Alan Hutton?!

Don't think Hutton is as bad as many are making out, but I certainly wouldn't be inspired by us signing him.

At his peak he was a very good player; extremely quick, solid defensively, direct going forward and aggressive in a tackle.

However he's spent the last few years looking a shadow of his former self, at Villa he's hardly looked arsed half the time, seems more interested in collecting his oversized wage packet.

People have criticised Fletcher as being a Premier League player looking for one last contract, some seemed concerned Boyd might be in the same category. I am convinced that Alan Hutton is the epitome of an uninspired, overpaid player, happy to collect his money living off past reputation.

It's a no from me

Was meant to be decent last season and I'd prefer to judge him if/when he arrives 

But at face value, it's another older player who is potentially expensive. I think we could be a bit more experimental with this position with a younger wing back type 

I think from chatting to the Villa fans I work with today they would be more gutted to see him go due to his work rate and as they put it "has been the only player who tried the last 2 seasons when no one else did". This appears to be why he has developed an affection and affinity with their fans and they would be disappointed to see him leave, that and the fact that he is now one of their longest serving players in their current squad. 

However if I rewind to a few seasons before he was farmed out on loan for long spells and all iv'e ever heard on the player is how much of a car crash he was at times, they used to slate him non stop for his defensive capabilities and the fact he used to run down the wing failing to deliver a cross of any meaning. IMO he is no better than Hunt or Pudil at this level and we should be looking at better. 

26 minutes ago, s29wfc said:

So if he's had that much exposure playing for teams in the premiership for that long then they'd realise that he's got something... right? Or did the spurs, villa and scotland managers keep playing him for a laugh ??

Spurs had him as a back up for a long time - in fact, he was there for four years and only just made it to 50 games.

Villa got him in 2011 and he only played for one year before being loaned out. Twice. He didn't play a single game for them for two seasons.

As for Scotland, there were very few alternatives at right back until Callum Paterson broke out a year or so ago. I was at every single home game Hutton played in for the national team, so I feel like I've got some kind of perspective on his ability. He flatters to deceive and his only trick is cutting inside from the right back position. Not worth a fee, especially at 32.

Edited by daftpenguin

I simply can't believe we would be prepared a fee for a player that many Villa supporters would have driven to Wednesday for free. High wages, uninspiring target which leads me to question the quality of our management re recruitment, yet again. On top of that, do we really want to have dealings with Xia again after the fiasco with Bennett? Not better than Hunt IMO and yet more big money about to be squandered.

Guest mrbluesky
2 hours ago, Royal_D said:

Probably better than Palmer 

Probably on 4 times more than Palmer

3 hours ago, MuddyFunkster said:

Thankfully this comes from two of the worst sources in The Sun and HITC but we are bidding for Alan Hutton apparently. Really not sure about this one if true. 

The mad doctor at Villa has just tweeted his response to the rumour 

" '@)((*?@@::::!"

1 minute ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Villa are chasing Gunter, Reading RB, who is rumoured to have a release clause of around 1 million. At 27 a much better prospect than Hutton. Leeds and Swansea also interested, so why aren't we if we need another RB?

Would much prefer him over Hutton. Just hope the Hutton rumours are nothing but poor journalism. 

7 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Villa are chasing Gunter, Reading RB, who is rumoured to have a release clause of around 1 million. At 27 a much better prospect than Hutton. Leeds and Swansea also interested, so why aren't we if we need another RB?

Maybe we are???

9 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

I would love Grunter . Quality player ,and if the 1m is true , would be a steal.