Who is Sheffield Wednesday's greatest ever goalkeeper?

On 09/11/2017 at 14:31, brian joicey said:

martin hodge ... most consecutive appearances by ANY wednesday player EVER (and at a high level of consistency too) ! 

Until Ogrizovic scored against him and he was never the same keeper. Bizarre really

• Like 2

On 09/11/2017 at 17:29, BDM4nil said:

In the time that I have been watching - post Ron Springett - and by virtue of what I have witnessed with my own eyes, I would have to say Martin Hodge. A very good keeper, brave and very consistent and who  also played a still club record 214 of consecutive Wednesday games - pretty impressive.

The best save I actually saw him make was a fantastic reflex save from close range, against Blackburn away, in a 0-0 draw. I forget the year and who he saved from, but i do remember myself and a good mate who were both stood directy behind the goal, both being in total awe.

UTO

The best save I ever saw was by Bolder at Cambridge in 82/83, I think it was in the league game but it might have been the cup tie. Long range effort took a late deflection and he changed direction in mid air to tip the ball over the bar. After a shaky start for us, he became a very good keeper

• Like 1

5 hours ago, leftpeg said:

Scott Carson?

For me, Pressman, Turner, Westwood, Srnicek gets a mention too, might have been the end of his career but he was great for us, Crossley, especially for the goal.

Dawson will be looked back on a lot more fondly than he is currently viewed by some, played in an atmosphere where despite being "one of our own" a good portion of the fanbase were actively hostile to him, played during the Luhaky debacle with fans chanting for another keeper to be playing even when Cam was doing nothing wrong, stuck with us, pushed past Wildsmith for the spot helped get us promoted and hopefully helps keep us in this league, will he go down as one of the greats? no of course not, but he will be fondly remembered.

I would also add Lee Grant and David Lucas. Thought both were decent.

• Like 1

Pressman every time for my era watching.  Westwood was good but all his games were in the second tier - something that counts against many on the recent list. Srnicek was a solid shot stopper but he couldn’t catch a cold, let alone a cross. Grant was similarly meh on crosses but otherwise an excellent keeper, and David Lucas is definitely underrated. Also a honourable mention to Chris Kirkland, who was very capable. 

That all said, probably the best spell of form I’ve ever seen from a Wednesday keeper was Scott Carson during his loan spell. He wasn’t with us long but for that short period he was like a one man defence. Never really forgave Steve McLaren for throwing him to the wolves the way he did. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WimJunk said:

Pressman had many times when he wasn't first choice, a bit like Dawson in many ways.

I can recall Turner, Woods, Srnicek and Tidman all being number one's, while Pressman was around.

Same could be said of Westwood I guess.

In Pressman’s case he was still very much the understudy when Turner and Woods arrived. Wilson didn’t like Pressman from his playing days, so picked up Srnicek despite it being clear to anyone with eyes that Pressman was the superior keeper. By the time you get to TIdman, Kevin was well past his best and they wanted his contract off the books….Pressman made over 400 appearances at Wednesday, so on balance he was in far more than he was out.  

• Like 1

Best keeper technically Ron Springett

Best run of form Martin Hodge -  just unbeatable for a couple of seasons

Best keeper this millenium Westwood just about from Grant

• Like 1

Watch the Owls properly since the late 80's.

I like Turner because he is a Myers Grove lad too.😁

For me though its a throw up between Kieren Westwood, Pav Srnicek and Lee Grant whose the best we have had in the last 40 years.

We had some good loans too Carson before becoming Englands No1, Turner who I thought would end up a top keeper but went back to Everton when he should have stayed on loan with us.

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Same could be said of Westwood I guess.

In Pressman’s case he was still very much the understudy when Turner and Woods arrived. Wilson didn’t like Pressman from his playing days, so picked up Srnicek despite it being clear to anyone with eyes that Pressman was the superior keeper. By the time you get to TIdman, Kevin was well past his best and they wanted his contract off the books….Pressman made over 400 appearances at Wednesday, so on balance he was in far more than he was out.  

I still think you are more harshly treated by coming through the ranks, for some reason. 

Chris Woods was no1 when I first started supporting Wednesday. He was also England's first choice keeper. I always remember watching the 93 FA cup final buildup and they were comparing Woods V Seaman and most of the pundits preferred Woods at the time. He gets my vote probably for nostalgia.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WimJunk said:

I still think you are more harshly treated by coming through the ranks, for some reason. 

I don’t know. Westwood got dropped more and he didn’t come through the ranks. I think the common denominator with Westwood and Pressman is that by all accounts both could be right divas off the pitch. 

9 hours ago, damomcca1984 said:

Chris Woods was no1 when I first started supporting Wednesday. He was also England's first choice keeper. I always remember watching the 93 FA cup final buildup and they were comparing Woods V Seaman and most of the pundits preferred Woods at the time. He gets my vote probably for nostalgia.

What were the pundits saying AFTER the match !!??

19 hours ago, GoodyOwl said:

When I first started following Wednesday (mid 90s), The goalkeepers were Chris Woods (number 1) and Pressman (Number 13). For a couple of years I always wondered who Chris Woods was as I never saw him play until the First Steel City Derby at Piggy Lane (we won 3-1). Never saw him again other than in the catalogues where he modelled everything!

For me its Pressman, especially the games against the pigs where he was unbeatable. 

Woods had another notable steel city derby which also ended 3-1 (1-3)..kin useless that night