Who is Sheffield Wednesday's greatest ever goalkeeper?

1 hour ago, Weshallovercome said:

Has anyone said Ron Springett yet?

Several times and I've given him my vote. Seems like a no contest for those of us who are old enough to remember him. 

• Like 2

Ron Springett without a doubt Is by far the best, as I saw most of his games .

Martin Hodge was good but so was Peter Springett Ron’s brother who signed for us in a swap deal from QPR but not in the same bracket as Ron.

On 07/01/2024 at 21:29, REDOWL said:

Ron Springett for me.......reading this I'm feeling old.

IMG_20231125_161018.jpg

Oh! FFS just stop it

Reading this makes me realise I  AM

F'kin old.

Yea, Ron Springett, no question.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, A47Owl said:

Several times and I've given him my vote. Seems like a no contest for those of us who are old enough to remember him. 

I know, just being facetious, like you say those who had the privilege to see him play would always say Ron.

• Like 1

Grobbelar probably the best that’s pulled on a Wednesday shirt but in terms of specific performance for SWFC, Ron Springett and it’s a no-contest really.   No one else comes close.  

On 08/01/2024 at 12:36, Bramhall Owl said:

The best save I ever saw was by Bolder at Cambridge in 82/83, I think it was in the league game but it might have been the cup tie. Long range effort took a late deflection and he changed direction in mid air to tip the ball over the bar. After a shaky start for us, he became a very good keeper

Saw bob bolder throwing wellies at OWLERTON speedway in the 70s or 80s any one remember that? 

Shout out for Srnicek. Sadly missed.

Still remember actually buying a newspaper when Woods signed. At the time I was shocked Wednesday could sign someone of his calibre.

Probably number one is Springett, but because he was (just) before my time I can’t really say. Though anyone who was number two to Gordon Banks in 1966 has to have had something about him.

• Love 1

I'm 28, had a kit given to me from birth pretty much but only really started to pay attention in 2002/03. So in my span of following Wednesday I've seen keepers like Lee Grant, David Lucas, Kieren Westwood, Chris Kirkland. Out of the keepers I've seen, Westwood would have to be top of that list.

Overall though, I appreciate that in our history we have seen some fantastic keepers and the likes of Pressman or Springett must be the top 2.

Shout out though to Dawson for last season, 22 appearances - 14 clean sheets. That is a fantastic achievement that deserves some credit.