Tomorrow

Guest Deleted member

2 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Happy Birthday Wednesday

And tomorrow  My son Mike is 40 named after Mick Prendergast, who scored in a 3-1 League Cup win v Blackpool an hour before his birth. So fond Memories of MP and Happy Birthday Mike !  

it's my lads also tomorrow Nev ,  

3 hours ago, pgmetcalf said:

It's like owlstalk is a popularity contest where people say what they think others want to hear rather than what they personally believe

Anyway, happy birthday Wednesday, many happy returns!

There's always an uncle nobed that turns up at special occasions isn't there........

I'm not quite as eloquent as most of the posts in here but my first memory of knowing what Wednesday meant to me was listening to the 86 semi final on the radio because i was told I was to young to be taken and crying my eyes out at the final whistle, but my most treasured memory is of the 91 cup final 2nd row from the back of Wembley, I was 13 my brother was 9 with my dad sat between us, and as the final whistle went and we was hugging, my dad hugged us both and with tears rolling down his cheeks and with his blue and white hooped Wednesday bobble hat that had been to Highbury in 83 and villa park in 86 he just kept uttering the words we've done it lads we've finally bloody done it.

Like I said not as eloquent as others but even now I've got a lump in my throat thinking about it  

Guest Deleted member

I can't believe I missed out the emotion of watching Drew Talbot round the keeper and roll the ball into the net for the 4th at Cardiff, in front of 42000 rapturous Wednesdayites. 

I sank to my seat for the first time that game, and cried like a baby. Every bit as special as that Chris Waddle goal at Wembley, or John Sheridans DINK

9 hours ago, Flat Owl said:

Great OP Nige.

You and I are the same generation of Wednesdayites that were born / dragged into the Wednesday way in the early 70's.

As you say, despite everything that life throws at you both good and not so good, the common denominator is this football club.

Apart from my family (and sometimes not!), it is and always will be my priority.

Happy Birthday

21 again!

Chavs. !!:baby:

• Haha 2

My dad was a huge Wednesdayite went to matches home and away,  went to Wembley in 66. Mum,  although  Polish, lived and breathed Wednesday. As she was a massive royalist one of her proudest moments was getting a ticket to see the Queen open the kop. She cried buckets after the cup final. As for me supporting Wednesday seemed the natural things to do. Only ever set foot in the stain to watch Yorkshire play Glamorgan. Will never ever go there again. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Whats your story Trev?

nothing sparkling Nigel  started going in 57 with my dad who sadly got killed in a mining accident a few months later , , (rip dad, )my uncles then took up the challenge till i was 15 then i started playing myself so went to games with my mates when i could and enjoyed every minuit , wife fell ill as you know in about 96 , had to give up my job and care for her 24/7 never saw or heard much about wednesday only snippets and the odd news on tv as i couldn't get out to meet many  wednesday people even though they came down in the holiday season,But my love for the club never wavered it was just shelved for a while  in about 2002'3 my son introduced me to computers and i found owlstalk and my wednesaday life took off again, i found new friends on site and have met quite a few great people who went out of there way to make me welcome across the board, and found owlstalkers and wednesdayites the most generous understanding caring people i have ever  met , and tbh I wouldn't swap that feeling for Diamonds , and the greatest game for me was (and you can forget the arsenals the promotion  your Brightons and even the playoffs ) obviously they meant a lot  but the biggest most memorial game was the megson  game  his last where owlstalkers gave me a memmory i will never forget you made a grown man cry that week grandad you and many more , i had given up on ever seeing hilsborough in all it's glory ever again but you and many like you made the difference and made it  so so special and i hadn't met or seen any of you my friends god bless you all ,  well that's my story  not sparkling but true to every word  wawaw

