Alan Hutton?!

He's arguably got better pedigree than both Hunt and Palmer so in a sense it's another example of bringing in better than we've currently got in a certain position which has to be the remit for us now.

Personally with all the overreaction on here I still feel what's potentially going to cost us this season is the frustrated and tetchy mood of the fan base. Is it really 2 or 3 years or so since we were signing the likes of Olifinjana, McPhail, Bothroyd, Taylor-Fletcher et al because you'd be forgiven for thinking that we're signing players of that ilk again after reading some of the opinions on here :duntmatter:

Edited by Great Big Galaa

1 hour ago, 1993swfc said:

But yet again the point is missed majority of our top players and starters cost nothing. 

Rhodes was benched for our best spell of the season. Hasn't been a key player for the money we spent. 

We have spent £30m on players and the only ones who start are Forestieri, Reach, Hooper, Hunt (who has never played in the premier league) and Pudil. 

The core spine of our team, Westwood, Lees, Loovens, Hutchinson and Lee were all brought in before we spent any money. 

So in terms of players brought in on transfer fees there's only reallt Hooper, Nando, Pudil and Hunt that are probably guaranteed starters. That's not good enough how ever you want to paint it

But you're missing hte point. You're focussed entirely on "starters", when succeeding in a league isn't about 11 starters, it's about a squad.

We had nothing squad-wise. Dielna, Zayatte, Mattock, Coke, McCabe, Maghoma, Taylor-Fletcher, Maguire, Madine.. They weren't enough for challenging for promotion, we all know it.

Westwood, Lees, Looven, Palmer, Hutch, Lee and Nuhiu. Those 7 are the only ones to survive the squad improvement when Carlos arrived. He couldn't just turn up and buy 4 players, then maybe improve on a couple of the 7 and succeed. It wouldn't have worked. We needed to build a squad, so that's what we set about doing.

The defense was our strongest area, so we bought in Wallace, Sougou and Matais for the wings, Hooper, Forestieri and Joao up top and filled out with Bannan, plus Hunt and Pudil on loan. It left us with a decent 11, but very little depth. We got pretty lucky with injuries.. 12 players played over 35 games, a number that dropped to just 8 last season.

At the start of last season we tried to flesh out that bare bones of quality that we had. Hunt and Pudil came on board permantently. Reach to replace Sougou out wide, Fletcher moving in ahead of Joao up front. Then Jones and Abdi to compete with Lee and Bannan in the middle.

We've got to a point now where we have competition all across the board, which is what a club should have. We didn't have that this time a year ago or two years ago. Those who aren't starting push the starters to perform better and we needed to build a squad so that that happened.

Last season we did suffer a lot with injuries. We lost Hooper, Lees, Loovens, Matais, Abdi and Hutch for long periods. The season before we couldn't have coped with losing that many first team players and our season would have been shattered. Instead we finished higher, because we had the depth. You might not say these players bought with 'wasted' money are in your starting 11 when everyone's fit, but everyone is not fit all the time.

Right now we're in a good place. We have good competition everywhere except centerback.. we have fantastic competition in some positions, and we will once again be there challenging for promotion. But we'll be doing it because of the squad, not because of the best 11 if everyone's fit.

5 minutes ago, cookeh said:

But you're missing hte point. You're focussed entirely on "starters", when succeeding in a league isn't about 11 starters, it's about a squad.

We had nothing squad-wise. Dielna, Zayatte, Mattock, Coke, McCabe, Maghoma, Taylor-Fletcher, Maguire, Madine.. They weren't enough for challenging for promotion, we all know it.

Westwood, Lees, Looven, Palmer, Hutch, Lee and Nuhiu. Those 7 are the only ones to survive the squad improvement when Carlos arrived. He couldn't just turn up and buy 4 players, then maybe improve on a couple of the 7 and succeed. It wouldn't have worked. We needed to build a squad, so that's what we set about doing.

The defense was our strongest area, so we bought in Wallace, Sougou and Matais for the wings, Hooper, Forestieri and Joao up top and filled out with Bannan, plus Hunt and Pudil on loan. It left us with a decent 11, but very little depth. We got pretty lucky with injuries.. 12 players played over 35 games, a number that dropped to just 8 last season.

