Tomorrow

Guest Deleted member

10 hours ago, scram said:

Happy Birthday Wednesday

And tomorrow my daughter is 19 - and coincidentally so is Meadowhall!

Happy Birthday Wednesday

And tomorrow  My son Mike is 40 named after Mick Prendergast, who scored in a 3-1 League Cup win v Blackpool an hour before his birth. So fond Memories of MP and Happy Birthday Mike !  

Ok my story is a little different as my grandad was a diehard Blade and I broke his heart. Don't know what drew me to Wednesday probably schoolmates talking a bout them can't really remember but as an eight year ago led lad I decided I was going to se them and foolishly set off on my own from home to go to Hillsborough. It wasn't even a match day but I wasn't to know. Needless to say I got totally lost and to cut a long story short I was taken home by a local Bobby, to much fuss from Mom and a clip round the ear from Dad.  Not sure how or why but a few days later a reporter from The Star came to the house took some pictures and next day there I was plastered in the paper with the story of the boy who got lost trying to find Hillsbourough.  Apparently Eric Taylor read the story got in touch with The Star and invited me and my Dad to the next match as guests of honour. What a night, I got to visit the players in the dressing room before the game and get autographs, sat next to Mr Taylor in the Directors box and generally made a fuss What a magical night that changed my life forever. I'm lucky that The Star reporter was there too and took more pictures that were in the next day's edition which is among my treasured possessions.

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Deleted member
1 hour ago, Mickjj said:

Ok my story is a little different as my grandad was a diehard Blade and I broke his heart. Don't know what drew me to Wednesday probably schoolmates talking a bout them can't really remember but as an eight year ago led lad I decided I was going to se them and foolishly set off on my own from home to go to Hillsborough. It wasn't even a match day but I wasn't to know. Needless to say I got totally lost and to cut a long story short I was taken home by a local Bobby, to much fuss from Mom and a clip round the ear from Dad.  Not sure how or why but a few days later a reporter from The Star came to the house took some pictures and next day there I was plastered in the paper with the story of the boy who got lost trying to find Hillsbourough.  Apparently Eric Taylor read the story got in touch with The Star and invited me and my Dad to the next match as guests of honour. What a night, I got to visit the players in the dressing room before the game and get autographs, sat next to Mr Taylor in the Directors box and generally made a fuss What a magical night that changed my life forever. I'm lucky that The Star reporter was there too and took more pictures that were in the next day's edition which is among my treasured possessions.

image.jpeg

What an absolutely brilliant story. Thanks for sharing

1 hour ago, pgmetcalf said:

It's like owlstalk is a popularity contest where people say what they think others want to hear rather than what they personally believe

No it's not. What gives you the right to decide what people really believe?

If you don't feel things in your heart rather than your head I struggle to understand why one would be a football supporter and specifically a Wednesday supporter. Supporting a team is an emotional attachment, it's about the good times and the bad. It's the bad times that enable us to appreciate the good times even more. 

A 150 year anniversary is an opportunity to look back on our history, our memories and friend no longer with us. It's also an opportunity to look forward with renewed optimism and hope.

Lets leave the arguments for another day.

9 hours ago, torryowl said:

we know its big jack ,and nigels granddad anyone name the other bloke in the photo?.......I have an inkling 

image.png.d2061b5f03274091e287593db6efdb20 save .....png

Think I may have got this thought at first it was a red herring and jack was the away manager on this photo but the tie is a Wednesday one (just checked I still have it)

I'm pretty sure that's a " Baby Beardsley"

Almost obscured by Jack and the Guy in Red is also a young looking Arthur Cox?

But everyone was young then !!!

Is that who you thought it was Torryowl?

3 hours ago, bigthinrob said:

Not biting but still negging everything that doesn't quite suit as usual!!

2 hours ago, pgmetcalf said:

It's like owlstalk is a popularity contest where people say what they think others want to hear rather than what they personally believe

Get over yourselves for goodness sake.

People disagree with each other. Doesn't make them any less of a supporter just because you have differences with them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mickjj said:

image.jpeg

Same as me Mick... Dad and Uncles all blades... plus we lived at the bottom of Eccy Rd surrounded by blades. However, on my first day at school my mate Steve Steer asked me to play football at lunchtime. Whose side should I be on I asked, well it's Wednesday v united and I'm Wednesday...job sorted. First season my dad took us to the lane and his dad took us to Hillsborough. Since then there's never been a blade in the family and I go with three generations to matches, my nephew and great nephews. If we just wanted to watch a winning team we'd watch someone else but supporting The Wednesday is like being in the Mafia...once you're in you're in lol 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mickjj said:

image.jpeg

WOW!!! what a brilliant story/ beginning of a life long love affair,absolutely love it !

28 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Think I may have got this thought at first it was a red herring and jack was the away manager on this photo but the tie is a Wednesday one (just checked I still have it)

I'm pretty sure that's a " Baby Beardsley"

Almost obscured by Jack and the Guy in Red is also a young looking Arthur Cox?

But everyone was young then !!!

Is that who you thought it was Torryowl?

I think you are correct. Arthur Cox, the man who terrorised a young Chris Waddle but also the man Waddle credits with helping to develop him into the player he became. 

Cox%20A%201.jpg

Edited by Almat
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

My favourite Wednesday performance of all time.

For the half hour after Wegerle scored for them we were absolutely unstoppable. Doubt if even the Brazil team of 1970 could have put in a better performance than that!

Thanks for the OP Grandad, the emotion in that post some up what we all feel about Wednesday.

Got to be one of the all time great performances. I was there and I couldn't believe what I was watching. Both Hirst and Bright missing through injury too. Wow!

2 hours ago, pgmetcalf said:

Yes, cus in nearly every other thread there's not people constantly arguing about Carlos in/out or being labelled a clapper or a moaner.

Bet you think Grandad, Mickjj and others have just made up their stories to be popular.

There's more than enough negativity and arguing going on elsewhere to prove this isn't true.

This is a great thread with many happy memories, shame a few people don't seem to like that or see it for what it is.

If we can't show and celebrate our love for our beloved special club on their 150th Birthday when can we? UTO!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OWL1969 said:

Yes, cus in nearly every other thread there's not people constantly arguing about Carlos in/out or being labelled a clapper or a moaner.

Bet you think Grandad, Mickjj and others have just made up their stories to be popular.

There's more than enough negativity and arguing going on elsewhere to prove this isn't true.

This is a great thread with many happy memories, shame a few people don't seem to like that or see it for what it is.

If we can't show and celebrate our love for our beloved special club on their 150th Birthday when can we? UTO!

Brilliant post.

7 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

Well said mate we all have our moans and spats on here but at the end of the day WAWAW.

When I was around 7 or 8 my Uncle Mac would take me to watch, sitting in the front, uncovered South Stand, come rain or shine. Into the Greyhound in Ecclesfield first, 4 or 5 pints for him and crisps and a bottles of lemon and lime for me. Then catch the bus through `Parsons Cross, get off before the ground to walk in to get the full match day experience. 

Winters were best with the floodlights. I loved my Uncle Mac, big bloke, flat cap, carpenter with gret big hands and didn't suffer fools gladly, and i still love Wednesday even when we were run by fools who thought they were big blokes but were indeed fools. ...

Even when we were and are rubbish, I still felt/feel like a 6 year old when walking out to see the pitch and stadium, MASSIVE grin, heart beating that little bit faster and the stupidity of being ever the optimist.

UTO. Many Happy Returns of the day SWFC - to the next 150 years. I'll raise a glass or two tonight. x

2 hours ago, Mickjj said:

image.jpeg

That is chuffin brilliant