Joost Van Aken Signs - OFFICIAL

4 minutes ago, Adam Reachs left peg said:

Can we at least give the lad a try before we right him off 

Au contraire - it's quite the opposite, I've already decided he should replace our captain in the starting XI and that he can play multiple positions.

Way ahead of the moaners on this one.

Mr.-Bean-Thumbs-Up.jpg

Edited by Indoor Owl
  • Haha 1

Guest RocketOwl

I've never heard of him so he can't be that good. 

Will wait and see will will give him 10 games like JR and form an opinion. RO

I really think those who are sceptical about his place in the squad are going to be pleasantly surprised. Despite his age, he isn't "one for the future", he's one for now. I would be extremely surprised if he's behind Loovens in the pecking order.

CB pool of

Lees

van Aken 

Loovens

Venancio 

Is one of the best in the league in terms of strength in depth. It's took all window, but this is one area of the pitch at least we've equipped ourselves brilliantly in

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

I really think those who are sceptical about his place in the squad are going to be pleasantly surprised. Despite his age, he isn't "one for the future", he's one for now. I would be extremely surprised if he's behind Loovens in the pecking order.

CB pool of

Lees

van Aken 

Loovens

Venancio 

Is one of the best in the league in terms of strength in depth. It's took all window, but this is one area of the pitch at least we've equipped ourselves brilliantly in

To add to that Hutch or Pudil and you've got plenty if we were ever in a position where 1 or 2 are injured or suspended and or we ever decide to give three at the back a go. 

Like me I said in an earlier post, a bit of pace, mobility and ability to play the ball out should push the whole team forward and let those in front of the defence do their jobs. 

Shame me it took us so long but better late than never. 

21 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

CB pool of

Lees

van Aken 

Loovens

Venancio 

You missed out Hutchinson and Pudil...They can play centre half...quite well...it wasn't a key worry..It was strong enough...I know..lets buy another TWO!!..smacks of "FFS!..Lets buy something"

1 minute ago, asteener1867 said:

You missed out Hutchinson and Pudil...They can play centre half...quite well...it wasn't a key worry..It was strong enough...I know..lets buy another TWO!!..smacks of "FFS!..Lets buy something"

It was stated at start of window to be a key area of concern. Stated we needed two, smacks of we've done what we planned and what we said if anything.

To say we are already strong or not needing reinforcements is to say you're happy with the midfield being defenders and attackers being midfielders. As in last 12 months or so the only reason we've conceded so few is everyone is too deep, playing with a lack of freedom and covering up our defensive inadequacy. 

Our defence either (dependent on the combo) lacked: height, mobility or ability to distribute. If we've fixed that, we may have fixed the entire teams problems and addressed why we can't get top forwards to score or create chances.

4 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Reminds me of the Winnal and Rhodes scenario again. On the bright side he is 23 years young which is a good step could be a first teamer for years :biggrin:

Welcomes Mr Joost Van Aken   (yes I copied and pasted that from the title) 

Good Luck

6 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Hutchinson, like Loovens, can't be trusted for enough games and Pudil despite doing reasonably well has hardly played there throughout his career.

100% the right thing to bring 2 in, whether they're up to the job remains to be seen.

Ticks a lot of boxes for.

As a fan base, we've complained about our transfer policy for the last 12 months now. 

In the signings of Frederico & Van Aken, there seems to have been a shift. Maybe, just maybe, Carlos has had more of a say in these transfers than he has in the previous?

Anyway, I'm sick of seeing us spend 50% of the time with the ball at our centre halves feet, to see them pass it hesitantly between each other or for Tom Lees to either slice it out of play or lump it up towards Jordan Rhodes. So that's that box ticked. 

He isn't 28-30 year old, and will have a resale value in years to come. Box ticked.

He's a big lad. People were demanding a big unit of a centre half (to the extent that they were yearning for Aden Flint), and at 6ft5, he's certainly that. Box ticked.

He has played at a good level, for a decent club, for a few years, and still has a lot of time to develop. Box ticked. 

AND HE ISN'T SCOTTISH. Box well and truly ticked!

Can't comment on his ability, but on paper, it looks like a deal that...ticks all the right boxes. 

• Like 2

Just now, Smarties said:

Reminds me of the Winnal and Rhodes scenario again. On the bright side he is 23 years young which is a good step could be a first teamer for years :biggrin:

Welcomes Mr Joost Van Aken   (yes I copied and pasted that from the title) 

Good Luck

Yes indeed I welcome him..put the shirt on and I'm right behind any bugger...My problem is that we seem to want a centre back who pushes forward into midfield and pops up to score the odd goal..fair enough..but then again..you could buy a centre forward that drops back into midfield and stops the odd goal...

ends up what you are actually  looking for is a midfielder who does f.ookin' both!....Its an expensive and long winded way of doing the sodding obvious in my eyes...But meh..I've not got FIFA whateverthefook.........

Guest mrbluesky
59 minutes ago, Indoor Owl said:

Not really, I'm more hinting that we shouldn't be entirely surprised if we see him at left back.  

I'd probably be inclined to play him there over Pudil and Fox, to be honest.

Pudil doesn't seem to have the legs for it, and Fox isn't quite ready

Really lol