Tomorrow

Guest Deleted member

Guest Deleted member
11 minutes ago, Eastleigh Owl said:

Well, this is like waiting for the millennium when we thought the planes were going to drop out of the sky. Wonder what Mr C has planned for tomorrow at the party, surely there'll be a surprise. Ooooohhhh I can't wait. 

Could get Messi ;-)

14 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

I'm confused!!!!

But very very happy that everything's all ok again and suddenly everyone loves our club again that yesterday, from DC to CC to the cleaners was a complete bag of bollo*ks.

If this offends anyone, I offer the "Sorry I was wee wee*d defence", very recently put forward as mitigation by one of our more eminent contributors following a rather different perspective on the club.

However, I suppose any cheerleader is better than no cheerleader in light of the recent tone on here, so let's hope it can continue.

Happy Birthday to us.

Let's kick on now.

I think this is a thread where Wednesdayites share some of their own unique and disparate memories of the club and what may have brought them to the club - often forebears fondly remembered and many paid tribute to in thsi thread

No need for any hostility or point scoring here - there are a million threads to do that

maybe lets have a truce in just this thread and keep it in the spirit it was intended?

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Grandad said:

My Nan used to love telling the story of my Grandad arriving back from the FA Cup Final in 1935, on a wheelbarrow from Waleswood train station - pushed all the way back to Swallownest having had far too may Guinness - singing Wednesday songs at the top of his voice

"I could hear him from the top of the road, the neighbours were talking about it for months. The shame he brought on us" - she'd say that while winking at me knowing that Grandad would bite and proclaim his innocence

Brilliant, sounds like something out of an old Arthur Askey film. 

He must have been a real character. 

• Haha 1

Great post Nigel .Knowing you through kids football with Danny & Jordan playing in same junior team we have had some good chats over the years.Trying to sell to your kids what it means to follow this great club of ours has never been hard as they have always worn the kits with as much pride as we did at their age.But to be there on magical moments like the play off final with 45k other die hard owls is something that we all as parents will cherish for ever.Kist remember you don't choose Wednesday,Wednesday chooses you.WAWAW

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Could get Messi ;-)

I did go and watch him about 3/4 years ago, sat in them big plush leather seats at the side of the dug out, prefer hooper TBH.:manager:

Little man was superb.Came on as sub and scored 2, Barca 4 Betis 2 with Alexis and Villa scoring the other 2.

Tito Vilanova was the manager, remember him? So very sad, RIP Tito.

Watch the clip, i'm the one sat right behind the dug out, champers and a big fat Montecristo No.2.:manager:

Prefer Hillsborough anyway.:manager:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Happy Birthday wednesday ,and thanks to owlstalk and all my friends on here without you and this site i wouldn't be part of any cellebrations or whatever ,those who know my story will know where i am coming from , so bless the fans the club and most  of all you lot on here old and new ,

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Grandad said:

Tomorrow my (our) football club Sheffield Wednesday become 150 years old. They're the love of my life, other than my family. The one constant for me, through growing up, attending away games on my own as a teenager, through marriage, the birth of my children, divorce, relationship ups and downs, numerous jobs, house moves, lots of turmoil, the loss of loved ones...

Theres been ups, and downs. Lots of downs. I was introduced by my parents, but mostly by my Grandad. He was the commissionaire at Hillsborough for over 40 years - heres a pic of him at the side of Big Jack.
image.png.d2061b5f03274091e287593db6efdb20.png

And my Nan too, she went home and away watching Wednesday with her friend Nellie Moore on the Swallownest Supporters Club buses.. I was sat with Grandad at a match at Hillsborough when he received the news that my Nan had had a heart attack at home - and he rushed home to spend his last few hours with her.

Grandad put Wednesday first all the time. He'd miss a family wedding if Wednesday had a reserve game. When he hit 80, and the pneumoconiosis he'd contracted from a life on the coal face meant his breathing was so bad he couldnt get up the stairs to see Wednesday, a little part of him had already left us when he passed away later that year. He lived and breathed Wednesday, and he instilled that into me.

Like any relationship its not always been easy. The love has been tested, many times, but it just seems to grow stronger. The highs of seeing us promoted back to Division One under Howard Wilkinson, beating Liverpool at Anfield the following season after we'd chanted 'We'll Be Back' as they beat us in the Cup during the promotion season, the semi final at Highbury v Brighton (and spending most of the game behind a huge Zico Sterland banner), beating Utd at Wembley in the Steel City Semi Final, the John Sheridan goal in the League Cup Final, the elation of beating Brighton in the Play Off Semi Final and holding my son incredibly tight with tears rolling down my cheeks knowing that he would finally get to Wembley for the first time, as he had done just as I'd done and waited until he could do it watching his own team for his first trip...

