Joao to Wolves???

Obviously has a lot of talent. Confidence is huge for him. First season he scored a few big goals early on and for a while looked like a world beater. Last season he missed a couple of sitters and looked like Lloyd Owusu at times... With a run in the side AND fan backing he could be devastating, but I'm not sure he's gonna get either of those

I remember one particular incident, I think it was Norwich away last season. Joao received the ball in his own half, turned, taking two players out of the game, and hit a 40 yard cross field pass to set up a right side attack. Granted, for every moment like that, there are 20 more where the ball runs of his shins, or he turns into traffic

The fact that he can do those things, only the likes of Bannan and Forestieri can, is probably the reason I'd like us to persist with him

Edited by gurujuan

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Didn't he have an identical record to Rhodes, and playing with, presumably worse players

Maybe but my take on it is if he's not good enough for Blackburn he sure as hell ain't good enough for us. You have seen him play haven't you??

3 hours ago, sMacLean said:

Joao is useful in that he's got pace, is unorthodox in his style and got height too.

He can draw players away and be a good foil.Rather we kept him and lost Nuhiu at least for that role.

You do suspect at somepoint he'll hit a golden run somewhere and end up with a career in the Prem or with Porto/Benfica or something daft.

When you say unorthodox you mean he's got no idea what he's doing

I'd like to think João's going to come good this season, but I can't say I expect this to happen, sadly.

Been with us two seasons now, and it was apparent even after a month with us that he needed to strengthen - and yet two years later I can hardly say he seems any stronger on the ball than he did back then.

One way or another he has to show his worth to us this season because he'll be knocking 25 come the season after and I'd say if he's not been able to connect his potential with a reliable level of decent performances, then I'd say it's just not going to happen for him with us.

I genuinely hope he can push on this season because there is a player in there somewhere, but I sense the patience is running thin with him amongst the coaching staff so I also wouldn't be at all surprised to see him gone before the window shuts.

3 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

The only reason I'd sell Joao to another Championship club is if it was crazy money. It's not like Wolves to pay silly money for a player is it? Oh no wait hang on.....

This. I'm sure a 4m loan fee would seem reasonable to Wolves.

Very enigmatic player.

Our quickest player and far away our fastest striker. On the few occasions he gets beyond the defender none catch him. He doesn't look like he is sprinting with power, but his stride is so long he is gone before the defender can get near him.

He does have a few tricks, and is very capable of beating his marker.

He is excellent in the air in our box, but not great in the oppo's box. But then we don't put too many quality crosses in anyway. His aerial ability mid-field was dire in 15/16. But it did improve a lot in 16/17. His timing of leaps got far better, and it was noticeable that he attacked the ball on the run rather than using vertical jumps.

He is a handful for defences, so his partner, especially Hooper in 15/16, reaped benefit from that. 

But he has stopped scoring goals. One goal in 37 games since November 2015 (19 times more than 45 minutes, 18 times less than 45 minutes) is unsustainable as a main striker, just as it is for Nuhiu.

Should we keep him?

If Hooper, Rhodes and Fletcher are fit, they should always be our starters and first-change sub. After that, is Winnall or Joao more useful on the bench? I would suggest that Joao offers a bigger impact or variation for 30 minutes than Sam does. But then so does Nuhiu.

However, we know that Hooper and Fletch will have spells on the physio couch, when Joao or Nuhiu become definite subs.

With FF wide, Joao becomes our 4th choice striker. As 4th choice strikers go, Joao is a very good one, who offers something that none of our team possess. Don't forget, Quaner destroyed us deployed as RW, despite being a striker. Joao at 15 foot tall and faster than a gazelle, could offer a scary 15 minutes to any full-back too.

I think of all our squad he is the least skillful , his ball control is shocking ,he isn't strong in the air ,he has no physical presence ,his scoring record is poor .....he has pace but that alone isn't enough to warrant a place in the squad .

18 hours ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

Wolves have been linked with a surprise move for Sheffield Wednesday forward Lucas Joao.

The Portuguese striker has fallen down the ranks at Hillsborough and was shipped out on-loan to Blackburn Rovers last season.

The 23-year-old could be best set to go out on-loan once more, and Wolves are a possible destination given their decision to move on from Jon Dadi Bodvarsson this month.

In my opinion we should be building a team around Lucus Joao. Carlos handling of him I think could have been better. It is clear he's a young, confidence player in a new league/ country. 

Sure he's a but unpredictable and will blow slightly hot and cold but he was looking like the real deal. Carlos then made comments about head in clouds and "took him out of the firing line" but instead of grounding him it has knocked his confidence massively. 

He's the kind of kid who needs to feel wanted and I feel gives the pace and movement to get the best out of Abdi. Abdi at Watford had Troy Deeney stretching teams and had the vision to pick him out. 

Give Joao a run of games with Abdi / Hoops behind and Boyd / FF pinging early balls in from wide and you'll see us play like the first half against Hull at home last season where we tore them a new one and were unlucky to be only 1 up at ht

Edited by DuttyTeabags
Jungle

19 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I saw this mooted when the new manager came in Would be a pretty stupid move if we sanctioned a loan deal to one of our rivals. As the only player who offers real pace, we really need to keep him as an option

Joao has pace? You've been watching s different lad to me...he's all on coordinating his legs to get going!!

Wonder what response we'll see from Joao this season. Being booted out on loan to Blackburn may well have been a bit of a wake up call. Ever since his Portgual call up he's been more miss than hit. The lad does have the ability and attributes to be very effective, but that's nothing without the application - see McGugan. Fingers crossed Joao reacts in a positive way and kicks on.

44 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Wonder what response we'll see from Joao this season. Being booted out on loan to Blackburn may well have been a bit of a wake up call. Ever since his Portgual call up he's been more miss than hit. The lad does have the ability and attributes to be very effective, but that's nothing without the application - see McGugan. Fingers crossed Joao reacts in a positive way and kicks on.

Yes, that was my point, he has the ability to do things most of our players could only dream of, but that means nothing if the application isn't there

10 hours ago, Holmowl said:

He is deceptively quick. I don't recall a defender catching him. 

Not saying he's slow as he's obviously got a bit of pace about him and as you say he's our fastest striker but that bar isn't set very high is it? When people talk about pace I think of people like JJ, Walcott, Owen etc. the pure sprinters. Then there's a group just behind them with very quick players in it like Antonio. Now if I was a centre half and I saw the oppo was bringing one of that lot on I'd be definitely making allowances for their pace. I'd be very surprised if the same allowances were being made for Joao's pace. Again don't get me wrong as Joao is a strong runner when in full flow but if are calling him our pace outlet then I think we are struggling, I also think it's unfair on him to expect him to play that role as I don't think it suits him. If we want a flier up front go out and buy someone with that attribute, someone who's like bobbar off a shovel even if that means selling one or two.