Ask The Chairman Part 13 - GEORGE HIRST

Just now, Watson said:

Why have they managed it badly?  Stop asserting and give your reasons. 

I’m sensing a bit of unintended tension, maybe from my post, maybe from the previous 33 pages.

A young player showing good potential who supports the club has slipped through our fingers. That disappoints me and makes me doubt the clubs management. That’s just my feeling, I’ve not made up some facts or got a counter arguement to the facts. I’ve just commented to say the situation doesn’t convince me as it reminds me of the past when we were badly managed.

I think you may have read more into it than I intended. 

Just now, Reallondonowl said:

The “evidence” is from one side. Typically you hear evidence from both sides before formulating a judgement in the UK at least

As others have said,  if what the statement says isn't true the chairman could find himself in deep do do so I'm siding with them for the minute

After reading the statement and reading between the lines, I think the club are being very stubborn here. They have basically said take it or leave it, with no middle ground.

Each persons wage structure should be considered individually. To say that we have offered Hirst more than any other youth team player carries no weight. He is the best prospect we have had in my time of following the owls.

He is a goal scorer and they are like gold dust, yeah he may not make it, but in the big scheme of things if he is asking for 10k per week for 3 years that's 1.5 million. Not a lot compared to what we have been splashing out. Also maybe other clubs won't pay his full loan wages, what's wrong with going 50/50 like other clubs have with us in the past.

As owlstalk has said even if he doesn't make it you would probably get your investment back as a minimum.

This seems symptomatic of the club these days take it or leave it.

1 minute ago, slow83 said:

I’m sensing a bit of unintended tension, maybe from my post, maybe from the previous 33 pages.

A young player showing good potential who supports the club has slipped through our fingers. That disappoints me and makes me doubt the clubs management. That’s just my feeling, I’ve not made up some facts or got a counter arguement to the facts. I’ve just commented to say the situation doesn’t convince me as it reminds me of the past when we were badly managed.

So you offer nothing more than a feeling?  I certainly did read more into your previous posts thought you had something intelligent to offer, I was sadly mistaken.

• Haha 2

Just now, NYowl said:

After reading the statement and reading between the lines, I think the club are being very stubborn here. They have basically said take it or leave it, with no middle ground.

I would stop reading between the lines then, because its blank space

the club haven't said take it or leave it, they have asked the player what he wants.....and he wants the earth

1 minute ago, NYowl said:

Each persons wage structure should be considered individually. To say that we have offered Hirst more than any other youth team player carries no weight. He is the best prospect we have had in my time of following the owls.

He is a goal scorer and they are like gold dust, yeah he may not make it, but in the big scheme of things if he is asking for 10k per week for 3 years that's 1.5 million. Not a lot compared to what we have been splashing out. Also maybe other clubs won't pay his full loan wages, what's wrong with going 50/50 like other clubs have with us in the past.

As owlstalk has said even if he doesn't make it you would probably get your investment back as a minimum.

This seems symptomatic of the club these days take it or leave it.

Some very good well-made points. I for one would feel more passion watching a young George did for the cause than watch “past sell_by date “ strikers failing to take a shot (whether or not on target)

simple

2 minutes ago, slow83 said:

According to the to the statement he's been offered the biggest deal ever for a junior player and he's asked for wages on a parity with a 1st team player and the club have said no. Seems excellent management to me. Something to ponder on. If the club had met his demands would it have taken us over FFP and if so how would people think about that? Obviously a hypothetical question. 

1 minute ago, darra said:

According to the to the statement he's been offered the biggest deal ever for a junior player and he's asked for wages on a parity with a 1st team player and the club have said no. Seems excellent management to me. Something to ponder on. If the club had met his demands would it have taken us over FFP and if so how would people think about that? Obviously a hypothetical question. 

.........and we'd have unsettled every player whose wage was approached or overtaken.

