Ask The Chairman Part 13 - GEORGE HIRST

1 minute ago, darra said:

But if someones backs up those decisions with reasons and evidence for them?

It doesn't mean they're correct. Jimmy Saville may have had his reasons but I wouldn't have trusted him to babysit the kids. 

I suppose it comes down to how you view what is being said. I take it all as propaganda to make himself liked by the fans. Others may see it differently. 

22 minutes ago, trueblue1987 said:

I feel like he's stripping what I consider to be my club  away from me. New badge, no stripes, pricing fans out of the game. He clearly doesn't understand the area etc. Maybe I'm flouncing and making a drama out of it but it doesn't feel like my team as much as it used to. I now feel less excited about going than I used to. Yes we've made progress on the pitch but in doing so I think we've alienated fans. 

3 minutes ago, trueblue1987 said:

The decisions we make are what generates trust. 

On that basis, you have to give his decisions a chance and judge them on their merits after a longer period of time. If he pulls off the dream, many things will be forgiven by our fans, such is the nature of football. They will completely trust him into the future, until the next time we have a wobble.Trust is a thing earned over an extended period of time, not just a couple of years. Given his past 13 club statements are trying to explain his decisions openly and truthfully and they may have alittle club spin stitched through them, his endeavours are more than any other previous chairman has done to provide an insight.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Whatahoot said:

On that basis, you have to give his decisions a chance and judge them on their merits after a longer period of time. If he pulls off the dream, many things will be forgiven by our fans, such is the nature of football. They will completely trust him into the future, until the next time we have a wobble.Trust is a thing earned over an extended period of time, not just a couple of years. Given his past 13 club statements are trying to explain his decisions openly and truthfully and they may have alittle club spin stitched through them, his endeavours are more than any other previous chairman has done to provide an insight.

Best post of the night. 

My only comment before was just because he's said something it isn't gospel. Dont slate GH just because of what DC has put.I hope he earns our (my) trust, I hope he has the best interest at the club at heart, I hope he delivers what he wants for the club. But I hope he doesn't strip away too much of what makes Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield Wednesday. 

57 minutes ago, darra said:

Until what the statement has said is challenged by Hirst representatives and their side of the story published we only have the clubs account to go on.. If they choose not to challenge it assumptions will be made.

Very true. There is only one truth out there at the moment and it comes from the Chairman. I believe that his statement is unarguable (he cannot lie in official statements), and I’ll be very surprised if we hear anything official from GH and his team. They may continue with leaks and innuendo via third parties, but this will undermine their position, and you’re right - assumptions will be made.

1 hour ago, Whatahoot said:

I seem to remember that Davis Hirst left his academy coaching role, at the request of the club, due to a possible conflict of interest ie Hirst senior acting as an adviser to his son. From that point the relationship between the Club and Hirst Snr, appears to have gone downhill. Beware what comes back to bite yer bum ?

This is pure conjecture, but wasn't there strong rumours at the start of this year (just after we signed Winnall and Rhodes) that Hirst sr. ended up in a huge row with club staff over George's lack of chances in the first team? Would probably fit into the narrative that seems to be developing, especially given DC's reference to when tempers have flared.

The reality is a player who's earned a good wage throughout his career may have been sensible enough to allow himself a 'sentimental' decision to sign for his boyhood/hometown club- Billy Sharp springs to mind.

For a player at the very start of his career he is not going to be encouraged by any advisor worth their salt to take a lesser offer from a club, just because it's HIS club- and it would take a pretty headstrong 18 year old to do so.

This is just one of those situations where being a Championship club with a 'hot property' stinks- the financial might of the PL dictates it's only a matter of time (usually the tail end of a contract) before you lose your asset, because between them they can afford to simply Hoover up the talent out there. It's just the way of the world now.

Brooks won't be far behind (unless they go up) regardless of his new contract. The unfortunate thing for us is that we weren't able to tie Hirst down to a longer deal last time round. I believe the maximum he's allowed to sign at 18 is 3 years anyway.

The trick is to maximise the value. Only the tribunal decision/January fee will tell us if we've done that.

Edited by RUMBELOWS91

2 hours ago, Mrmason69 said:

Well done wednesday. Your weird  up  and craving for power and control lhas driven away a young player with the potential to be one of the very best in the Premiere league.

I'm not so sure.

Yes he looks like one of the best finishers in his age group, but if he really has the potential to become as great a player as many posters on here believe, why have only Leicester, Leeds and possibly Everton shown any real interest?

Surely if he really has the potential to become a Premier league Superstar he would be attracting attention from the likes of Chelsea, Man U, Man City etc.:wacko:

Edited by oldtawnyowl

Well done Mr Chansiri and well done Sheffield Wednesday. In my opinion they have handled the situation correctly, protected themselves in a situation where 99% of the time the club will always lose. Yes he will leave and he may well go on to be a top player (impossible to say based on two appearances off the bench) but Sheffield Wednesday Football Club is bigger than one player. The amount of nonsense I have heard surrounding this situation from on here, twitter and at Hillsborough has been ridiculous. The fact that people have basically said he can do whatever he likes because he's David's son and we should pay him whatever because he's David's son and that he should be in the team immediately because he is David's son has been really odd to hear. I didn't see David Hirst play for Sheffield Wednesday and maybe it's helped in my viewing of the situation because I probably don't have that connection to David Hirst as others 10+ years old than me will do. I see George like any other young player, obviously he was always going to have the attention because of the name, that's life. He won't have that at Leicester or Newcastle or wherever he goes. I stand by the point that if his name wasn't George Hirst 90% of the people that have defended Hirst on this matter would be saying exactly the same as me. I'd also like to know what those such as Jon Newsome who were so convinced the situation was the opposite have to say. Were their 'sources' in fact just themselves and their own thoughts?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cowl said:

No. He played for the U20s in June, then next played for the U19s at the start of September after the window had shut.

And, no, he wasn't injured. You're right that he wasn't selected by his coach though - and that's the point - it was under orders from DC.

And rightly so, if DC is privy to GH’s intentions and attitude.

I am aware that this happened after a lucarative contract had been put in front of GH (one of the aforementioned contracts in DC’s statement) and GH refused to sign it, after initially saying he would. 

So, FairPlay to DC! 

Edited by AwokenGiant

6 completely random things:

1. 10k a week? Double it

2. Would you play on loan and risk injury / poor performance knowing what you could already get without having to prove yourself further?

3. 5m + 40% sell on

4. A player who played for Newcastle for a long time and a relatively regular starter was paid less that Tino Asprilla's interpreter

5. The Head of EPPP job was touted at 65k a year

6. You could become the Performance Director at the SFA for a little more

Oh and, I definitely saw a couple of comments about the Hirst case with a statement of fact followed by "source, his Dad"

I understand the clubs stance on this with the wage structure but 

how much money have we seen wasted on dead wood players since dc has been here, we have seen various players come here and we never see them on the pitch, the only real difference between signing an unproven foreign player and an unproven youngster is his age, they are both a gamble.

Looks like it's time for David to cash in on his pension plan.

Good luck to them both, I'm sure they'll both make more money with this one deal than the average fan sees in 5-10 years (at least).

Now lets all move on to obsessing about the next money grabbing ****.

#DepressedAboutTheStateOfFootball

Guest Hillsborough Mole
1 minute ago, GoldGigsChris said:

If David Hirst had wanted the best for his kid 8 years ago, he would've sent him to uniteds academy - which WAS miles ahead of ours at the time.

To be fair - it still is.

Uniteds Academy is one of only 2 that has contributed most player minutes to the Premier League this season (the other being Bayern Munich)

We're not even in the top 10 academies in the Championship.