Carlos Carvalhal on SWFC form 'It's a mental thing but I don't want to discuss in the press'

cc3_3483798b.jpg

Carlos Carvalhal insists there is an issue with the mental side of the squad.

He repeatedly answered questions in todays press conference by saying there wasn't an issue of quality in the squad but it's a mental thing.

He went on to say it was a private thing happening and he didn't want to discuss this in the press but there are things going on mentally with the players

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

cc3_3483798b.jpg

Carlos Carvalhal insists there is an issue with the mental side of the squad.

He repeatedly answered questions in todays press conference by saying there wasn't an issue of quality in the squad but it's a mental thing.

He went on to say it was a private thing happening and he didn't want to discuss this in the press but there are things going on mentally with the players

I see the problem - there are more red markers than blue on the mini-pitch. We're playing teams with a man extra - ppff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, OwlofOliveGrove said:

Says he's never told a team to start defensively or slowly in his career.

So do we blame the players for starting awful or CC for not getting them fired up enough to attack?

2 ways of looking at this, neither of which are great news. He's either fibbing or the players aren't listening. 

15 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

If this is the case why mention it at a press conference

Guest BULGARIA
30 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

He made them watch the ending of lost and defended it.

4 years after watching that i still cant work out what happened!!

Saying players have got a 'mental thing' that prevents us from playing well is a reason not an excuse to me.

Yes I agree players are only human and no human is immune from stress but they are paid big, big money to deal with that stress and perform.

Great managers like Brian Clough and Ron Atkinson would find ways to relax players before games and get them into the right frame of mind something CC is failing to do.

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

He didn't' bring it up - he was simply answering a question honestly

Not saying he brought it up - just that if he said it was private, why mention it, unless the question was specifically about players mentality ?

Haven't watched it yet so my comment only related to what was written in the post

Not an excuse at all. If anything it brings more criticism from me. 

Hes the manager/head coach. It's his job to get the mental side correct. To motivate the players, to have squad spirit and harmony. If there are problems with either the teams mentality or the mentality of individuals it's on Carlos to address this and give the help needed. 

Another reason why he has to go and we bring someone else in. 

• Thanks 1