Joost Van Aken Signs - OFFICIAL

1 hour ago, Marko Bok said:

http://www.heardutchhere.net/dufinalN.html :stuwinky:

It's not surprising, because in English sit and sing used to be sitten and singen, and there are many similarities in the way English and Dutch have developed. In Afrikaans the n has been lost too at the end of verbs. 

Here in the north we don't pronounce English the standard way. Dutch a isn't exactly like standard English o, you're right, but if Sheffielders said fon in the Netherlands, Dutch people would immediately recognize that as van. Notice how strang became strong, lang became long etc in English.

18 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

It's not surprising, because in English sit and sing used to be sitten and singen, and there are many similarities in the way English and Dutch have developed. In Afrikaans the n has been lost too at the end of verbs. 

Here in the north we don't pronounce English the standard way. Dutch a isn't exactly like standard English o, you're right, but if Sheffielders said fon in the Netherlands, Dutch people would immediately recognize that as van. Notice how strang became strong, lang became long etc in English.

Ok, that's something I don't know. But the link in your post about the final N is actually about slang/street language. It's often considered as childish and is used by people who forgot to pick up an IQ at birth. If you say: The Dutch drop the final N, it's the same as I would say: Scousers speak the real English.

So, you can say 'van Aken', with the N :)

3 minutes ago, Marko Bok said:

Ok, that's something I don't know. But the link in your post about the final N is actually about slang/street language. It's often considered as childish and is used by people who forgot to pick up an IQ at birth. If you say: The Dutch drop the final N, it's the same as I would say: Scousers speak the real English.

So, you can say 'van Aken', with the N :)

The Dutch commentator was probably an ex-footballer. "Over 'ere, son, on me 'ead" :stuwinky:... or "over 'ier zoon, aan mij' 'oofd" :manager:

37 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

jekunt het, :biggrin:

Edited by Ronio