Stadium location?

4 hours ago, whatdial said:

The last finances, didn’t see any big funds sitting on the balance sheet to afford a £50-100m stadium

:duntmatter:

I'd defer to the accounting fraternity. Low interest bonds are all the rage these days despite the appraised risks. Cap-ex spread over x amount of years isn't operational in the main.

I say it every time we have a new stadium thread I love the thrill of travelling to Hillsborough for a match & have done so for nearly 60 years & ideally I'd want us to stay where we are & redevelop Hillsborough.

However I don't believe the footprint of Hillsborough will allow sufficient redevelopment & facilities to generate the income that a Premier league team needs to bring in 7 days a week.

Maybe DC could purchase adjacent land to build facilities but I doubt the current location away from major transport links will draw in sufficient custom to maximise any new development & facilities.

I'll have more than a tear in my eye to walk away from Hillsborough for the last time but if we get to the promised land of the Premier & want to establish ourselves there I personally believe a new stadium in a more commercially viable area is unfortunately a necessity.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, whatdial said:

Why bother talking about this it won’t happen as we can’t afford it

Stadium improvements won't affect FFP, and DC has said he has shedloads of dosh to put in, just can't, because of FFP!

lol

27 minutes ago, WadsleyOwl said:

And I’ve no doubt they’d have an outlet in any new development, be it inside or outside the stadium. 

They could easily have outlets in our present stadium .

9 hours ago, the monk said:

It's not a nightmare for about 150,000 that live in walking distance 

Would be nice if more of that 150,000 went to the games though.  I reckon about half of crowd on Saturday's come from outside Sheffield.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, mogbad said:

I say it every time we have a new stadium thread I love the thrill of travelling to Hillsborough for a match & have done so for nearly 60 years & ideally I'd want us to stay where we are & redevelop Hillsborough.

However I don't believe the footprint of Hillsborough will allow sufficient redevelopment & facilities to generate the income that a Premier league team needs to bring in 7 days a week.

Maybe DC could purchase adjacent land to build facilities but I doubt the current location away from major transport links will draw in sufficient custom to maximise any new development & facilities.

I'll have more than a tear in my eye to walk away from Hillsborough for the last time but if we get to the promised land of the Premier & want to establish ourselves there I personally believe a new stadium in a more commercially viable area is unfortunately a necessity.

We have been gong to Hillsborough for about the same time and I share a lot of your sentiments.

But I really don't see how the numbers for moving stack up. The current stadium is on land we own but it's very poor quality land in terms of redevelopment so how do we realise any true vale for Hillsborough?  If we are going to buy a better location and build a new stadium how many decades will it take to get our money back. How can that be commercially viable? 

Edited by Geedee

5 hours ago, the monk said:

Rubbish,  they are busy 6 days a week 

I never said they weren’t. But they are vastly busier on a match day than on a non-match day. 

If you take away 23 match days per year from the area, they aren’t going to make as much money, are they?

Edited by Loxley Owl

9 hours ago, Loxley Owl said:

They’ve got 6 shops within a few minutes’ walk of the stadium that are all very busy on match day- top and bottom of Herries Road, Leppings Lane tram stop, Middlewood Road in Hillsborough, Bradfield Road, Halifax Road. They would all take a massive hit if the stadium moved away.

I'm referring to your original post that Beres are completely reliant on match day trade and are only just surviving in the summer. Matchday trade accounts for less than 1% of added revenue.

31 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

How on earth do you come to that absurd conclusion ?

Cos I used to travel on the train from London, drove from Birmingham before that; and saw and met a lot of fans from London, Lichfield, Derby, Manchester, Birmingham, Huddersfield, Wakefield, etc. that used to travel to games week in week out.  

What I’m saying is that we have a high percentage of fans that travel from outside of Sheffield; for a city that has over 500k population, sometimes I think we could do better in terms of  attendance. When you consider places like Derby, Sunderland, etc. 

Off Smithy Wood Drive and Cowley Way, close to J35 of M1. Close to a DHL depot.

There's a huge block of land that is big enough to take a stadium, and to provide car parking.

Quick access to M1.

Station at Chapeltown or build a small platform where the line crosses Nether Lane.

image.png.d5c9b46536e13a566d77e325dbf3c951.png

image.png

1 hour ago, Rogers said:

Cos I used to travel on the train from London, drove from Birmingham before that; and saw and met a lot of fans from London, Lichfield, Derby, Manchester, Birmingham, Huddersfield, Wakefield, etc. that used to travel to games week in week out.  

What I’m saying is that we have a high percentage of fans that travel from outside of Sheffield; for a city that has over 500k population, sometimes I think we could do better in terms of  attendance. When you consider places like Derby, Sunderland, etc. 

Both cities you’ve just named have only one team though and I agree we have a healthy ex pat support but 50%....... really ?

Edited by casbahowl

1 hour ago, Sheffnet said:

Off Smithy Wood Drive and Cowley Way, close to J35 of M1. Close to a DHL depot.

There's a huge block of land that is big enough to take a stadium, and to provide car parking.

Quick access to M1.

Station at Chapeltown or build a small platform where the line crosses Nether Lane.

image.png.d5c9b46536e13a566d77e325dbf3c951.png

image.png

That's a good idea.

Its a traffic bottleneck all round there 5 days a week, might as well make it 6 days a week.

Or is there going to be some additional roads built courtesy of the money tree? Like, oh I don't know, the main arterial road in the North of the city, the A61 (Penistone Rd)? 

Or a tram stop, like, oh I don't know, the ones on Middlewood road?

Walking distance of a lot fewer people than there currently is as well, but that doesn't matter. 

1 minute ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

That's a good idea.

Its a traffic bottleneck all round there 5 days a week, might as well make it 6 days a week.

Or is there going to be some additional roads built courtesy of the money tree? Like, oh I don't know, the main arterial road in the North of the city, the A61 (Penistone Rd)? 

Or a tram stop, like, oh I don't know, the ones on Middlewood road?

Walking distance of a lot fewer people than there currently is as well, but that doesn't matter. 

Don't worry mate.  At least the dozen or so who come from West Yorks will save 1/2 hour on their journey.  We shouldn't be so selfish.

20 hours ago, whatdial said:

No mate, I’m 37 and left a long while ago.

cant see where the funding for a new stadium would come from. Unless you know otherwise

congratulations, however if you had read my posts you would have seen i was agreeing with you on the level of understanding of the finance needed to bring about such a move. 

my question was suggesting that it was very 'nieve' issue when you look at the situation the club and owner is in, and supporting you in your posting.