to take a pay cut. Why would he?

Some idiot at Wednesday gave him a four year deal at over fifty grand a week. 

He can't be forced to go on loan and he can't be forced to take a pay cut.

Even if Rhodes goes out on loan he's going to expect wages that match his current level. 

He clearly isn't interested in playing for Wednesday. He clearly isn't trying an inch. He does his best to get into positions where he won't get the ball. The rare occasion he gets it he gives it straight away to the opposition.

The question is, what has been done to Rhodes to make him so indifferent? Either he came here in a state of disinterest or something has been done to him to make him so labile. 

Given that the club seems to prefer the totalitarian approach to their employees it seems reasonable to conclude that Wednesday turned Rhodes into what he is.

Its that or he's genuinely useless and was so when we signed him. Talent and effectiveness dont dry up overnight they  slowl drain with age. 

Rhodes isn't that old. But he looks very worn out. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Say we appointed someone like McCarthy, I think he would set us up to get the best out of him because he's more aware of what he's capable of. Rhodes last three managers, Karanka, Carvalhal and Lukuhay have all failed to get the best out of him because they were not totally aware of how to play to his strengths. Still fail to see the link?:rolleyes:

Yes, that’s my worry Let’s hope we don’t 

I’m gutted for the bloke it’s not worked out for him @SWFC would love him to find his edge again. Maybe a loan would be best for both party’s. Can’t help but think if we sold him, he would sure as hell be the Jordan Rhodes we all no he can be. A part of me still wants to give him a good pre season, playing with all our fit starting 11 & hoping he re discovers himself. Or like some are saying he’s no good. I just can’t belive a lad of his age and that record can just turn crap tho. Or I suppose that’s just me hoping for the best for the lad..!! 

Signing for us was the biggest mistake of Jordan Rhodes career.

I’d love to see him link up with Mick Macarthy at Ipswich. I think an experienced Championship manager would get the best out of Rhodes, get him back to his goal scoring best and make a lot of people on here look a bit silly.

5 hours ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

I'm curious how Rhodes will perform with a decent pre season under his belt. 

We signed him in January 2017 when he hadn't been playing. He did ok that season. Not great, but ok. 

This season has been a shambles and hardly anyone had come out of it with any credit, apart from Joao, Nuhiu, Wildsmith maybe. 

With a decent pre season I am still confident we will see some quality from Rhodes. 

He did ok the pre season just gone. Then he missed from a yard out vs Sunderland...he seems to have lost confidence 

3 hours ago, Mrmason69 said:

Rhodes is never going to take a pay cut. Why would he?

Some idiot at Wednesday gave him a four year deal at over fifty grand a week. 

He can't be forced to go on loan and he can't be forced to take a pay cut.

Even if Rhodes goes out on loan he's going to expect wages that match his current level. 

He clearly isn't interested in playing for Wednesday. He clearly isn't trying an inch. He does his best to get into positions where he won't get the ball. The rare occasion he gets it he gives it straight away to the opposition.

The question is, what has been done to Rhodes to make him so indifferent? Either he came here in a state of disinterest or something has been done to him to make him so labile. 

Given that the club seems to prefer the totalitarian approach to their employees it seems reasonable to conclude that Wednesday turned Rhodes into what he is.

Its that or he's genuinely useless and was so when we signed him. Talent and effectiveness dont dry up overnight they  slowl drain with age. 

Rhodes isn't that old. But he looks very worn out. 

I can't see the it's down to the club, questioning what "they have done to him". He's had enough chances, but not taken them. Looked poor at Boro. 

Nobody has poisoned him, stopped him from training or tied his shoelaces together.

He's hopeless and I imagine his team mates must question his worth, which can't be good for morale.

Needs moving on ASAP.

Guest Arcadianrocket
3 hours ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Say we appointed someone like McCarthy, I think he would set us up to get the best out of him because he's more aware of what he's capable of. Rhodes last three managers, Karanka, Carvalhal and Lukuhay have all failed to get the best out of him because they were not totally aware of how to play to his strengths. Still fail to see the link?:rolleyes:

Add Paul Lambert to that list and Gordon Strachan

Guest Arcadianrocket
39 minutes ago, MrsHall said:

So many excuses made for this guy...he could do with taking a good look at recent goals from LJ BD. UTO.

Would Rhodes have scored that 2nd goal that Dave did?

Or would he have been out paced and out strengthed?

Rhodes has been quite frankly useless, for what he gets paid.

But we'll get rid, and someone will help him find his mojo again and help him bang in 25 per season.

Seriously need some sports psychologists to have a word with him.

But he looks totally disinterested and doesn't really want to be here.

I'm sorry it hasn't worked out for him because he seems genuinely a nice guy. But it hasn't.  I don't buy this play to his strengths stuff at all. In their different ways Nuhiu, Joao and even briefly Matias have all shown something under this manager. There is no special feature of Rhodes as a striker that means he shouldn't have been able to do that.

REALLY hope there is some truth in this.  And that either BWFC, SAFC or ITFC would be expecting to pay at least 85% of his ridiculous salary, if a loan can be agreed (or 100% if any club is daft enough to buy Rhodes).

We NEED a clear out this summer, for financial reasons and also to bring some zeal into an underperforming squad that has gone stale.  Rhodes should be the first one out of the door for too many reasons to list (but mainly because of his poor form over the last 12 months).

It’s not nice to criticise a player who I’m sure has tried his best, never sulked and has kept himself fit and available for selection for 18 months.  But Rhodes is like an albatross around our neck.

Hopefully going forwards, DC will wise up.  Rhodes has been arguably the most expensive disaster of a signing in our history as a club.  There are other similar signing in the Chansiri era, that also haven’t worked out.  Wednesday cannot keep doing this.

And hopefully the hierarchy will avoid signing over-priced luxury players in future, in favour of better informed decisions on player recruitment.

13 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Signing for us was the biggest mistake of Jordan Rhodes career.

I’d love to see him link up with Mick Macarthy at Ipswich. I think an experienced Championship manager would get the best out of Rhodes, get him back to his goal scoring best and make a lot of people on here look a bit silly.

Might I suggest, there are already a lot of people who are looking pretty silly, at the moment

• Haha 1