Joao to Wolves???

1 minute ago, Walt said:

Not saying he's slow as he's obviously got a bit of pace about him and as you say he's our fastest striker but that bar isn't set very high is it? When people talk about pace I think of people like JJ, Walcott, Owen etc. the pure sprinters. Then there's a group just behind them with very quick players in it like Antonio. Now if I was a centre half and I saw the oppo was bringing one of that lot on I'd be definitely making allowances for their pace. I'd be very surprised if the same allowances were being made for Joao's pace. Again don't get me wrong as Joao is a strong runner when in full flow but if are calling him our pace outlet then I think we are struggling, I also think it's unfair on him to expect him to play that role as I don't think it suits him. If we want a flier up front go out and buy someone with that attribute, someone who's like bobbar off a shovel even if that means selling one or two.

It's all relative.... Walcott etc are lightning but defenders are arguably quicker too at that level. 

I know this, Curtis Davies, John Terry etc will certainly not be looking forward to any pace and adjusting for many players in the league. 

4 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

It's all relative.... Walcott etc are lightning but defenders are arguably quicker too at that level. 

I know this, Curtis Davies, John Terry etc will certainly not be looking forward to any pace and adjusting for many players in the league. 

Indeed they are, but pure pace is pure pace at any level. Do you remember Marc Overmars running away from Des Walker (England v Holland)?

John Terry has never had any pace but is brilliant positionally. I remember him been done up like a kipper a couple or so times over the years down to his lack of pace but those are the exceptions, not bad for someone who can't run! Be interesting to see how he gets on in the Championship.

Given that we have so many strikers you would have thought we would have bought one who has pace, I think the fact Joao has this means CC will keep him unless wolves pay 3m+. We do seem to like to keep players for sentimental reasons / good to have around etc etc.

We need the best players on the pitch not a just a character off it.

8 minutes ago, Walt said:

Indeed they are, but pure pace is pure pace at any level. Do you remember Marc Overmars running away from Des Walker (England v Holland)?

John Terry has never had any pace but is brilliant positionally. I remember him been done up like a kipper a couple or so times over the years down to his lack of pace but those are the exceptions, not bad for someone who can't run! Be interesting to see how he gets on in the Championship.

Whilst positioning can cover a lack of pace to a degree, it can't remove the need for it in its entirety. 

If it could, we wouldn't need to upgrade Loovens, Terry still be at Chelsea and playing for England. 

He will get exposed more and more, not just because he's getting slower. More so, his team mates won't be as good to cover up for him. 

Be an interesting season for many next term! I'm looking forward to it massively. On topic of Jaoa I'd keep him here just for those super slow back lines like Terry, Davies, Flint etc. gives them all something different to think of and gets them starting 5 yards back. 

39 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Whilst positioning can cover a lack of pace to a degree, it can't remove the need for it in its entirety. 

If it could, we wouldn't need to upgrade Loovens, Terry still be at Chelsea and playing for England. 

He will get exposed more and more, not just because he's getting slower. More so, his team mates won't be as good to cover up for him. 

Be an interesting season for many next term! I'm looking forward to it massively. On topic of Jaoa I'd keep him here just for those super slow back lines like Terry, Davies, Flint etc. gives them all something different to think of and gets them starting 5 yards back. 

Also something else to factor in, the game has got a lot quicker since Terry was able to stroll around With more emphasis placed on pace and athleticism, allied to skill, of course, it will be more difficult for sides that lack those attributes. To my mind, that was one of the reasons we played the way we did last season, in an attempt to negate sides who possess those attributes. To a certain extent, we succeeded, but it will become increasingly more difficult as more and more sides follow the Premier/World trend.

Joao or Negredo?? 

Wolves have been installed as second favourites to sign Valencia striker Alvaro Negredo this summer.

The Spanish forward spent last season on-loan at Middlesbrough in their relegation season, but was one of the brighter points in a dismal campaign in the north-east.