Carlos Carvalhal on SWFC form 'It's a mental thing but I don't want to discuss in the press'

3 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

Not saying he brought it up - just that if he said it was private, why mention it, unless the question was specifically about players mentality ?

Haven't watched it yet so my comment only related to what was written in the post

yeah it'll make sense when you watch the video I guess

I didnt' explain it well in the OP

Owlstalk Shop

39 minutes ago, Animis said:

did the same with Rhodes and the penalty after the Huddersfield game.

To be fair that was immediately after losing a penalty shoot out , I think I would have done the same, I would have been livid.

Difficult to contain your thoughts in those moments.

48 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

If this is the case why mention it at a press conference

It's an indirect way of letting the players know, that he knows. Instead of saying it in the changing room & all hell breaking loose.

Same as the Rhodes penalty thing. I think he's saying 'bloody coward' & 'this is what I'm up against' by making it public, but not putting Rhodes down in front of the other players.

We always seem to be rhubarb after a rest period. There was a break from our good run before the Hudders semis with the weaker team against Fulham. We didn't turn up then. We didn't at Wembley after a break. We didn't against Preston after time off & we didn't against Bolton.

Do we still train etc in these non matchday periods? And if CC knows the mental problem, solve it. Can't fault his 'nads for saying we'll go up, and it is still only October. Rather have that than a manager who thinks mid-table or top half is an asheevement.

We know its not talent, that is the ruddy frustrating part of it. 

The mental side deficiency makes absolute sense to me, the old quote of the game being played between the ears as much as on the pitch

I have no issue with the problem being just acknowledged but then kept as an internal matter. We have that thirst for knowledge but for me this is a case of not elaborating in the media as that could be self defeating in curing it. 

However what Carlos has to do is identify those players and if need be take them out of the firing line even for a short period. To me those play off defeats have had a long lasting impact - players and fans alike

If its a mental problem, why the ruddy hell don't they get one of them life coaches/Psychiatrists in or something of that ilk for the players ? Loads of professional sportsman/athletes use these, must have some positive results for them so why not ? The talent is there in the squad, do everything you can to get them to use it !

He said the players were nervous before the Rangers in the pre-season friendly ffs, then get something done about it imo.

8 minutes ago, Mr Mercury said:

If its a mental problem, why the ruddy hell don't they get one of them life coaches/Psychiatrists in or something of that ilk for the players ? Loads of professional sportsman/athletes use these, must have some positive results for them so why not ? The talent is there in the squad, do everything you can to get them to use it !

He said the players were nervous before the Rangers in the pre-season friendly ffs, then get something done about it imo.

No doubt we'll soon hear the owd 'players' scared to play at Hillsborough in fear of making a mistake' line. Funnily enough they never include the away performances in that, or maybe it's the same because of the amount of fans we take away. Perhaps we ought to have another riot and get the fans banned for a few games.

Another can of worms opened. 

Let the speculation begin...

It wouldn’t exactly shock me to find out that some of our players are not mentally the toughest, but I’m not sure talking about it in a press conference is the wisest move. 

Not sure what to make of this, one or two players could argue the players fault, eight or nine players on a regular basis and more likely the managers fault.

Nothing heard today changes my mind about CC. After the anger, disappointment and frustration of recent weeks towards performances and results, feels like we are in the eye of the storm, a little calm before impending stiller waters as we float along in mid table  or shitstorm, depending on the next two results. 

Carlos has been responsible for the culture and mentality of this squad for the last 3 years, accepted quality is there but mentality an issue, therefore not sure how Carlos can be expected to recover this. Even more important for new leadership IMO.

33 minutes ago, Mr Mercury said:

We do have a sports psychologist but he only speaks Portuguese.