Joost Van Aken Signs - OFFICIAL

1 minute ago, frastheowl said:

Ticks a lot of boxes for.

As a fan base, we've complained about our transfer policy for the last 12 months now. 

In the signings of Frederico & Van Aken, there seems to have been a shift. Maybe, just maybe, Carlos has had more of a say in these transfers than he has in the previous?

Anyway, I'm sick of seeing us spend 50% of the time with the ball at our centre halves feet, to see them pass it hesitantly between each other or for Tom Lees to either slice it out of play or lump it up towards Jordan Rhodes. So that's that box ticked. 

He isn't 28-30 year old, and will have a resale value in years to come. Box ticked.

He's a big lad. People were demanding a big unit of a centre half (to the extent that they were yearning for Aden Flint), and at 6ft5, he's certainly that. Box ticked.

He has played at a good level, for a decent club, for a few years, and still has a lot of time to develop. Box ticked. 

AND HE ISN'T SCOTTISH. Box well and truly ticked!

Can't comment on his ability, but on paper, it looks like a deal that...ticks all the right boxes. 

Looking at limited ball playing CB about and the crazy valuations on them (stones, Van Dyke) IF he can cut it, he'll be worth his weight in gold. 

Not many ball playong giants (other than Dave) about! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, modboy said:

Would that in theory be allowed?

Chances are it would be penalised for "Unsporting Behaviour", similarly with lifting a player at set pieces like they do in rugby for line outs.

Not sure if it is explicitly disallowed in the law book though.

Think Fras hits the nail on the head. 

Nothing wrong with bringing in proven players, but I think (with some joys of hindsight) we probably overdid it a bit last season. 

Having a nice mix of established pros, with young and up and comers sounds like a good recipe to me and is certainly beneficial for the club in the long term. 

Up and coming players surely is the right way to go. 

How many crocked centre backs have we brought in over the years, only to see them get injured time and again.  

It's about time we start building for the future.  

Really have high hopes for Joost.  

He will do well here.  

10 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Think Fras hits the nail on the head. 

Nothing wrong with bringing in proven players, but I think (with some joys of hindsight) we probably overdid it a bit last season. 

Having a nice mix of established pros, with young and up and comers sounds like a good recipe to me and is certainly beneficial for the club in the long term. 

Agreed. Let's hope there's been a shift in our recruitment policy

The other good thing is Van Anken and the lad we just brought in from Portugal won't be on huge amounts of money. 

Obviously if they do well they'll be rewarded with better deals etc., but for now, we will have two lads on pretty modest wages. 

1 minute ago, Ronio said:

Up and coming players surely is the right way to go. 

How many crocked centre backs have we brought in over the years, only to see them get injured time and again.  

It's about time we start building for the future.  

Really have high hopes for Joost.  

He will do well here.  

I convince myself with so many players they will be the missing link! From days gone by with players like Blinker and Jeffers. But this time! This time I think we have a good one.... who could, just maybe.... 

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

The other good thing is Van Anken and the lad we just brought in from Portugal won't be on huge amounts of money. 

Obviously if they do well they'll be rewarded with better deals etc., but for now, we will have two lads on pretty modest wages. 

Yes, good point. It's not all about throwing huge cash at transfers. There are good deals to be had. Other teams do these regularly. It's about time we did too.