Joost Van Aken Signs - OFFICIAL

3 hours ago, Fuzzy logics said:

With these new signings CC could really shake things up if he had the cajones........

Westwood

Venacio          Lees        Van Aken

Hunt           Hutch           Bannan         Reach

Hooper           Rhodes         Forestieiri               

Don't think we need CDM with 3 at back, Lee for Hutch, Joao for Rhodes, sorted... 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, themaskedowl said:

Welcome Mr Van Aken. May your time at Wednesday be a highlight for your career and our history.  

Ecco this. Let's hope your partnership with Mr Tom Lees becomes as strong as anything we have seen at Hillsborough in recent memory.

His passing looks better than anything we have in the back 4 at present so I feel a new Dutch calm decending in defence soon......part of the missing ingredients in our squad.

Good luck and UTO!

48 minutes ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

I've worked with unpleasant people of all races, creeds and colours, that's life lol

So have I but I've never been made to feel like an outsider in a work environment even worse at a company that actively promotes it 

If the squad didn't scream out "THREE AT THE BACK" before, it certainly does now.

My reservation previously about opting for a back three (aside from a lack of numbers!), was Lees & Loovens lack of mobility and their limitations with the ball at their feet. In fact, only a couple of weeks ago, I suggested a back with of Hutchinson-Lees-Pudil a far more attractive option, as both of the wide centre halves in that set-up had experience at playing full back, so we're more mobile, and both are comfortable on the ball.

However, we now seemingly have two genuine footballing centre halves. Both are young and seem quick enough on their feet to cover the spaces left behind the wing backs. And both seem comfortable not only passing the ball decisively but bringing the ball out from the back, which is imperative in a POSITIVE back three formation.

A basic shape of:

---------Frederico-------Lees-------Van Aken-------

Hunt-------------------------------------------------Reach

----------------Bannan----------Lee----------------------

-------------------------Forestieri-------------------------

---------------Hooper-----------Fletcher----------------

...is genuinely, very exciting. Players playing in their favoured position, and been allowed to play to their strengths. Away from home, a Hutchinson or Jones comes in for a Forestieri, and Bannan or Lee are given more licence to break from midfield, or when the need to retain a lead, replacing Reach with a Pudil or Fox offers some more solidity. Rhodes competes with Fletcher, and both should profit from attacking wide men offering width. There's also the opportunity for Abdi to play in his favoured No. 10 role.

It just looks right.

Will it happen? Probably not. But I do have a nagging wonder, why the need to bring in two centre halves with footballing ability, who will almost certainly expect first team football. Unless Lees is off (I see Burnley are still playing Tarkowski at centre half, and haven't replaced Keane yet) or he's getting dropped...it seems like one of these signings is a tad unnecessary (especially considering Pudil's relatively solid stint at centre half).

6 hours ago, Fuzzy logics said:

With these new signings CC could really shake things up if he had the cajones........

Westwood

Venacio          Lees        Van Aken

Hunt           Hutch           Bannan         Reach

Hooper           Rhodes         Forestieiri               

I'm happy to be corrected but I think both our new CD signings arrive from clubs where they've both been playing in back 4's. Obviously that doesn't necessarily mean they can't play in a 3 but add CC into the equation and it's very doubtful.

We certainly have the players to experiment a little which would at least make us less predictable to opposing coaches. I'm sure teams setting up against us never have a plan B in te event we spring a surprise.

1 hour ago, Morepork said:

I'm happy to be corrected but I think both our new CD signings arrive from clubs where they've both been playing in back 4's. Obviously that doesn't necessarily mean they can't play in a 3 but add CC into the equation and it's very doubtful.

We certainly have the players to experiment a little which would at least make us less predictable to opposing coaches. I'm sure teams setting up against us never have a plan B in te event we spring a surprise.

Yes, and the formation above would be a considerable surprise. Ha ha.

3 hours ago, frastheowl said:

If the squad didn't scream out "THREE AT THE BACK" before, it certainly does now.

My reservation previously about opting for a back three (aside from a lack of numbers!), was Lees & Loovens lack of mobility and their limitations with the ball at their feet. In fact, only a couple of weeks ago, I suggested a back with of Hutchinson-Lees-Pudil a far more attractive option, as both of the wide centre halves in that set-up had experience at playing full back, so we're more mobile, and both are comfortable on the ball.

However, we now seemingly have two genuine footballing centre halves. Both are young and seem quick enough on their feet to cover the spaces left behind the wing backs. And both seem comfortable not only passing the ball decisively but bringing the ball out from the back, which is imperative in a POSITIVE back three formation.

A basic shape of:

---------Frederico-------Lees-------Van Aken-------

Hunt-------------------------------------------------Reach

----------------Bannan----------Lee----------------------

-------------------------Forestieri-------------------------

---------------Hooper-----------Fletcher----------------

...is genuinely, very exciting. Players playing in their favoured position, and been allowed to play to their strengths. Away from home, a Hutchinson or Jones comes in for a Forestieri, and Bannan or Lee are given more licence to break from midfield, or when the need to retain a lead, replacing Reach with a Pudil or Fox offers some more solidity. Rhodes competes with Fletcher, and both should profit from attacking wide men offering width. There's also the opportunity for Abdi to play in his favoured No. 10 role.

It just looks right.

Will it happen? Probably not. But I do have a nagging wonder, why the need to bring in two centre halves with footballing ability, who will almost certainly expect first team football. Unless Lees is off (I see Burnley are still playing Tarkowski at centre half, and haven't replaced Keane yet) or he's getting dropped...it seems like one of these signings is a tad unnecessary (especially considering Pudil's relatively solid stint at centre half).

Considering that Pudil is a full back, he has done a solid stint there. But he is a full back, after all. Carlos believes that all the more exotic formations require top defenders, especially ones which can use the ball. The lads we've brought in look like they can do that, so maybe your predictions will come true. Hope so.

5 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

The Dutch don't pronounce the final n.

Sorry? We do say the n at the end of a word.

It's pronounched a s Yoast 'vahn' (there is no word with the Dutch A in English, but it's not pronounced as an O) Ah-kun (pronounce the u as in 'word')

Edited by Marko Bok
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

By the way, his name's pronounced Yoast fon Ah-kuh

Dutch oo is like oa in boat.

Dutch a sounds like o in cot.

The Dutch don't pronounce the final n.

1 hour ago, Marko Bok said:

It's pronounched a s Yoast 'vahn' (there is no word with the Dutch A in English, but it's not pronounced as an O) Ah-kun (pronounce the u as in 'word')

oooooh 2.gif

3 hours ago, Marko Bok said:

Goedemorge(n). So how come the commentator in the video says fon Ah-kuh? :stuwinky: