Sheffield Wednesday 0 : 0 Swansea City FA Cup OMDT

Absolutely brilliant OMDT, Snoots. Encapsulates all I feel about  the FA Cup. Especially the smell of pipe smoke drifting across the pitch from God knows where. Were there really that many pipe smokers way back when? Or did Wednesday produce the stuff in a special machine under the stands and blast it out for special effect to delight the fans?

Truly poetic and deserves to be published in an evocation of the times when football really was The People's Game.

Top class, sir.

Now I'll get back in my coffin:laugh:

We can't lose to a Welsh team managed by one of our own, can we?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

Well, back in 61-2 when we played them there was nothing like 50k.   

i can remember playing Mansfield in the 4th round with 49k in , second division brum with 52k in the 67-69.........other 5round home ties in the 60s 65k man utd,chelsea 49k......the Swansea game was the 3rd round and we pulled 35 k ......the cup mattered back then 

7 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

So. The Fifth round. With the Quarter finals in store for the winners. 

No automatic alt text available.

People talk about the magic of the cup. These days of course, that phrase is used  as a blunt instrument to try and get people excited once more about the old competition. 

It's true of course,that it hasn't been taken as seriously in recent years as it was in it's prime. An example of how money has changed the game forever. Will any amount of marketing change that? I don't think so. There are generations who have grown up with it not being seen as important.

But for me the magic of the cup won't be magnified any more everytime Gary Lineker uses the phrase.  Nor is my excitement  really made stronger by seeing old clips of Ronnie Radford against Newcastle.  No. Magic for me, is a state of mind. I don't need the message drumming in by the Marketing drives because simply  I've always loved the Cup.

The memories seem so powerful. So vidid. The aroma of pipe smoke drifts across the stand in the clear cool afternoon sky.  A bag of spice is handed down the row to the neighbours.  A brass marching band performs a in a tiny formation square on the pitch before parading neatly down the tunnel. 

On the Kop small pockets start to form as people arrive at their predetermined meeting point. People lean on the barrier trying read through the programme. Little pen pics and profiles of the opposition players. Some use it as a visor to block the low winter sun.  Through the ages the scene changed slightly. Like looking through a kaleidoscope. All the same but also different.  Long coats and flat caps, to a sea of double denim, to bucket hats and curtains, from standing to sitting.

If I think about it properly. These things probably happened at hundreds of games I have seen in my life.  But somehow. they seem more vivid when I recall Cup matches.  I have no idea why. Anyone else the same? 

Maybe it reminds me of a different time. When life seemed so much simpler.  other than to say that it is my love of that fine old trophy.

Image result for FA cUP trophy

I've never seen us get our hands on the sodding thing. Maybe that's another reason. I covet the FA Cup. It's like an unrequited love. I've seen other clubs get their grubby hands on it.  Slaggs who've held it too many times and take it for granted.  

I've looked longingly at that Cup so many times.  I've send my energies down onto the pitch and hoped I might transfer that extra spark or bit of luck. I've even muttered a prayer. Even though I'm not religious and have no idea who the recipient of the wish was aimed at.

That most beautiful cup ...I am still in awe of it.  It couldn't raise more desire in my soul if it had been crafted by Sauron himself in the fire of Orodruin.

I think that I could genuinely  die happy if I ever saw Wednesday lift that most famous and iconic piece of silverware.

"You can always tell a classic when people the world over can tell by the silhouette" opined my late uncle. He was actually talking about a Spitfire, which he had a tendency to do. Even long after the war.

But the same is true of FA Cup. It's instantly recognisable shape. 

Image result for fa cup ronnie starling sheffield wednesday team

It's been devalued , but only in the minds of the weak. Of the easily impressed.

People would rather finish fourth in the top flight than win the Cup. Well more fool them. Football is about the magic moments.

I live in the hope, I dream at night of seeing a Wednesday Captain lift that trophy.

Match facts

• The Owls won the only previous FA Cup encounter between these sides, 1-0 at home in a third-round tie in January 1962.

• Swansea have only won one of their past nine meetings with Sheffield Wednesday in all competitions (D4 L4), though this is their first such meeting since March 2010 in the Championship.