36 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

That's a fair enough request

But let's not go member seeking or attacking people

If people make claims that they know something but don't back it up then that's clearly either not true or they can't say

Bit like saying you have seen members posting that they held court with David Hirst but you have no evidence of it?

See how it works?

lol

Anyway - I'm off to the loo as I've had a massive kebab and a line of coke and need a massive poo

That's actually genuinely fact but I'm not going to post the evidence

lol

Not partial to the Columbian marching powder but never realised it's uses as an alternative laxative treatment ?

Surely Senacot would suffice?

Each to their own eh?:duntmatter:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Watson said:

So you offer nothing more than a feeling?  I certainly did read more into your previous posts thought you had something intelligent to offer, I was sadly mistaken.

Yep I offered my feelings as I thought this was a forum where we shared what we think.

We’ve never met, I made one post which wasn’t unreasonable and you’ve had a pop at me personally.

I think youre out of order Watson.

• Haha 1

Doyen Sports and Doyen global are two seperate things....they don't talk to each other or anything.

In fact none of them have ever had any contact with each other at all and there is definitly, definitly no conflict of interest.

None at all...

Aye.

Ok

59f6344a0902a_2017-10-2620_11_33.jpg.e9c66278b0ebd37834eb14b270db02a7.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, slow83 said:

Yep I offered my feelings as I thought this was a forum where we shared what we think.

We’ve never met, I made one post which wasn’t unreasonable and you’ve had a pop at me personally.

I think youre out of order Watson.

You had a pop at the club I support, I defended them, whats the problem? 

Pistols at dawn.

Football contracts are very complex, if you have and good agents will get you a good deal.

Take Fletcher for instance he signs, not sure how much, but other players must have had clauses in their contracts because we handed out a fair few. FF's agent may have dropped a ball by not inserting a clause.

Now GH may have been offered 3k a week for 4/5 years. A good deal at 18 but if he breaks into the first team, scores goals and plays more games then some of the senior players on our books then surely his wage would have to match theirs at the very least.

If we got promoted and other PL teams are paying their your between 15K-25K a week, then surely you would ask for the same.

As Sally mentioned though if he did the above he would be offered a decent wage by whoever was willing. On the otherside of the coin as his dad knows too well, a bad tackle could see him not become the player he should have been.

Both parties are looking after their own interests, if you believe you are worth something then go out and get it.

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

Doyen Sports and Doyen global are two seperate things....they don't talk to each other or anything.

In fact none of them have ever had any contact with each other at all and there is definitly, definitly no conflict of interest.

None at all...

Aye.

Ok

59f6344a0902a_2017-10-2620_11_33.jpg.e9c66278b0ebd37834eb14b270db02a7.jpg

Thank god you've turned up Snooty, all been going pear shaped on here tonight.

I can't help feeling though that puppet thing with Doyen you keep using is the wrong way round, I mean shouldn't it be Doyen what are pulling the strings? Just an observation mind.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NYowl said:

Very informative response, would you care to let us know what this earth actually.

Unsurprisingly, DC didn't give an exact figure because it would be highly unprofessional to reveal such details from a private negotiation - it's already pretty unprecedented releasing this amount of info about contract negotiations, but it's a move from DC that I appreciate as it demonstrates more openness than a lot of clubs are used to (I think he's worthy of a lot of praise for the whole Ask the Chairman initiative - even if his answers haven't always been exactly what we'd like, the answers have been eloquent and honest, and to my knowledge he doesn't seem to have avoided any uncomfortable questions, he's answered everything requested to a greater or lesser extent).

We have some pretty high earners at this club so if Hirst is demanded the wages of an established first team player then it's probably going to be heading towards 5 figures per week - everybody seems to be using £10k/week as a benchmark, which frankly would be an absolutely outrageous sum for a second division club to shell out on a player who has never played a senior league game. All this pain and anger is essentially stemming from the unpleasant realisation that we've been priced out of the market for a player who could have been one of Hillsborough's all-time favourite sons if things had turned out differently.

• Like 1