Stadium location?

Guest Grez Bez
22 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

We do not need to spend millions on a new stadium when this will do just fine .

That would be polishing a turd IMO. Hillsborough can be upgraded but if we did it whilst leaving a tree at the back of the Kop we would be half arsing it!

5 hours ago, Loxley Owl said:

Relocation would ruin many of the local businesses- the pubs, Beres, the other cafes and chip shops etc. All these places have business models completely reliant on making money during the season and surviving in the summer.

Beres doesn’t 

If we are ever to compete at the top level of English football and attract 60,000 every week unfortunately we  would need to move. If we are happy to be a average championship side stay where we are.Wrongly most people remember our current ground for the wrong reasons.

1 hour ago, LSOwls said:

That would be polishing a turd IMO. Hillsborough can be upgraded but if we did it whilst leaving a tree at the back of the Kop we would be half arsing it!

Dont worry ,im sure sheffield council will get round to chopping it down before long. lol

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, rs99 said:

Beres doesn’t 

They’ve got 6 shops within a few minutes’ walk of the stadium that are all very busy on match day- top and bottom of Herries Road, Leppings Lane tram stop, Middlewood Road in Hillsborough, Bradfield Road, Halifax Road. They would all take a massive hit if the stadium moved away.

The ONLY stand that is fit for purpose is the South which does look magnificent from the inside of the stadium, looks good from the park across the road or coming up the road on the tram, but inside the concourse areas out off date and too small with no room to expand it.

The Norths dated and aged with signs of deterioration (still my favourite stand to sit in though), the Kop looks a mess, inside and outside, the whole leppings lane end of the ground should have been gone a long time ago, the facilities are aged and "tired".

Scores 10/10 for tradition and history and all that we see with out blue tinted goggles but we have to face facts to compete financially we have to bring money into the club 7 days a week form non footballing related things, now let's be honest who the hell is gunna want to traipse out to a northern Sheffield suburb for business conferences, weddings etc...... no-one apart from die-hard Wednesday fans , commercially our location is crippling or at least limiting the club, holding it back.

It's not about whether it's a so called flat packed "souless" bowl (souless? Hillsborough aint exactly a cauldron of noise these days) as not all the new grounds are like that, even Chesterfields don't look bad layout wise, they don't all have to be like The Reebok,McAlpine (or whatever they are named now) or Keepmoat, it's a lot to do with the location as well as the ground itself and potential income streams.

Edited by steveger

One of the other reasons i never feel like going these days the facilities are all shyte, don't enjoy it no more, dirty old brick walls, flaking paint, weeds and muck, crappy views, overpriced everything, garbage food, filthy prehistoric toilet facilities, jumped up stewards, public transport nightmare.

I do miss the chip shop though :biggrin:

Edited by steveger
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, steveger said:

The ONLY stand that is fit for purpose is the South which does look magnificent from the inside of the stadium, looks good from the park across the road or coming up the road on the tram, but inside the concourse areas out off date and too small with no room to expand it.

The Norths dated and aged with signs of deterioration (still my favourite stand to sit in though), the Kop looks a mess, inside and outside, the whole leppings lane end of the ground should have been gone a long time ago, the facilities are aged and "tired".

Scores 10/10 for tradition and history and all that we see with out blue tinted goggles but we have to face facts to compete financially we have to bring money into the club 7 days a week form non footballing related things, now let's be honest who the hell is gunna want to traipse out to a northern Sheffield suburb for business conferences, weddings etc...... no-one apart from die-hard Wednesday fans , commercially our location is crippling or at least limiting the club, holding it back.

It's not about whether it's a so called flat packed "souless" bowl (souless? Hillsborough aint exactly a cauldron of noise these days) as not all the new grounds are like that, even Chesterfields don't look bad layout wise, they don't all have to be like The Reebok,McAlpine (or whatever they are named now) or Keepmoat, it's a lot to do with the location as well as the ground itself and potential income streams.

Great Post there.It's like what i've been saying so many times,Hillsborough has reached the end of it's working life as a football stadium and the time is now fast approaching where we may have to make one of two decisions,Either Upgrade or Relocate.Personally, for me it's time to build a new stadium.

• Thanks 1

This debate will go on until the club make an announcement one way or the other. Whatever the decision is it will not please everyone but one thing is for sure the stadium as it is doesn't meet the criteria for a modern stadium facility or capacity wise 

The decision when it comes will be the biggest one made in a long long time maybe the biggest ever it will determine our future outline our ambitions and will impact the club for generations it needs to be the right one. My only condition either way would be we end up with a modern World Cup ready stadium with the facility's required for the modern era and although I hate to say it that will probably be away from hillsborough 

Guest The Horse

I very much doubt that Beres and the chip shops rely solely on 23 hrs (ish)  of trade per year from our home matches.

The fans are a bonus not the core trade.

1 hour ago, Loxley Owl said:

They’ve got 6 shops within a few minutes’ walk of the stadium that are all very busy on match day- top and bottom of Herries Road, Leppings Lane tram stop, Middlewood Road in Hillsborough, Bradfield Road, Halifax Road. They would all take a massive hit if the stadium moved away.

Rubbish,  they are busy 6 days a week