• Wednesday haven't reached the FA Cup quarter-finals since the 1996-97 campaign, losing their four fifth-round ties since then.

• Sheffield Wednesday haven't beaten top-flight opposition in the FA Cup since their 1993 semi-final win over Sheffield United, drawing five and losing 12 since.

• The Swans recorded their biggest ever FA Cup win in their fourth-round replay against Notts County (8-1), making them the highest scoring top-flight side in the competition this season (11).

• Swansea have lost just one of their 11 matches in all competitions since Carlos Carvalhal took charge, winning six and drawing four. The Swans had won just five of their previous 23 games before Carvalhal's appointment this season.

Teams ~

Swansea are  going to make some changes apparently.  They have more important things to worry about than this. Like staying in the Top division.

Jos has already stated that Cameron Dawson will continue in goal.  A decision which could be read two ways.One that he's got one eye on Millwall on tuesday and doesn't want to risk Wildsmith.  Or  that he feels Dawson deserves a chance after doing well in the previous rounds. 
It's possibly a bit of both. But I suspect the latter is the bigger factor. 

Image result for cameron dawson

Young lads  Thorniley, Stobbs and  Clare are all cup-tied due to cup appearances for Accrington Stanley, Gillingham and Port Vale earlier this season.

Ross Wallace would be the obvious candidate to come into midfield for the energetic Clare. 

Up front Joao is the real spark for Wednesday and must surely play. Who will partner him. Rhodes? Who looked so much more lively in the week or Big Adthe Nuhiu who has been something of a Cup Talisman this season for Wednesday?

What a dream it would be to see our lads on that Wembley turf, wearing bobble hats and scarves and parading the cup. Too see Ross Wallace being held aloft on Adthes shoulder. To see Jordan Rhodes dancing with the Cup lid on his head.

Can we get there? What will we do tomorrow?  No idea.

I just can't predict what the Josmeister General will do. No one can -and I love that aswell. 

In fact I'm feeling loved up full stop here

I cannot wait to walk that walk I've made a million times, and know I'll do so with that little extra skip in my step. Because today is... Cup day. 

Image result for sheffield wednesday swansea sky

So get out there boys  and give it all you have got and you might one day be looking at photos of yourselves sat with that magnificent trophy.

You too will be revered. Will join the names of the legends of this club.

We'll be with you and making some noise. We'll be giving it everything we've got from the stands.

Every one of us, player, coach, manager, and fan...we go out tomorrow and give it the full gun. 

Show them and the watching World what it means to us, show them that Sheffield Wednesday this famous old club want that Cup and we're going to do everything we can to get it. 

COME ON WEDNESDAY

That brought a year to my eye. 

UTO

Well, after being shocked to the core on Tuesday night by our surprising performance and result I am quietly confident we can give these Mumblers a good stuffing. Wife was at uni in Swansea and shared a house on Cumdonkin RoadWTF: Course I didn’t believe such an address could exist in the real world, but she actually showed me it once...

..and she took me to see her flat in Swansea!:tango:

Up the Owls, come on you blue and white wizards let’s show these lilywhite, spitty  bird things the tradesmans entrance.

luvvin’ the Cup ever since that 1966 debacle against the sticky toffee puddings. Will be viewing via my BT box thingy, had it for five years and barely watched owt on BT Sport and now this...incidentally as it’s a lunchtime kick off I thought Snooty would have mentioned “our pie of choice” today...steak pasty for me...being in Cornwall like! Good luck to all those attending today give em a cheer from me and I think we’ll see Carlos the Cobra squirming away from the ground later today.:laugh:

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

i can remember playing Mansfield in the 4th round with 49k in , second division brum with 52k in the 67-69.........other 5round home ties in the 60s 65k man utd,chelsea 49k......the Swansea game was the 3rd round and we pulled 35 k ......the cup mattered back then 

Leeds the round before the Brum game was well over 50,000. Am I right in thinking the Mansfield match was when Gary Scorthorn plays in goal or am I getting mixed up with Macclesfield?

Magnificent, my Lord.

O tempora! O mores!  The Cup (Cup: FA is otiose in most contexts) shows everything that's gone wrong in football.

