Alan Hutton?!

24 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

I know i shouldn't but I can't help thinking what type of players we would be signing if we where in them Premiership. Looking at Huddersfield they are making some exciting signings and we are linked with crap like Hutton. Don't get me wrong I think Boyd is a very decent signing but Hutton just isn't what we need imo. 

To be fair, for every Hutton we are linked with, we are also linked with players like Bartley, who would be an excellent signing.

38 minutes ago, s29wfc said:

I'm a bit confused seeing quotes like 'hes no better than we already have'. I understand people not wanting him but the guy has more than 150 premier league appearances and over 50 international caps. To say hes no better than weve got is abit baffling. How many prem appearances have Hunt and Palmer got??

Ched Evans has made more Premier League appearances than Rhodes and Forestieri combined, should we have signed him to replace them?

4 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Ched Evans has made more Premier League appearances than Rhodes and Forestieri combined, should we have signed him to replace them?

I think it's just a tad different comparing Evans' 16 premier league games (the last one being a whole 9 years ago) to 151 games that Hutton has racked up with the last one being the season before last... don't you?

8 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

To be fair, for every Hutton we are linked with, we are also linked with players like Bartley, who would be an excellent signing.

Fair point. I guess the Hutton one is more of a worry with Nixon saying it. As far as I know the Bartley one (would love him here) was just from someone posting it on here. 

43 minutes ago, s29wfc said:

I'm a bit confused seeing quotes like 'hes no better than we already have'. I understand people not wanting him but the guy has more than 150 premier league appearances and over 50 international caps. To say hes no better than weve got is abit baffling. How many prem appearances have Hunt and Palmer got??

What sort of logic is that? Shola Ameobi has 300+ appearances in the premier league and plays in league 2 for Notts county? Should we sign him? 

Hutton was hardly a star for a poor villa side last year. Surely if he was any good they would be reluctant to sell to a potential rival. 

wasn't having a pop at you to be fair it was people further down and certain people on here in general

I'm just hoping villa are using the local press to fuel interest to get him out

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

Fair point. I guess the Hutton one is more of a worry with Nixon saying it. As far as I know the Bartley one (would love him here) was just from someone posting it on here. 

I'm hoping the Hutton story is nonsense and the Bartley one has some truth! lol

Agreed, Nixon has a decent hit rate so there is a decent chance Hutton is on our radar. Not a signing I'd be best pleased with, especially given Hunt's improvement in the second half of last season, but I trust Carlos. Wouldn't susprise me if we did sign Hutton that he became this season's Urby!

1 minute ago, 1993swfc said:

What sort of logic is that? Shola Ameobi has 300+ appearances in the premier league and plays in league 2 for Notts county? Should we sign him? 

Hutton was hardly a star for a poor villa side last year. Surely if he was any good they would be reluctant to sell to a potential rival. 

I beg to differ on that, Apparantley he was the stand out player for Villa from Xmas onwards. And also how do you know that Villa won't rebuff our approach for him?They haven't even give us permission /accepted a bid as of yet.

Just now, s29wfc said:

I beg to differ on that, Apparantley he was the stand out player for Villa from Xmas onwards. And also how do you know that Villa won't rebuff our approach for him?They haven't even give us permission /accepted a bid as of yet.

Apparently to who? They spent good money on Bree last season so I doubt they're going to be intent on keeping a 32 year old on premier league wages. He's hardly set the world alight at Villa or even at Bolton or forest in this league. 

Hes 33 this year, going to have a real ageing squad if we don't go up in a few years. We can't even shift McGugan whose 27 because of the wages we pay. 

A solid reliable 7/10 player.

Very dependable and able to stick with the game plan.

Was very fast but lost a bit of pace with age, however is still no slouch.

Good in the air and has a decent delivery.

Not my words but come from someone who is involved in the game in the Midlands region.

Edited by Owlinmad

Not a bad player a decade ago.... Now no way, old slow and won't get near villa's first team and were top 4 and a better side. I suppose wouldn't be a bad signing if your mid table division 1, so would fit in lovely down the lane lol

Edited by shezzas left peg

1 minute ago, Owlinmad said:

A solid reliable 7/10 player.

Very dependable and able to stick with the game plan.

Was very fast but lost a bit of pace with age, however is still no slouch.

Good in the air and has a decent delivery.

You could be talking about Hunt there.Apartfrm the bit about being good in the air.

57 minutes ago, 1993swfc said:

Big wages. Costing us a fee. No better than what we have. 32. 

Similar recruitment to last season it's looking like... and that worked so well last year. 

You mean the improved league position, signing Rhodes, Fletcher, Abdi, McMannaman etc who were all players we were all well excited over before they signed? Getting in cover for left back having had no left backs in the close season and not having to sell a player we wanted for over 3 years? That failed recruitment policy? Fekk me, some people need to get a grip.

The only issues with last year's recruitment was failure to tie down a centre half before the season started and not clearing out some dead wood

Everything else that went wrong in our best season in 20 years was down to injuries, players flouncing off about playing and poor form/tactics. The fact people keep saying "Same old Wednesday" or "We got all our transfers wrong" is so infuriating. Do you people not remember the wonder signings of Jeffers and co or the 15 years of downward spiral losing any player that was able to kick a football?

We've taken action to address the injuries, lets hope it works. Fit player will lead to form so hopefully that solves that issue. The FF improved contract and Boyd as an option now hopefully solves the flounces.

If we get a centre half or two in that don't get bullied and keep Lee, Abdi, Hooper, FF and Rhodes fit for a season with a repeat of our last 3 seasons of defensive records will see us challenge for top 2.

We're improving and taking actions on all fronts, moving forward and signing players we couldn't dream of only 3 years ago. Cheer up.

Just now, 1993swfc said:

Apparently to who? They spent good money on Bree last season so I doubt they're going to be intent on keeping a 32 year old on premier league wages. He's hardly set the world alight at Villa or even at Bolton or forest in this league. 

Hes 33 this year, going to have a real ageing squad if we don't go up in a few years. We can't even shift McGugan whose 27 because of the wages we pay. 

Read this mornings birmingham mail pal.

Also check Twitter and read some Villa fan's views on last seasons performances. They are probably a better judgement seeing as they saw him week in week out rather than a selection of our fans who wouldn't have.