Forestieri not in the squad

Its a strange one and clearly its now (finally) coming to a head and we do have a time frame of two weeks to sort it out. 

FF is our best player - inspirational and make things out of nothing - normally goals. But like Di-Canio, he is flawed and unfortunately managers have to manage these type of players carefully. When the manager comes under pressure for the wider results/performances, it may affect the way he reacts to the player. 

I expect FF will move on and it will be a sad day for me. I'm hoping we don't miss too much and have players to step up and produce what he does. Time will tell.

1 minute ago, pgmetcalf said:

Wouldn't say he's our best player, but is probably our most creative, which is a shame because creativity is what we need

He's our top goal scorer for the last two seasons for a start. 

Arguably Lee is a better midfield player, but Lee has a big injury problem. 

Forestieri for me is the first name on the team sheet.

I'm starting to feel like there is a bit of perception management going on about Forestieri. 

When Barca or Real want to sell a first team player, all sorts of stories end up in the press. The clubs facilitate a whirlwind of activity aimed at wearing down fans goodwill towards players. It happened with Neymar (storms out of training, makes friends with Real players, argues with teammates, refuses to play) and there's a few times it looked like it is happening to Bale.

I don't necessarily completely believe this is true, but an interesting thought: we're spent up to FFP and need to sell someone. Fernando is the only saleable asset we have (a sad indictment of our transfer policy), so the club...

Tell the press he doesn't want to play wide left as he doesn't want to work back (shock horror, work-shyness is the worst charge that can be levelled at anyone according to a lot of our fan base). Why announce this to the press? You expect managers to protect their players under normal circumstances.

Ban him for a training ground alteration (Carlos says this is nothing to worry about and happens all the time - as far as I'm aware this is the first ban for a training ground bust up we've had... ever. If this is such commonplace - why the ban? To increase publicity? To push him towards the door?)

Add this to the residual animosity due to the Norwich debacle and a seemingly close minded unwillingness to accept "fancy dans" in favour of hardworkers amongst the fan base and all of a sudden you've got fans howling for their best player to be sold. 

Like I say... not sure I believe that's what's happening, but certain things aren't sitting right with me in the whole situation. 

8 minutes ago, nickswfc said:

Genuinely can't believe there's such a large portion of you that want our best player in 17 years to leave. Our best player who has been our talisman in our two best seasons in 17 years.

Absolute stupidity. 

Arguably our best player but definitely our most temperamental 

1 minute ago, vulva said:

Best player in the last 17 years?

Christ, has it been as bad as that?

I'm afraid it has, and this is why it will be such a sad day if we start to lose these type of players. It's almost we as a club, aren't big enough to have em around and resort to the willing runner and multi-tasker player.

8 minutes ago, Random Task said:

I'm starting to feel like there is a bit of perception management going on about Forestieri. 

When Barca or Real want to sell a first team player, all sorts of stories end up in the press. The clubs facilitate a whirlwind of activity aimed at wearing down fans goodwill towards players. It happened with Neymar (storms out of training, makes friends with Real players, argues with teammates, refuses to play) and there's a few times it looked like it is happening to Bale.

I don't necessarily completely believe this is true, but an interesting thought: we're spent up to FFP and need to sell someone. Fernando is the only saleable asset we have (a sad indictment of our transfer policy), so the club...

Tell the press he doesn't want to play wide left as he doesn't want to work back (shock horror, work-shyness is the worst charge that can be levelled at anyone according to a lot of our fan base). Why announce this to the press? You expect managers to protect their players under normal circumstances.

Ban him for a training ground alteration (Carlos says this is nothing to worry about and happens all the time - as far as I'm aware this is the first ban for a training ground bust up we've had... ever. If this is such commonplace - why the ban? To increase publicity? To push him towards the door?)

Add this to the residual animosity due to the Norwich debacle and a seemingly close minded unwillingness to accept "fancy dans" in favour of hardworkers amongst the fan base and all of a sudden you've got fans howling for their best player to be sold. 

Like I say... not sure I believe that's what's happening, but certain things aren't sitting right with me in the whole situation. 

I think this is exactly what's going on. Having slept on it.

Either way fed up of the drama. 

22 minutes ago, pgmetcalf said:

An even bigger bite than it is now? Who's to say he'll play in our division anyway?

It would have to be a move abroad then. He's not PL quality I'm afraid. Would get into most top 6 Championship sides and be a great addition but doesn't have the all round game to make him a starter in the PL. Add to that a £8-10m fee and decent wages and there are better options out there.