First, the hysteria about the top division, and its financial cliff edge.  In better days, the answer to the question "would you rather win the cup or not get relegated" was clear.  Most teams cycled between divisions; the divisions were on a continuum; some years you'd be in one and some in another.  But the FA Cup: well that was something you'd have a chance to win once every few decades.

Then the hysteria about this wretched champions league, with its tweedledees and tweedledums drawn from a few countries, marketed to people so completely beyond the pale of my understanding that they like having the same jingle played before every match.  It is seen as better to come fourth in the top division and qualify for Europe than win a trophy.  Some have said this can be solved by giving the cup winners a champions league place.  Possibly.  A better solution would be to revert to a champions cup that featured....champions.  

Finally, TV.  In happier times, there was a real sense of the shape of competition: eight 5th round games all starting 3pm on a Sat in the middle of Feb, and building together to the excitement of the teleprinter at 4:45.  Now it's scattered all over the place.  We find ourselves playing today at a time contrary to the law of Almighty God because of some godforsaken satellite TV channel.  ut more generally the cup is scattered over a long weekend and lost.

Sigh.  We'll never get it back.  And last year when we lost at Shrewsbury I found myself thinking when they equalised that the last thing I wanted was a replay.  Perhaps this time next year if we're sixth in the league I'll want us to play the reserves.

But this year.  Not going down.  Not going up.  I can feel some of the old enthusiasm coming back.  

Funny to think how less than two weeks ago we had a classic bad day at the office home defeat: two unforced errors and a lunatic sending off, and it caused meltdown here.  

I shall gently applaud the former manager if opportunity arises.  

6 minutes ago, Mickjj said:

Leeds the round before the Brum game was well over 50,000. Am I right in thinking the Mansfield match was when Gary Scorthorn plays in goal or am I getting mixed up with Macclesfield?

i think scothorn played that day ....those 4 games against leeds and brum were watched by over 200k , if we had 4 cup games against them we'd be lucky to hit 90k these days . 

Brought a year to me eye that did! League cup was the greatest day of my life in football terms but would love to see us lift the FA cup.  Those of us old enough remember when, along with the Grand National a whole nation tuned in to watch, it still matters, a lot so come on Wednesday, we can do this!

9 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

So. The Fifth round. With the Quarter finals in store for the winners. 

No automatic alt text available.

People talk about the magic of the cup. These days of course, that phrase is used  as a blunt instrument to try and get people excited once more about the old competition. 

It's true of course,that it hasn't been taken as seriously in recent years as it was in it's prime. An example of how money has changed the game forever. Will any amount of marketing change that? I don't think so. There are generations who have grown up with it not being seen as important.

But for me the magic of the cup won't be magnified any more everytime Gary Lineker uses the phrase.  Nor is my excitement  really made stronger by seeing old clips of Ronnie Radford against Newcastle.  No. Magic for me, is a state of mind. I don't need the message drumming in by the Marketing drives because simply  I've always loved the Cup.

The memories seem so powerful. So vidid. The aroma of pipe smoke drifts across the stand in the clear cool afternoon sky.  A bag of spice is handed down the row to the neighbours.  A brass marching band performs a in a tiny formation square on the pitch before parading neatly down the tunnel. 

On the Kop small pockets start to form as people arrive at their predetermined meeting point. People lean on the barrier trying read through the programme. Little pen pics and profiles of the opposition players. Some use it as a visor to block the low winter sun.  Through the ages the scene changed slightly. Like looking through a kaleidoscope. All the same but also different.  Long coats and flat caps, to a sea of double denim, to bucket hats and curtains, from standing to sitting.

If I think about it properly. These things probably happened at hundreds of games I have seen in my life.  But somehow. they seem more vivid when I recall Cup matches.  I have no idea why. Anyone else the same? 

Maybe it reminds me of a different time. When life seemed so much simpler.  other than to say that it is my love of that fine old trophy.

Image result for FA cUP trophy

I've never seen us get our hands on the sodding thing. Maybe that's another reason. I covet the FA Cup. It's like an unrequited love. I've seen other clubs get their grubby hands on it.  Slaggs who've held it too many times and take it for granted.  

I've looked longingly at that Cup so many times.  I've send my energies down onto the pitch and hoped I might transfer that extra spark or bit of luck. I've even muttered a prayer. Even though I'm not religious and have no idea who the recipient of the wish was aimed at.