Edited by trevdi9
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Deleted member
12 minutes ago, trevdi9 said:

nothing sparkling Nigel  started going in 57 with my dad who sadly got killed in a mining accident a few months later , , (rip dad, )my uncles then took up the challenge till i was 15 then i started playing myself so went to games with my mates when i could and enjoyed every minuit , wife fell ill as you know in about 96 , had to give up my job and care for her 24/7 never saw or heard much about wednesday only snippets and the odd news on tv as i couldn't get out to meet many  wednesday people even though they came down in the holiday season,But my love for the club never wavered it was just shelved for a while  in about 2002'3 my son introduced me to computers and i found owlstalk and my wednesaday life took off again, i found new friends on site and have met quite a few great people who went out of there way to make me welcome across the board, and found owlstalkers and wednesdayites the most generous understanding caring people i have ever  met , and tbh I wouldn't swap that feeling for Diamonds , and the greatest game for me was (and you can forget the arsenals the promotion  your Brightons and even the playoffs ) obviously they meant a lot  but the biggest most memorial game was the megson  game  his last where owlstalkers gave me a memmory i will never forget you made a grown man cry that week grandad you and many more , i had given up on ever seeing hilsborough in all it's glory ever again but you and many like you made the difference and made it  so so special and i hadn't met or seen any of you my friends god bless you all ,  well that's my story  not sparkling but true to every word  wawaw

Its a hell of a story mate - as it emphasises what the Wednesday story is all about for me - the fans. Collectively we are (in my mind) the very best of communities - and Owlstalk helps so much in that. It helps us to communicate, wind each other up, provide support, raise huge sums of money for charity, share stories, help fans out with tickets. Its an amazing resource for so many.

So I guess - take a bow Neil too. The £1000's youve spent on hosting over the years have made such a big impact on many peoples lives - and its often a thankless task where you even get abused for promoting your bands (which pays the bills)

Edited by Deleted member

49 minutes ago, PARKOWL said:

I'm not quite as eloquent as most of the posts in here but my first memory of knowing what Wednesday meant to me was listening to the 86 semi final on the radio because i was told I was to young to be taken and crying my eyes out at the final whistle, but my most treasured memory is of the 91 cup final 2nd row from the back of Wembley, I was 13 my brother was 9 with my dad sat between us, and as the final whistle went and we was hugging, my dad hugged us both and with tears rolling down his cheeks and with his blue and white hooped Wednesday bobble hat that had been to Highbury in 83 and villa park in 86 he just kept uttering the words we've done it lads we've finally bloody done it.

Like I said not as eloquent as others but even now I've got a lump in my throat thinking about it  

I've got a lump in my throat just reading it.

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Get over yourselves for goodness sake.

People disagree with each other. Doesn't make them any less of a supporter just because you have differences with them. 

Absolutely no issue with people having different points of view, it's what makes a forum a forum.

I hardly ever neg people on here however, as I'd rather argue / debate my point and let the opposing viewpoint be argued likewise. Hopefully the most potent argument prevails.

Unfortunately can't say that of everyone and there are loads of people on here that do not present any sort of argument but just neg at the least provocation, the author of, what I have to admit, is a very good OP, is a case in point. (Certainly regarding the negging aspect)

My slightly tongue in cheek original reply was aimed at what I thought was a slightly hypocritical OP (although an excellent piece) following weeks & weeks of unbridled negativity, with the one exception that was conveniently retracted prior to this one going live. But maybe that's me being too picky and maybe reading too much into things. 

Anyway, leave it at that, 150 years, onwards & upwards.

35 minutes ago, darra said:

My dad was a huge Wednesdayite went to matches home and away,  went to Wembley in 66. Mum,  although  Polish, lived and breathed Wednesday. As she was a massive royalist one of her proudest moments was getting a ticket to see the Queen open the kop. She cried buckets after the cup final. As for me supporting Wednesday seemed the natural things to do. Only ever set foot in the stain to watch Yorkshire play Glamorgan. Will never ever go there again. 

what Cricket and the lane in the same breath , darra you have a new found respect from me mate you must have balls of steel lol 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BRADDO said:

I've got a lump in my throat just reading it.

Cheers mate, he was 44 at the cup final and a big burley brick layer so was a bit out of character , mind you he still is a big burley brick layer at 70 just not as fast and a lot softer :biggrin: