Alan Hutton?!

7 minutes ago, mrbluesky said:

Probably on 4 times more than Palmer

I'd imagine that at his age and no longer being an international and not having signed from Spurs who'd bought him from 9 million that he won't be able to demand the same wages as he used to. He did trigger a 1 year extension to his Villa deal (i think due to games player last season), but i imagine he's looking for a 2 year deal and if we can offer that (even on lower wages) then he'd probably be tempted.

Some quotes about him recently from villa fans:

Mart OX: Well done Hutts. I would personally like to apologise to you. I slated you last season, however I am sorry. You are a gent, a scholar and a gutsy man. You stood up to adversity and drove through it. Well done and thanks for your service.

Nick Wilson: Treated poorly by Lambert with the whole Bomb Squad debacle, came back and has knuckled down. His work ethic is the best in the entire squad. He will be setting a very high bar in terms of work ethic with Bree and De Laet.

Michael Darbyshire: Gives 100% and deserves a new contract. Bree will have his day. But for now experience is what is needed to build this new team.

Martin Harrison: He was on the dumping pile a couple of years ago with no hope and looked like he wouldn't play for us again. Now I think he is one who puts in 110% effort each game I've seen him play. Has a few blips here and there but deserves a new deal.

Graham Young: I have been one of the many critics of Hutton but since he has had serious competition for his place his performances have improved markedly. Effort has never been in question. I reckon he should be offered another contract.

Ram Kamboz: Think every single player in that squad should be looking up to him as he leads by example.

Brian Cook: He does deserve it, he has been brilliant the last few games. Always gives 100% when he plays and that's what I admire.

Pete Loveridge: It's a shame half our squad haven't put in the effort he has. Maybe we'd not be where we are. Glad hes signing.

Graham Woodward: Well deserved. Hutts is a good honest old style full back.

Daniel Boden: Good, hopefully he appreciates the fortunate position he is in and how lucky he is to play football on a daily basis, hope the rest follow his example.

Shane Matthews: Hes a trier and it shows... Can see the effort he's putting in. Set the bar now. Keep it up. VTID.

Darren Lee Hamilton: Has always gave his best. His work rate is something Grealish should look at!!!

Emma Matthews: He may not be a goal scorer and sometimes he can slack a bit but he shows passion and he tries so hard. He fights and I love the man. I hope he stays.

Sean Porter: Well done Hutton. Hard-core player. May not be the best, but plays with his heart.

Neil Avfc Walker: Well deserved. Always puts a shift in when others can't be bothered.

Shaiby Ahmed: Great news. Deserves it. One of the few who play for the badge. Pure commitment and love his passion. Top man.

Joe Harris: Hutton fights for shirt. When Lambert put him out on loan Hutton worked hard to stay fit, and got his head down. Fair play.

Ad Urbz Kelleher: He's an old fashioned defender and puts 100%.

Nick Higginson : Top professional.

Andy Milford: Hutton for captain anyone?

1 hour ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

You mean the improved league position, signing Rhodes, Fletcher, Abdi, McMannaman etc who were all players we were all well excited over before they signed? Getting in cover for left back having had no left backs in the close season and not having to sell a player we wanted for over 3 years? That failed recruitment policy? Fekk me, some people need to get a grip.

The only issues with last year's recruitment was failure to tie down a centre half before the season started and not clearing out some dead wood

Everything else that went wrong in our best season in 20 years was down to injuries, players flouncing off about playing and poor form/tactics. The fact people keep saying "Same old Wednesday" or "We got all our transfers wrong" is so infuriating. Do you people not remember the wonder signings of Jeffers and co or the 15 years of downward spiral losing any player that was able to kick a football?

We've taken action to address the injuries, lets hope it works. Fit player will lead to form so hopefully that solves that issue. The FF improved contract and Boyd as an option now hopefully solves the flounces.

If we get a centre half or two in that don't get bullied and keep Lee, Abdi, Hooper, FF and Rhodes fit for a season with a repeat of our last 3 seasons of defensive records will see us challenge for top 2.

We're improving and taking actions on all fronts, moving forward and signing players we couldn't dream of only 3 years ago. Cheer up.

Players Carlos has spent money on...

Squad players:

Fox

Abdi

Winnall

Jones

Reach

Rhodes

around £20m + on players that aren't even guaranteed starters. 

Nevermind your McGugan, Joao, Matias who can't even get in the squad what so ever. 

Carlos' recruitment has been poor and I don't want him to repeat the same mistakes. 

Reach played nearly every game, Rhodes is proven to be the best Championship striker money can buy, Winnall is up there too in terms of goals at this level. Abdi is pure class but dogged with injuries, which he'd never had before we signed him. Fox looked very good in all but one game last season. Our away points picked up from <1pt per game to 2pt per game once Jones was added to the starting 11. All very good signings for a squad pushing for promotion.

McGugan was probabaly signed by Chansiri after the fans demanded it, I don't think we'll ever know but he's not a Carols player is he? Joao looked a world beater until he lost his magic tooth and Mathias struggled to settle in a new country and had injuries but he's still a quality player who will score lots of goals either for us or someone else.

You also forgot Hunt, Fletcher, Hooper, Bannan, Wallace and FF who I think we can all agree are top notch signings that have moved us from fighting relegation to fighting for promotion and half of them were on frees, same goes for Boyd I'd say.

I'll give you Sougou, Price and Wiggins and Urby as fluffed squad players but that's under a million in transfer fees and Wiggins and Urby were signd after Helan retired at the end of a transfer window.

Would you rather have our current squad or Dielna, Taylor-Fletcher, Bus and May from Gray's Era or Bothroyd, Pecnik and Lita from Jones'?

3 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

I know i shouldn't but I can't help thinking what type of players we would be signing if we where in them Premiership. Looking at Huddersfield they are making some exciting signings and we are linked with crap like Hutton. Don't get me wrong I think Boyd is a very decent signing but Hutton just isn't what we need imo. 

Huddersfield are in the Premier League chap...we aren't!

47 minutes ago, 1993swfc said:

Players Carlos has spent money on...

Squad players:

Fox

Abdi

Winnall

Jones

Reach

Rhodes

around £20m + on players that aren't even guaranteed starters. 

Nevermind your McGugan, Joao, Matias who can't even get in the squad what so ever. 

Carlos' recruitment has been poor and I don't want him to repeat the same mistakes. 

Football's a squad game and that's the way we play.  2 players for each position 

6 players for 20m in this day and age isn't bad 

Just now, Rogers said:

Football's a squad game and that's the way we play.  2 players for each position 

You seriously can't believe a club in this division can continually spend £20m on squad players and that's sustainable. We will end up in the serious FFP trouble if anyone believes that. 

1 minute ago, Rogers said:

Especially when 3 of those are from premier league clubs, and 2 of whom played 30+ games in that league the season before.

Winnall was banging in goals left and right in our league and Reach was a promising young player.

Just now, 1993swfc said:

You seriously can't believe a club in this division can continually spend £20m on squad players and that's sustainable. We will end up in the serious FFP trouble if anyone believes that. 

Who's doing it continually?

Just now, cookeh said:

Who's doing it continually?

In 2 years we have spent over £30m in transfer fees.

Westwood, Loovens, Lees, Lee and Hutchinson (5 key starters) arrived when we had no money. 

Wallace, Bannan, Fletcher also been good free transfers who all regularly start. 

Reach, Nando, Hooper, Pudil, and Hunt are the only real first team players we have spent money on. 

Leaving over £15m plus wasted on nothing other than squad players. 

Birmingham Mail...........

Sheffield Wednesday have been linked with a shock move for Aston Villa full-back Alan Hutton.

The Sun report that the Hillsborough club hope to to agree a fee with Villa and speak to Hutton as soon as today.

The 32-year-old triggered a 12-month contract extension in March, set to keep him at the club until the summer of 2018.

Hutton has experienced vastly fluctuating fortunes since joining Villa from Tottenham in 2011, but last season stood firm as a key figure, making 36 appearances for Steve Bruce's side.

The Scot is firmly first-choice at right-back and won plaudits among fans in the later weeks and months of the season.

Convicing Villa to sell to a promotion rival may prove a difficult task for Wednesday, after owner Tony Xia's steadfast resolve in refusing to allow Joe Bennett to join the Owls last year.

39 minutes ago, 1993swfc said:

In 2 years we have spent over £30m in transfer fees.

Westwood, Loovens, Lees, Lee and Hutchinson (5 key starters) arrived when we had no money. 

Wallace, Bannan, Fletcher also been good free transfers who all regularly start. 

Reach, Nando, Hooper, Pudil, and Hunt are the only real first team players we have spent money on. 

Leaving over £15m plus wasted on nothing other than squad players. 

So, you've included Rhodes fee, but left him out of 'first team players' despite him playing every single league game since he signed. That gives you 5m of 'wasted' on squad.

I shouldn't have to tell you that football is a squad game, and only having a decent 11 won't get you very far, injuries, drops in form and just plain old exhaustion will see to that. We've transformed the squad since CC (and DC) took over. We've contained our spending to about 10m a year to keep us the right side of FFP and largely bought Premier League players.

I've slapped a list in case you need reminding of some of the deals we've done. The vast majority have been absolute bargains.

2017/2018 = 10m
10m - Rhodes: probably the best championship striker money can buy. Will get us promoted if we can make use of his talents.
Free - Boyd: Premier League winger with 36 games in that league last season.
2016/2017 = 11m+

5m - Reach: Promising young winger, probably overpaid, but English players cost more.

3m - Abdi: Premier League midfielder with 32 games in that league the season before we signed him.

2m - Hunt: Premier League fullback. Probably too much money, but did a job for use the season before on loan.

700k - Fox: Young fullback to play backup.

500k - Winnall: 11 goals in half a season at Barnsley. Bargain buy.
Free - Fletcher: Premier League striker with 16 games and 12 in Ligue 1 the season before we signed him.
Free - Kean: Back up keeper.
Free - Sasso: Good enough back up defender.
Free - Urby: AC Milan player, to fill if needed after Helan quit.