That most beautiful cup ...I am still in awe of it.  It couldn't raise more desire in my soul if it had been crafted by Sauron himself in the fire of Orodruin.

I think that I could genuinely  die happy if I ever saw Wednesday lift that most famous and iconic piece of silverware.

"You can always tell a classic when people the world over can tell by the silhouette" opined my late uncle. He was actually talking about a Spitfire, which he had a tendency to do. Even long after the war.

But the same is true of FA Cup. It's instantly recognisable shape. 

Image result for fa cup ronnie starling sheffield wednesday team

It's been devalued , but only in the minds of the weak. Of the easily impressed.

People would rather finish fourth in the top flight than win the Cup. Well more fool them. Football is about the magic moments.

I live in the hope, I dream at night of seeing a Wednesday Captain lift that trophy.

Match facts

• The Owls won the only previous FA Cup encounter between these sides, 1-0 at home in a third-round tie in January 1962.

• Swansea have only won one of their past nine meetings with Sheffield Wednesday in all competitions (D4 L4), though this is their first such meeting since March 2010 in the Championship.

• Wednesday haven't reached the FA Cup quarter-finals since the 1996-97 campaign, losing their four fifth-round ties since then.

• Sheffield Wednesday haven't beaten top-flight opposition in the FA Cup since their 1993 semi-final win over Sheffield United, drawing five and losing 12 since.

• The Swans recorded their biggest ever FA Cup win in their fourth-round replay against Notts County (8-1), making them the highest scoring top-flight side in the competition this season (11).

• Swansea have lost just one of their 11 matches in all competitions since Carlos Carvalhal took charge, winning six and drawing four. The Swans had won just five of their previous 23 games before Carvalhal's appointment this season.

Teams ~

Swansea are  going to make some changes apparently.  They have more important things to worry about than this. Like staying in the Top division.

Jos has already stated that Cameron Dawson will continue in goal.  A decision which could be read two ways.One that he's got one eye on Millwall on tuesday and doesn't want to risk Wildsmith.  Or  that he feels Dawson deserves a chance after doing well in the previous rounds. 
It's possibly a bit of both. But I suspect the latter is the bigger factor. 

Image result for cameron dawson

Young lads  Thorniley, Stobbs and  Clare are all cup-tied due to cup appearances for Accrington Stanley, Gillingham and Port Vale earlier this season.

Ross Wallace would be the obvious candidate to come into midfield for the energetic Clare. 

Up front Joao is the real spark for Wednesday and must surely play. Who will partner him. Rhodes? Who looked so much more lively in the week or Big Adthe Nuhiu who has been something of a Cup Talisman this season for Wednesday?

What a dream it would be to see our lads on that Wembley turf, wearing bobble hats and scarves and parading the cup. Too see Ross Wallace being held aloft on Adthes shoulder. To see Jordan Rhodes dancing with the Cup lid on his head.

Can we get there? What will we do tomorrow?  No idea.

I just can't predict what the Josmeister General will do. No one can -and I love that aswell. 

In fact I'm feeling loved up full stop here

I cannot wait to walk that walk I've made a million times, and know I'll do so with that little extra skip in my step. Because today is... Cup day. 

Image result for sheffield wednesday swansea sky

So get out there boys  and give it all you have got and you might one day be looking at photos of yourselves sat with that magnificent trophy.

You too will be revered. Will join the names of the legends of this club.

We'll be with you and making some noise. We'll be giving it everything we've got from the stands.

Every one of us, player, coach, manager, and fan...we go out tomorrow and give it the full gun. 

Show them and the watching World what it means to us, show them that Sheffield Wednesday this famous old club want that Cup and we're going to do everything we can to get it. 

COME ON WEDNESDAY

I've not posted in an OMDT out of superstition since last season and look where that got us.

Snoots I thought Pauli would be a hard act to follow but your Saturday tripe enriches my sweaty equatorial veins.

We're gonna get beat, they've got a lot of pace but Carlos WILL BE SCARED OF JOAO and so in some ways we have a trump card of unpredictability.  If he doesn't know which way his big legs will take the ball neither has Carlos!

Up the Owls!