Hutchinson vs Jones

Has Jones done enough to be dropped?

In our last 13 matches when Jones started...

Won 8. Drew 4. Lost 1

At first sight dropping him would appear bizarre and harsh. In which case, to make sense he would have to be dropped for a "must-play" player who's record is undeniable.

Our recent matches with Hutch starting and playing more than half a game...

Preston A lost

Udders H drew (lost if you want to be pedantic)

Leeds H lost

Brentford H lost

Three losses and a sort of draw in our last four matches.

Where is the compelling case to drop Jones for Hutch? Are we suggesting that if Hutch had been fit for those 13 matches, we would have done better than a 28 point title-winning form? And are we saying that if Jones had played those 4 games we would have done worse than a miserly draw and three defeats?

Its Hutch every time.

Jones has improved but hes not the man to drive the team on nor is he teh man to dig in when we need it. In a physically lightweight midfield we need Hutch's more combative style. I though he had really tamed this last year and played a lot more games and got less cards. Cant wait for him to return, as he lets our playmakers, play more!!

32 minutes ago, SS Owl said:

Its Hutch every time.

Jones has improved but hes not the man to drive the team on nor is he teh man to dig in when we need it. In a physically lightweight midfield we need Hutch's more combative style. I though he had really tamed this last year and played a lot more games and got less cards. Cant wait for him to return, as he lets our playmakers, play more!!

Though results say otherwise.

People often judge others on here for their knowledge of football, so I have derived a fool-proof plan to see whether people actually understand how football works, and here it is; if you think that Hutch is better for the team than Jones, then you really are football stupid

Hutchinson might be a better player ( overrated on here but decent nontheless ) but we're a worse side with him in it imo.

We did nothing but win for 2 months at the end of last season until he ( and FF ) came back in, then suddenly we went to sh#t again,  obviously you can't solely blame that on 2 individuals, but whether they're the best player or not is irrelevant if somebody else does a better job for the team, and at the moment, it looks like Jones does.

Both ideally need replacing next year though, for different reasons.

Edited by Lee A

Definitely the best post here :biggrin:

18 hours ago, shandypants said:

If it’s a straight choice then it’s Jones’s place to lose at the moment. There’s pros and cons to each: Jones is more measured and less likely to detriment his game by being “carded” but he isn’t necessarily going to chance the game for the better; Hutch is very dynamic and can really positively affect the game but he can be rash at times which results in yellow and, at times, red cards which render him somewhat ineffective. 

However, there’s no reason why we can’t play them together though. Jones could sit, Hutch could “Beast”, Bannan and Lee can do as they like

I have always liked Hutch, he epitomises real football. However, I don't think he fits into our style of play now. He is always playing far too deep and you never know if he'll finish 90 mins.

I slated Jones last season, but I have really been impressed watching him this season (apart from the Blades game). I think he fits into our style far better at the moment. 

It is all a bit like my golf game. If I knew beforehand whether I was going to hit the ball properly  I would take a different club .

If the team is going to play well then Jones is fine as his ability to keep possession suits our passing style.

However if the team decides to under perform or the opposition push us back like first half against pigs or first 20 mins against Leeds or even the Rangers friendly then Jones does not contribute enough. Despite his footballing ability he cannot carry the team on his own like Hutch can

At the moment Jones deserves his place and looking  forward it will be interesting to see Jones play in the Barnsley game. Assuming they play a similar style to last season, despite the change in personnel, they are all about midfield runners. 

Guest Copthorneowl
5 hours ago, DuncOwl said:

People often judge others on here for their knowledge of football, so I have derived a fool-proof plan to see whether people actually understand how football works, and here it is; if you think that Hutch is better for the team than Jones, then you really are football stupid

Would you you like to enlarge and explain why you say that with some detail for those of us too stupid to understand how football works. Thanks in anticipation  for the education.

3 hours ago, Lombado said:

For me Hutch gets the nod if fit.

He just appears to do that little extra, even if it gets him in trouble some times. i think his enthusiasm can be quite infections as well.

He's a warrior and a leader. We're not over endowed with these so when fit he'd be one of the first names on the team sheet for me.

10 hours ago, DuttyTeabags said:

who came in for Jones after a 7 match winning streak to lose to Fulham and draw to Hudds away and at home, miss a penalty and ensure we failed to make it to Wembley.

Delusional

lol that's why we didn't get to Wembley then. What about the year before when jones wasn't even at the club!!!!!!!!!!!! Blaming a player for the reason we never got to Wembley proves you are a moron.

