Carlos Carvalhal on SWFC form 'It's a mental thing but I don't want to discuss in the press'

3 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Of course it's a mental thing. You tell them what to do Carlos. It's your job.

Unbelievable.  How many more excuses can he come up with, rather than accept he's got the tactics wrong for 2 seasons ?

this, it's becoming pretty funny discovering what excuse he'll come out with this week, or how he'll contradict himself yet again

Carlos is starting to behave like he is under severe pressure. The 20 pound note now this ridiculous statement.

It makes me sad to see a likeable charismatic man behave this way.

I wanted him to leave at the end of last season with his dignity intact, and forever being remembered for the great times he gave us.

When DC finally pulls the trigger hope he can hold is head high and not leave with his tail between his legs.

2 hours ago, OwlofOliveGrove said:

Says he's never told a team to start defensively or slowly in his career.

So do we blame the players for starting awful or CC for not getting them fired up enough to attack?

I believe that he doesn't send out our players to play sluggishly and insipidly in the first half of games.

I'm also quite happy to believe, that he sends out the team to play positively.

What I cannot comprehend, is if the above is the case, why has he not criticised the players for doing so? He continually comes out and defends the performance of the players...but he cannot be happy with the performances, if the players are putting in displays not in keeping to his instructions.

Really feel it's time for no more Mr. Nice Guy with Carlos. The players can never accuse him of not backing them. It's time he now, publically criticises them, if the performances dictate it. The longer it goes on, the more complacent the players will become and the more deluded, we, the fans, think Carlos is becoming. It's a situation that suits nobody. 

Excuse after excuse. Fed up of this nonesense yet people seem to buy it. If he constantly comes out with excuses for players then they'll continue to under perform. Saying the players had two games close together gives them an excuse because they were tired. He's doing it again, protecting his players (fair enough) but coming up with the same old bobar. It's pathetic. If there's an issue, get to the bottom of it and sort it. 

I think meggo should come take them round Greno woods and have them fill each other in, it'll soon sort any "mental issues" it'll also create a bond and unity within the squad. Shake things up a little. Excuses are for weaklings. We're Sheffield f00kin Wednesday ffs let's get a f00kin grip!!

4 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

I believe that he doesn't send out our players to play sluggishly and insipidly in the first half of games.

I'm also quite happy to believe, that he sends out the team to play positively.

What I cannot comprehend, is if the above is the case, why has he not criticised the players for doing so? He continually comes out and defends the performance of the players...but he cannot be happy with the performances, if the players are putting in displays not in keeping to his instructions.

Really feel it's time for no more Mr. Nice Guy with Carlos. The players can never accuse him of not backing them. It's time he now, publically criticises them, if the performances dictate it. The longer it goes on, the more complacent the players will become and the more deluded, we, the fans, think Carlos is becoming. It's a situation that suits nobody. 

Can't see hanging individuals out dry would benefit anyone.

I would imagine what Carlos says in these prearranged interviews is well choreographed, what is said behind doors will be very different.

I think it is a mental thing

We don't have enough players with mental strength and character.

All the time on here people acknowledge we lack leaders on the pitch. It is poor set of players that doesn't show any leadership or bottle without Hutch or Loovens on the pitch

We don't lack experience, players like Jones, Wallace, Bannan , Fletcher Hooper should have the mental strength to stand up to the opposition and show leadership.

Where are they when they cross the white line and Carlos can't affect it any more 

A strange but telling confession to come out of a press conference ahead of what has been made to feel like a must win game. There are only 3 possible answers to this;

1.) Carlos knows what the problem is and has to sort it

2.) Carlos doesn't know what the problem is

3.) "The problem" is the players aren't responding to Carlos or his methods

Number 1 isn't happening and if either 2 or 3 are true then Carlos has to go.

Mental fragility was always going to be an issue this season. A fair number of these players are now three seasons into a project which has thus far failed its objectives (and save the "look how well we've done" b*llocks - this is a failure as we stand). We're carrying successive play-off defeats on our backs with the expectations of everybody at the club to not only go again, but go better. Not only that, but the way we've limped out of some of our biggest occasions will surely be playing on minds. I'm sick of hearing and reading players say "we know we needed to do better" as much as I have no doubt they're sick of saying it.

Conceding after 3 minutes and then again 1 minute after restoring parity in the derby are set in stone examples of this issue. We've got very good players here whose heads have gone and who are shot to pieces shells of themselves. 

We needed change in May. We needed fresh ideas. A fresh look at this squad, at individuals and at the project at large. It was clear then and it's absolutely crystal now. 

If there is a mentality thing with certain player's why is he picking the same favourites. Bet George Hirst hasn't got a mentality problem. 

And why have the club not got a psych in to cure this. We know Jordan Rhodes has a confidence problem with the play off penalty debacle. If he still has it then it's a poor show from the club.

I call BS Carlos. 

50 minutes ago, NYowl said:

Can't see hanging individuals out dry would benefit anyone.

I would imagine what Carlos says in these prearranged interviews is well choreographed, what is said behind doors will be very different.

Who mentioned hanging anyone out to dry?

There have been displays this season, that have been below par. But Carlos has come out and said how pleased he was with it.

It creates two scenarios: the players standards are subconsciously lowered, because an abject performance is labelled as a "good display," they become complacent; and the fans become disillusioned with a deluded coach who seemingly can't differentiate between a good and bad display.

I'm not saying, slate certain individuals performance (let's be honest, Carlos isn't averse to hanging certain individuals out to dry...Forestieri's "refusal" to play out wide, Forestieri's internal suspension for a training ground incident, and Rhodes' penalty debacle in the playoffs), I'm referring to the collective. Say the Birmingham performance wasn't the way we shoud've reacted to the embarassment we produced days earlier, admit the whipping boys of the division who can't score a goal for love nor money deserved their victory against us...and the same could be said for aspects of the QPR, Sunderland, Burton and Brentford games.  

Collective and instantaneous bouts of Asbergers / Anxiety in and around the attacking third?

or,

Loss of confidence in what they are being asked to do...

or more likely,

Whispering Tactical Periodisation is enough to send anyone off in a straight jacket...

3 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Saying players have got a 'mental thing' that prevents us from playing well is a reason not an excuse to me.

Yes I agree players are only human and no human is immune from stress but they are paid big, big money to deal with that stress and perform.

Great managers like Brian Clough and Ron Atkinson would find ways to relax players before games and get them into the right frame of mind something CC is failing to do.

Ah yes I remember that.

Don't think having a swig of brandy would be the done thing anymore.

Just imagine Hutchinson being breathalysed by the ref before deciding if his crunching tackle warranted a red or yellow card

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Carlos Carvalhal insists there is an issue with the mental side of the squad.

He repeatedly answered questions in todays press conference by saying there wasn't an issue of quality in the squad but it's a mental thing.

He went on to say it was a private thing happening and he didn't want to discuss this in the press but there are things going on mentally with the players

This is a terrible statement to make and actually raises more questions. The best possible spin anyone can put on this is his command of English has let him down and he has used the word mental incorrectly.

think most individuals will see it as individuals lacking confidence or belief in themselves or not having faith in ability or roles they are asked to perform. It does suggest the teamspirit is not as good as it should be. I have not seen mention of how "trainings" are going previously noticed when he has said they have gone really well performance following has been better.