Unknown - Jones: Premier League midfielder with 36 games in 2014/15. Someone made up a fee of £2m.

Unknown - Pudil: PL player. Did great for us the year before. No info on the actual fee, someone made up £2m around the time.

2015/2016 = 13m

3.5m - Forestieri: Absolute bargain.

3m - Hooper: Bargain.

2.5m - Matais: Has quality, but been blighted by injury. Hopefully new medical staff solves that.
2.5m - Joao: Has quality. Taking time to adjust to English footballs, but could still prove a bargain.

800k - Wiggins: Panic buy when Helan quit.

300k - McGugan: Basically bought by Chansiri as a token to the fans.

Free - Bannan: Premier League midfielder with 85 games to his name in that league. Bit of a coup to get him, especially for free.

Free - Wallace: Premier League winger, 15 games the season before we signed him.
Free - Sougou: Ligue 1 winger. Surprisingly bad.
Free - Lachmann: Weird one.
Free - Price: Back up keeper.

Edited by cookeh

12 minutes ago, cookeh said:

not knocking this post but just to point out Helan only quit last September/October. Wiggins had signed for us and left for Bournemouth way before Helan left for ISIS
Disclaimer: Helan probably didn't leave for ISIS

Edited by martyn8484

Would this make Hutton available?? 

Chelsea could be willing to loan talented right-back Ola Aina to Hull that could speed up Ahmed Elmohamady's transfer to Aston Villa.

Steve Bruce is a keen admirer of the Egypt international and will be hoping to get a deal across the line before the start of the season.

21 minutes ago, cookeh said:

So, you've included Rhodes fee, but left him out of 'first team players' despite him playing every single league game since he signed. That gives you 5m of 'wasted' on squad.

I shouldn't have to tell you that football is a squad game, and only having a decent 11 won't get you very far, injuries, drops in form and just plain old exhaustion will see to that. We've transformed the squad since CC (and DC) took over. We've contained our spending to about 10m a year to keep us the right side of FFP and largely bought Premier League players.

I've slapped a list in case you need reminding of some of the deals we've done. The vast majority have been absolute bargains.

2017/2018 = 10m
10m - Rhodes: probably the best championship striker money can buy. Will get us promoted if we can make use of his talents.
Free - Boyd: Premier League winger with 36 games in that league last season.
2016/2017 = 11m+

5m - Reach: Promising young winger, probably overpaid, but English players cost more.

3m - Abdi: Premier League midfielder with 32 games in that league the season before we signed him.

2m - Hunt: Premier League fullback. Probably too much money, but did a job for use the season before on loan.

700k - Fox: Young fullback to play backup.

500k - Winnall: 11 goals in half a season at Barnsley. Bargain buy.
Free - Fletcher: Premier League striker with 16 games and 12 in Ligue 1 the season before we signed him.
Free - Kean: Back up keeper.
Free - Sasso: Good enough back up defender.
Free - Urby: AC Milan player, to fill if needed after Helan quit.

Unknown - Jones: Premier League midfielder with 36 games in 2014/15. Someone made up a fee of £2m.

Unknown - Pudil: PL player. Did great for us the year before. No info on the actual fee, someone made up £2m around the time.

2015/2016 = 13m

3.5m - Forestieri: Absolute bargain.

3m - Hooper: Bargain.

2.5m - Matais: Has quality, but been blighted by injury. Hopefully new medical staff solves that.
2.5m - Joao: Has quality. Taking time to adjust to English footballs, but could still prove a bargain.

300k - McGugan: Basically bought by Chansiri as a token to the fans.

Free - Bannan: Premier League midfielder with 85 games to his name in that league. Bit of a coup to get him, especially for free.

Free - Wallace: Premier League winger, 15 games the season before we signed him.
Free - Sougou: Ligue 1 winger. Surprisingly bad.
Free - Lachmann: Weird one.
Free - Price: Back up keeper.

But yet again the point is missed majority of our top players and starters cost nothing. 

Rhodes was benched for our best spell of the season. Hasn't been a key player for the money we spent. 

We have spent £30m on players and the only ones who start are Forestieri, Reach, Hooper, Hunt (who has never played in the premier league) and Pudil. 

The core spine of our team, Westwood, Lees, Loovens, Hutchinson and Lee were all brought in before we spent any money. 

So in terms of players brought in on transfer fees there's only reallt Hooper, Nando, Pudil and Hunt that are probably guaranteed starters. That's not good enough how ever you want to paint it

5 hours ago, scilly owl said:

Don't know too much about him, but I went and saw Villa play Manchester City in their relegation season (0-0) and I can remember thinking that he was a bog standard defender.

Surely we can do better than that.

So he kept a clean sheet in the prem against man city but we should expect better than that? 

The fact isnt as such whether he is good enough, more that hes 32 and we really dont need anymore slow players over the age of 30. 

On reflection Boyd is a step up on Wallace, so if used correctly that should be a good signing. He should be the one and only 30+ aged player we sign this summer though. Probably one of the reasons we tired so much quicker against Huddersfield 

Edited by james o connor