I've said it before, Wednesday fans love Hutchinson because he runs around like a headless chicken, which either results in a red card or him getting injured. Don't get me wrong Hutchinson is a quality player and if it wasn't for his injury issues wouldn't be playing for us, but Jones gets a lot of flack because he isn't a headless chicken despite being the far more reliable out of the pair. His record speaks for itself, calm head in the middle, keeps his position well, and rarely gives the ball away, been there and done it more than enough as well. 

Quite like jones don't think he's as bad as people make out, but a fit hutch has to play IMO. He gives us a bit of nastiness I think we lack,because we're far too nice in some games.He does go to far sometimes but that's for the manager to sort out and he does sit too deep ,again one for the manager to sort out.

Since Jones got back into the team in March.

Burton         (At the time 21st, Finished  20th)               D  1-1  (Jones started, played full game)

Villa             (At the time 15th, Finished  13th)               L   2-0  (Jones started, played full game) 

Reading      (At the time   5th,   Finished  3rd)               L   0-2  (Jones started was subbed after 1 hour when 1-0 down)

Barnsley      (At the time 11th, Finished  14th)              D   1-1  (Jones came on for Hutch on 35 mins, 0-0 at the time)

Rotherham  (At the time 24th, Finished  24th)              W 0-2   (Jones started, played full game)

Newcastle   (At the time  1st, Finished    1st)               W 2-0 (Jones started, played full game)

Cardiff         (At the time 14th, Finished  12th)               W 1-0 (Jones started, subbed on 62 mins when drawing 0-0)

QPR            (At the time 17th, Finished  18th)               W 1-2 (Jones started, played full game)

Derby          (At the time 9th, Finished    9th)               W 2-1 (Jones did not play)

Ipswich        (At the time 16th, Finished 16th)                W 0-1 (Jones did not play)

Fulham        (At the time   6th, Finished Top of Premier League by all acounts)        L 1-2 (Jones played full game)

Huddersfield A Playoffs D 0-0 ( Jones came on at 63 mins)

Huddersfield H Playoffs D 1-1 (Jones did not play)

So ending last season Jones stats are for when he was on the pitch.

P 10 W 3 D 4 L 3  13 points

This season same format

Preston        (n/a)                                                              L 0-1  ( Jones came on at 70 mins at 0-0)

QPR            ( At the time 2nd, Current 16th)                    D 1-1  (Jones came on at 13 mins, 0-0 at the time)

Sunderland (At the time  6th, Current 23rd)                     D 1-1  (Jones played full game, scored)

Fulham       (At the time 16th, Current  10th)                    W 0-1 (Jones played full game)

Burton         (At the time 21st, Currentish  20th)               D 1-1  (Jones played full game)

Forest          (At the time 6th, Current 13th)                      W 3-1 (Jones played full game)

Brentford     (At the time 23rd, Currentish 21st)                W 2-1 (Jones played full game)

Cardiff         (At the time 2nd, Current 1st)                        D 1-1 (Jones played full game)

PIGS           (At the time 6th, Currentish 4th)                    L 2-4 (Jones played full game)

Birmingham (At the time 23rd, Currentish 19th)               L 0-1 (Jones did not play)

Leeds          ( At the time 3rd, Current 5th)                       W 3-0 (Jones played full game)

This season Jones stats are for when he was on the pitch.

P 10 W 4 D 4 L 2  16 points

No cherry picking just the stats for when he broke into the team, with a bit of context of who we were playing, also possible errors. 

We could go on his last 6 games which reads as,

W 3 D 2 L 1.

I firm believer in keeping a winning team so he keeps the shirt atm the moment but anyone who denies he has faults in the physical game does not go to the matches.

If the opposition try and pass he will mark the space superbly blocking most avenues.

If we try and keep the ball he will play well and always offer an option.

If the opposition run at him or get physical and try and win the second ball, he can struggle.

Tomorrow should be a perfect opportunity for him to silence the doubters about the physical part of his game as we are playing Bolton who play as though they are stuck in a time warp.

4 hours ago, Barr Grylls said:

lol that's why we didn't get to Wembley then. What about the year before when jones wasn't even at the club!!!!!!!!!!!! Blaming a player for the reason we never got to Wembley proves you are a moron.

Same year before. Start Hutch at Wembley instead of Lopez and we play defensively and too deep. 

I like Hutch but unless we are playing 3 at back don't think it works 

Jones has been alright and wouldn’t be fare to just chuck hutch back in. If jones’s form drops over a couple of games try hutch. Plus I know I’m not the only but I think it’s time to stop depending on a player like Hutchinson with him being injured a lot. Hopefully in the summer we can sign a better defensive centre midfielder, but I like jones. 

Edited by Animal