So when do we class it as as bad start?

18 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

We won 6 out of the 7 last league games.  We played a 2nd 11 in the one game we lost.  Never let the truth get in the way of talkingbollocks.

Or to look at it another way, we beat five teams with absolutely nothing to play for (Rotherham, Cardiff, QPR, Derby and Ipswich) and then put in two dreadful performances in the play-off semi finals.

It's not just about the start of the season.

We closed out last season by wasting a HUGE opportunity. We followed this up by a pre-season in which we appeared to do absolutely nothing, on or off the pitch. A lack of communication on things fans were asking about, a lack of activity in the transfer market and failure to address problems with the squad that people have been asking about since the PREVIOUS play-off defeat, nevermind the one just inflicted. 

We've then gone into the new season by taking 1 point from Preston and QPR.

Frustration both with Carlos and with certain players as individuals has been bubbling under the surface for a while, since well into last season. Runs like our end of season have papered over some cracks, but the manner of the Huddersfield games and this total waste of a pre-season has brought those feelings right back to the foreground.

We NEEDED a strong start and we've not got one. It feels like we've absolutely limped into this season and that's reflected by what we've seen on the pitch. There's huge pressure now on the Sunderland and Fulham games, not exactly ideal matches to attribute so much need to win to. Fail to win those will result in a genuine backlash.. and it WILL be justified and warranted. 

4 hours ago, Mr Meadows said:

if we dont get a win out of either t/row or saturday and then fail to beat Burton I think Carlos will be out before the end of the month - which would be a terrible start

That would be a terrible start, however, it could also be a blessing in disguise if it means we get a new manager in before September. They would still have plenty of time to turn it round.

For me CC will lose his job sometime this season, better that it happens early so a new man can do something this season.

4 hours ago, I Love Sturrock said:

Or to look at it another way, we beat five teams with absolutely nothing to play for (Rotherham, Cardiff, QPR, Derby and Ipswich) and then put in two dreadful performances in the play-off semi finals.

Care to remind me how many points we gained from the 25 games upto the Fulham game.  Perhaps all of our opponents had nothing to play for.  Or, do results only count when they support the negative agenda?

9 hours ago, Whatahoot said:

Given the players  and coaches pledge, pre season, to get off to a quick start, the quality of the two teams we have played in the league, the fact that our chairman has a previously stated aim of promotion by the end of this season and success at all cost,,the lack of defensive cover, the injury list already etc , we are walking in treacle as far as progress is concerned on the pitch.We could not have had a worst start to the seson, apart from QPR winning too.

Add to this the fact that we have had a very ordinary pre season, a late start in selling supposedly celebrated new shirts, players fighting in training,player transfer breaking down and announced on a match day . The biggest disappointment of all is that, apparently, we are suddenly cash strapped to a point, where we have the begging bowl out to our already hard stretched fans. I don't understand why Mr C can't improve the capital position of the club by injecting further funds via increased sponsorship deals. Surely if he wants to increase the value of the sponsorship deals he has personally with the club, ie on our shirts, around the ground etc, then he can rewrite the deals. He did say "no matter the cost " ? Or does he not want too at this point ??

Something has happened over the summer, that has brought about a very negative feeling around our club and  to the start of this season.The danger is that our opponents will feel it too and cash in at our expense.we need to get the show back on the road and quick.

What a superb post

Guest everydays_wednesday

I feel if we can beat Sunderland who had a really good result against Norwich it will get us back on track. And then if we are on 8 or 10 points after 5 games we should be feeling much more relaxed about things.

However, a loss tomorrow and anything less than a point at Fulham and a win at Burton will mean meltdown and in reality a poor start that CC will do well to overcome.

Yeah but we need to get above them asap. 

Not just for our ambitions of promotion but because pig fans are getting on my flippin nerves going on about being above us having spent sod all.

I can't even slate them for last night until we've got our game over with.

Kin hate them being in same division, I really do.

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:11, HOSTAGE IN PYONGYANG said:

Do you think Villa will be in trouble at the end of the season? No. They will be up there. So will we.

And the relevance of where Villa end up is what?

Or if villa don't get in the top six is it OK for us not to, when have we started measuring our success along with what Villa do?

Edited by the third man

2 hours ago, theowlsman said:

We could win tonight and be 5 points behind the leaders.

It's already a bad start.

The numbers so far are that we've managed just 2 goals, 2 points and 8 attempts on target from 3 games. We're already 7 points behind the leaders. On average, teams getting automatic promotion (which is supposedly our aim) drop no more than 50 points and we've squandered 7 already. Given the resources invested on attacking players, this is woeful and not conducive to being successful over the course of a full campaign. Overall, our start can be judged as nothing other than poor.

Those statistics on their own are not cause for too much alarm as there is plenty of time to rescue the situation. But what is of concern is that there are precious few signs we're on the verge of the sort of breakthrough we need to be a serious top two threat and are continuing the labouring of the previous season. Discontent appears to be growing in numerous areas around the club and that cannot be helpful to our goals. 

We appear to be trending downwards rather than upwards and could be on the verge of losing our most consistently creative player; an element we are sorely lacking from other quarters. The squad situation in defence has been nothing short of shambolic and we are evidently not in a financial position to bring in new players to freshen things up. At the moment I have little confidence we can get promoted automatically as we're having to work too hard to scrape results. 

Edited by DJMortimer