I won't list the lows - because tonight they don't matter. Tonight I'm going to enjoy a quiet drink, and toast the club to whom I've devoted my life. And to my Grandad, and my Nan.

And tomorrow night I will celebrate with friends at the celebratory dinner. And Guest of Honour on our table will be my Mum, who at 80 years old has been attending Hillsborough since before she could walk, as just like me she was carried to the games as a baby. And shes still there, week in, week out now, along with my sister Louise. And how I wish Dad could have been there with her.

Happy 150th Sheffield Wednesday. A true family club

That's more like it, brought a tear to my eye and a shiver down my spine.

You don't get hits sort of affinity if you take the easy route and become a glory hunter. 

For all the flaws along the years, be it owners, players and even us fans at time our club and our experiences are unique to us. The bad times we have all endured make the good times all that much sweeter and I wouldn't want a single penny back for all the memories the Wednesday have given me. Here's to another 150 years of our fine club for our future generations to have memories of.

Beautiful post grandad, happy birthday sheffield wednesday fc its been an honour supporting you for the last 44 years its not been easy its had its low's but its also had its high's, it not only time to celebrate the 150 year aniversary but to take a min to think about the ones we have loved and lost the one who steered me towards this wonderful club.... my grandad sid.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

That's more like it, brought a tear to my eye and a shiver down my spine.

You don't get hits sort of affinity if you take the easy route and become a glory hunter. 

For all the flaws along the years, be it owners, players and even us fans at time our club and our experiences are unique to us. The bad times we have all endured make the good times all that much sweeter and I wouldn't want a single penny back for all the memories the Wednesday have given me. Here's to another 150 years of our fine club for our future generations to have memories of.

Countless great memories through the years. I'm trying to recall when I first realised this was a really special football club and I think the FA Cup saga with Arsenal when we vastly outnumbered them at Filbert Street was the first time I realised the potential and the fanaticism and of course the ultimate disappointment! 

Great OP Nige.

You and I are the same generation of Wednesdayites that were born / dragged into the Wednesday way in the early 70's.

As you say, despite everything that life throws at you both good and not so good, the common denominator is this football club.

Apart from my family (and sometimes not!), it is and always will be my priority.

Happy Birthday

21 again!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grandad said:

Tomorrow my (our) football club Sheffield Wednesday become 150 years old. They're the love of my life, other than my family. The one constant for me, through growing up, attending away games on my own as a teenager, through marriage, the birth of my children, divorce, relationship ups and downs, numerous jobs, house moves, lots of turmoil, the loss of loved ones...

Theres been ups, and downs. Lots of downs. I was introduced by my parents, but mostly by my Grandad. He was the commissionaire at Hillsborough for over 40 years - heres a pic of him at the side of Big Jack.
image.png.d2061b5f03274091e287593db6efdb20.png

And my Nan too, she went home and away watching Wednesday with her friend Nellie Moore on the Swallownest Supporters Club buses.. I was sat with Grandad at a match at Hillsborough when he received the news that my Nan had had a heart attack at home - and he rushed home to spend his last few hours with her.

Grandad put Wednesday first all the time. He'd miss a family wedding if Wednesday had a reserve game. When he hit 80, and the pneumoconiosis he'd contracted from a life on the coal face meant his breathing was so bad he couldnt get up the stairs to see Wednesday, a little part of him had already left us when he passed away later that year. He lived and breathed Wednesday, and he instilled that into me.

Like any relationship its not always been easy. The love has been tested, many times, but it just seems to grow stronger. The highs of seeing us promoted back to Division One under Howard Wilkinson, beating Liverpool at Anfield the following season after we'd chanted 'We'll Be Back' as they beat us in the Cup during the promotion season, the semi final at Highbury v Brighton (and spending most of the game behind a huge Zico Sterland banner), beating Utd at Wembley in the Steel City Semi Final, the John Sheridan goal in the League Cup Final, the elation of beating Brighton in the Play Off Semi Final and holding my son incredibly tight with tears rolling down my cheeks knowing that he would finally get to Wembley for the first time, as he had done just as I'd done and waited until he could do it watching his own team for his first trip...

I won't list the lows - because tonight they don't matter. Tonight I'm going to enjoy a quiet drink, and toast the club to whom I've devoted my life. And to my Grandad, and my Nan.