Edited by just visiting

10 hours ago, Saxondale said:

I can only go on what I've been told. But I wouldn't want to plaster it all over here. I put on here that FF wouldn't be involved today on Thursday. Was shouted down for it and called a "shittstirrer". All I would say is Winnall was involved today and FF wasn't. That tells you all you need to know.

does it though? And this is a serious question but I don't know and you obv know more than me or most of us. For example a nasty challenge could quite easily provoke a violent retaliation from FF which could be the reason for his exclusion but the perpetrator not punished because it was challenge during a game? Just wondering 

23 minutes ago, Manchester_Owl said:

He's our top goal scorer for the last two seasons for a start. 

Arguably Lee is a better midfield player, but Lee has a big injury problem. 

Forestieri for me is the first name on the team sheet.

Lee is a box to box player and generally drifts out onto the wings. He's more of a poacher and good at setting up 1-2s etc. FF is more a finesse player with a better shot from long range and set pieces 

43 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

I dont have confidence that we have coaching staff to deal with him effectively tbh. He's a great player, but he needs managing. Im not convinced he's being managed correctly. 

I cant help but feel the article last week, that inferred FF doesn't want to / like playing left, has played a part in all of this. Give the local journos a sniff and they're make a headline...doom was at it again yesterday an hour before kickoff. 

Fully agree, Imagine seeing all the b011ocks written about you most of it literally that and the manager and fans of your own team hanging you out to dry before even getting the full story. Id be f ing livid as well. Certainly enough to react badly to what I perceived as a pi55take of a challenge 

Guest BULGARIA
1 hour ago, Mr Farrell said:

Strong possibility you are correct.

It would just be soul destroying to see him tear up this division with a different club.

Ive no doubt he will be tearing up a division but then 12 months down the line he will be sulking again as someone is getting more cash or a better dummy to spit out.

Cant wait to see him sold as i believe he is a big factor in our team not looking like a team. Like ive said in a previous post, i bet the training ground would breath a huge sigh of relief if he were gone.

34 minutes ago, vulva said:

Some would argue that players that have gone on to be international and premier league regulars are/were better.

off top of my head Whelan and Brunt have achieved more top flight games in their careers than FF likely ever will. 

Mixed feelings from me. 

What does my head in is the constant Fernando show. Always some drama going off. 

In his first season he was excellent, as someone who didn't really watch Wednesday in the PL due to age. FF was the best player I've ever seen in a Wednesday shirt. But last season he was bang average in a slow, negative, attritional team and the side show was definitely not worth the end product on the pitch. 

I can't help but feel we are missing a trick with Forestieri. We have the perfect players to come up with a system that would make him a top player again. Get him at the tip of a diamond and watch him flourish. Give him a free role, let him win us games.

If we are looking to sell I can't see us getting more then 6 million for him. His value would have plummeted since the beginning of last season. 

Not read through the 20 new pages on here so not sure if I've missed something important. 

For me FF is a good championship player, it's unknown if he'd cut it above that level and he's not consistently setting this league on fire. 

I can't see who would want to spend £10-12m on him. But if someone were to offer I think we could better use those funds elsewhere. As I imagine signing Irvine and Mulgrew for example would cost £2m and they would likely take the same salary as FF. 

That means we'd have a dominating CM that scores goals, a utility defender who's left footed and £10m or so in the bank. If we splashed that or saved it in a view of balancing the books we still have a strong squad and we'd be able to see more of Matias and Abdi from a creativity perspective. 

43 minutes ago, vulva said:

Best in 17yr ?!?    Brunt , Whelan and Michail Antonio have achieved more than FF ever has or ever will 

2 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

Agreed.

Like to see him stay, but managed by a different manager who gets more out of him.

He arguably had his best ever season with the current manager.

Promble is that many fans now see that 1st season as the norm when in reality Forestieri peaked and is now back to his "real" level.

Do people honestly think that the club would be looking to move Nando on (assuming they actually are) if he hadn't also given them some reason to do so? 

We had him sign a new contract in January (perhaps to offer us a bit more protection in the summer). 

Could it not just be the case (speculation on my part) that perhaps the club has reached breaking point with him and have decided enough is enough? 

He was forgiven for the Norwich game nonsense and signed a new deal. The club did back him when it would have been very easy to ostracize him from the squad or move him on. 

Now it transpires that he's had a bust up with one of his teammates - the same teammate who was included on Saturday and scored, whilst Nando watched from the stands. 

He is a great talent, but there is only so much leeway that can be afforded to him before things cross a certain line. 

Edited by SiJ