Hutchinson vs Jones

2 hours ago, Tapeworm said:

Hutch is not an obvious choice though I'm afraid. He plays as a 3rd centre back and is always likely to pull up injured or be sent off.

Jones doesn't win enough ball for me but I'd have him in there over Hutch. 

Surely with the new diamond in midfield and the wing backs pushing on hutch is ideal to sit between the midfield and the defence.

Also with Bannan playing on the left and not in the centre there is also less chance he will be tempted to join he there as he normally always does when in the centre

Personally think Hutchinson is ideal for the new attacking formation we have. 

Edited by pazowl55

Guest Copthorneowl

I think Hutch us better all round football player full stop including distribution, tackling and movement however I don't think for one minute he'll start a game following his long lay off, he'll surely be eased back in by Carlos as is the norm with injured players we're just lucky to have two players that can show and do what these two can.

Jones for me. He's not the crowd pleaser that Hutch is but we look a better side when Jones is playing (even when his own individual performance seems unremarkable). I think we get the best out of Lee and Bannan when Jones plays. His stats for keeping control of the ball and not losing possession are excellent; I don't think Hutch can work that 'cog in a wheel' role as effectively.

If we're up against it and getting battered by a more physical side then Hutch might be a better bet but I've always said I prefer Hutch as a centre back where he seems to play with more control. I'd take Hutch as CB over Van Aken any day. Hutch and Lees made a great partnership for a while last season.

2 hours ago, Tapeworm said:

Hutch is not an obvious choice though I'm afraid. He plays as a 3rd centre back and is always likely to pull up injured or be sent off.

Jones doesn't win enough ball for me but I'd have him in there over Hutch. 

Played  34 games last season with 2 reds. Pretty good I'd say given his all action, committed style.

Go back and watch the Leeds game again (just for fun if you like!). Jones did a proper job on Saiz and he'd practically given up playing by about 60 minutes.

Jones does the same dirty work as Hutchinson, but without standing out like a sore thumb to the referee. That's not to say I don't like Hutchinson, but certainly Jones is worthy of his position at the moment.

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Jones.

He is a proper midfielder, with a hugely successful record getting out of this division. Trusted by Dyche week in week out, and it worked.

His record with us since getting his place back is fabulous. One defeat in 13.....that alone does it for me.

Hutch is awesome. A highly visible and popular player due to his effort and guts. But he is a defender, and plays too deep when asked to play midfield.

Our recent record with Hutch is poor. I think 3 defeats and two draws from memory.

Definitely Jones. 

Interesting use of statistics......you cap Hutchinsons at his last 5 games for us and then use more that 4 years worth of games to quote Jones "hugely successful record getting out of this division"

If you stick with just this season as you have for Hutchinson then Jones is no more successful at getting out of this division than me

Hutchinson or Jones......jesus H......what next Hooper or Nuhiu?

2 minutes ago, Dan™ said:

Go back and watch the Leeds game again (just for fun if you like!). Jones did a proper job on Saiz and he'd practically given up playing by about 60 minutes.

Jones does the same dirty work as Hutchinson, but without standing out like a sore thumb to the referee. That's not to say I don't like Hutchinson, but certainly Jones is worthy of his position at the moment.

He got away with it because the referee decided to keep his cards in his pocket until the 92nd minute 

Jones should have been booked after 15 mins and would then have been walking a tightrope 

He has some attributes but defending against people running at him at pace is definitely not one of them. 

And Leeds had 2 good chances to score in the first 15 mins created by Saiz running past Jones with ease

14 minutes ago, Ronio said:

I like them both,

It's not a question of either or for me.  

O Ronio, Ronio! wherfore art thou so reasonable, Ronio?

You've been on Owlstalk long enough to know that's not how it works: you absolutely must pick a side. There can be no shades of grey here.

Once you've nailed your colours to either mast, you then express your opinion in the strongest possible terms, including flinging increasingly outrageous insults at anyone who dares to question you; then - and this really is crucial to the whole undertaking - you defend that initial opinion to the death, never overlooking an opportunity to herald your player as the better of the two, nor to denigrate the other player and question how he manages to hold down a career as a professional footballer.

I expected better of you.

:duntmatter:

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Dan™ said:

Spot on fella.

10 hours ago, Ian said:

Interesting use of statistics......you cap Hutchinsons at his last 5 games for us and then use more that 4 years worth of games to quote Jones "hugely successful record getting out of this division"

If you stick with just this season as you have for Hutchinson then Jones is no more successful at getting out of this division than me

Hutchinson or Jones......jesus H......what next Hooper or Nuhiu?

Why is Hutchinson so much better ? 

If it’s a straight choice then it’s Jones’s place to lose at the moment. There’s pros and cons to each: Jones is more measured and less likely to detriment his game by being “carded” but he isn’t necessarily going to chance the game for the better; Hutch is very dynamic and can really positively affect the game but he can be rash at times which results in yellow and, at times, red cards which render him somewhat ineffective. 

However, there’s no reason why we can’t play them together though. Jones could sit, Hutch could “Beast”, Bannan and Lee could do what they like