And tomorrow night I will celebrate with friends at the celebratory dinner. And Guest of Honour on our table will be my Mum, who at 80 years old has been attending Hillsborough since before she could walk, as just like me she was carried to the games as a baby. And shes still there, week in, week out now, along with my sister Louise. And how I wish Dad could have been there with her.

Happy 150th Sheffield Wednesday. A true family club

Hope your Grandad signed a copy of that picture and presented it to Big Jack.

Funny the things you forget, recognised your Grandad instantly but had forgotten such people exist. 

Like the long serving tealady, the bloke who used to run ICO and more or less founded Young Owls, and many, many others  these are all the unsung  forgotten heroes/legends that helped make our great club what it is today.

As indeed to a lesser extent are we the fans and all those before us (now no longer with us) and hopefully the many more to follow.

Here's to the next 150 years and many more unsung heroes. UTO! 

Edited by OWL1969
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, scram said:

I think the highest of highs for me was us being genuinely one of the very best and most entertaining footballing sides i've ever had the pleasure to watch - generally under Big Ron

In typical Wednesday fashion we didn't always win no matter how much we outplayed our opponents - we flew by the seat of our pants at times too - but bloody hell it was magnificent

I remember wearing my Owls shirt in a pub in a relatively small town/village near Watford after the Blackburn away semi - and a random guy came up to me and shook my hand then said it was the best half of football he had ever seen from any team ever!

But this is Wednesday and those moments aren't the norm - and that's kinda what makes it so special

My favourite Wednesday performance of all time.

For the half hour after Wegerle scored for them we were absolutely unstoppable. Doubt if even the Brazil team of 1970 could have put in a better performance than that!

Thanks for the OP Grandad, the emotion in that post some up what we all feel about Wednesday.

Edited by Utah Owl
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Grandad said:

My Nan used to love telling the story of my Grandad arriving back from the FA Cup Final in 1935, on a wheelbarrow from Waleswood train station - pushed all the way back to Swallownest having had far too may Guinness - singing Wednesday songs at the top of his voice

"I could hear him from the top of the road, the neighbours were talking about it for months. The shame he brought on us" - she'd say that while winking at me knowing that Grandad would bite and proclaim his innocence

What a great story. My grandad told me a crowd of Owls fans after the game went to a circus in London. In those days they invited a member of the audience to go in the lion cage with the lions so my grandad and his mates pushed the most drunk lad to the front. He had no idea what he was doing until one of the lions roared and he sobered up suddenly and totally sh.t himself in the middle if the ring.  I think I loved that story as much for the look on my mum's face every time he told it as the image of a man covered in sh.t in the middle of a lion cage. 

• Haha 1

So many memories of THE WEDNESDAY over the years but here's a personal one from me. My dad RIP took me to the Southend Utd game and as the teams came out he turned to me with a tear in his eye and said to me , I just can't imagine this ground in the fourth division son. I think that was the moment I actually found out what it means to be a Wednesdayite. UTO

• Like 2

Just to echo the sentiments of the OP

SWFC have been the backdrop, the one constant part as my life progressed through different situations and locations. I am sure I am not the only one who stands accused of "loving" Wednesday more than anything else. Well dear I have known them for 25 years longer so possibly, but in a different way. Hard to explain but like a family this club can make me laugh, cry, get angry, wallow in self pity, smile, jump for joy or think the crash barriers on the M1 look inviting. To someone who isn't a fan it is hard for them to fathom. So yep on occasions we get angry, annoyed, we discuss everything and anything most of it irrelevant, but the day I become indifferent is the day I give it up.

So from the first game in 1974 when a defeat would have seen us relegated, to the Southend game, Big Jack, promotion and invading the pitch, Sgt Wilko, the top division, despair, the disaster, Big Ron, the League Cup, Wembley finals, play off finals, the High Court steps and recent recovery a roller coaster of said emotions

1 hour ago, Andoverowl said:

So many memories of THE WEDNESDAY over the years but here's a personal one from me. My dad RIP took me to the Southend Utd game and as the teams came out he turned to me with a tear in his eye and said to me , I just can't imagine this ground in the fourth division son. I think that was the moment I actually found out what it means to be a Wednesdayite. UTO

Great post andover, my first game was against southend it was a night match and we won 2-1 funny thing was my dads mate was a blade he was going to take me on the saturday to the sty but had to work so my old man asked me if i would like to see a match at hillsborough, can't belive what a lucky escape i had if it wasn't for his mate having to work i would have been a grunter.

• Like 3