At the start of last season we tried to flesh out that bare bones of quality that we had. Hunt and Pudil came on board permantently. Reach to replace Sougou out wide, Fletcher moving in ahead of Joao up front. Then Jones and Abdi to compete with Lee and Bannan in the middle.

We've got to a point now where we have competition all across the board, which is what a club should have. We didn't have that this time a year ago or two years ago. Those who aren't starting push the starters to perform better and we needed to build a squad so that that happened.

Last season we did suffer a lot with injuries. We lost Hooper, Lees, Loovens, Matais, Abdi and Hutch for long periods. The season before we couldn't have coped with losing that many first team players and our season would have been shattered. Instead we finished higher, because we had the depth. You might not say these players bought with 'wasted' money are in your starting 11 when everyone's fit, but everyone is not fit all the time.

Right now we're in a good place. We have good competition everywhere except centerback.. we have fantastic competition in some positions, and we will once again be there challenging for promotion. But we'll be doing it because of the squad, not because of the best 11 if everyone's fit.

Yes I am focused on starters because we aren't brining in players who are better than what we currently have and have spent a lot of money doing so. 

16 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

He's arguably got better pedigree than both Hunt and Palmer so in a sense it's another example of bringing in better than we've currently got in a certain position which has to be the remit for us now.

Personally with all the overreaction on here I still feel what's potentially going to cost us this season is the frustrated and tetchy mood of the fan base. Is it really 2 or 3 years or so since we were signing the likes of Olifinjana, McPhail, Bothroyd, Taylor-Fletcher et al because you'd be forgiven for thinking that we're signing players of that ilk again after reading some of the opinions on here :duntmatter:

Olifinjana, McPhail, Bothroyd, Taylor-Fletcher? You mean players in their 30s who played at the highest level but were deemed surplus to requirements by their previous clubs.

4 minutes ago, 1993swfc said:

Yes I am focused on starters because we aren't brining in players who are better than what we currently have and have spent a lot of money doing so. 

But... we did. We just didn't replace starters, relegating them to reserves.

Bannan and Lee haven't been pushed down the pecking order because we can't realistically sign players who are capable of that. Abdi and Jones are as good players as we could get in that position and so we got them. If Abdi had been fit I imagine he would have pushed Bannan or Lee out of the side, but he wasnt. However, Jones and Abdi are improvements on McGugan and Melo. The squad improved. We bought better than we had.

Maguire > Wallace and Boyd
Maghoma > Forestieri and Reach
Mattock > Pudil and Fox
Buxton > Hunt

Up front, we had May and Madine..
We bought Hooper and Joao..
Then we bought Fletcher, Winnall and Rhodes.

How can you say we're not buying improvements with a straight face?

1 minute ago, chirpyowl said:

Olifinjana, McPhail, Bothroyd, Taylor-Fletcher? You mean players in their 30s who played at the highest level but were deemed surplus to requirements by their previous clubs.

or.. Players who were utterly spent and couldn't run any more?  ;)

21 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Bannan and Lee haven't been pushed down the pecking order because we can't realistically sign players who are capable of that. Abdi and Jones are as good players as we could get in that position and so we got them. If Abdi had been fit I imagine he would have pushed Bannan or Lee out of the side, but he wasnt. However, Jones and Abdi are improvements on McGugan and Melo. The squad improved. We bought better than we had.

Mattock > Pudil and Fox
Buxton > Hunt

Money gives ideas of grandiosity amongst some fans, we finished 6 th and 4th last 2 seasons so we must be doing something right.

26 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Mattock > Pudil and Fox
Buxton > Hunt

Why on earth are you waffling on about replacements to 2014-2015?!

We made a huge improvement in the 2015 transfer window of course. But why does that have to do with the here and now 2 years on? 

Am I suppose to be happy with any player from now till the end of time because they're not Claude Dielna or Gary Taylor Fletcher? Jesus. 

5 hours ago, cookeh said:

I'd imagine that at his age and no longer being an international and not having signed from Spurs who'd bought him from 9 million that he won't be able to demand the same wages as he used to. He did trigger a 1 year extension to his Villa deal (i think due to games player last season), but i imagine he's looking for a 2 year deal and if we can offer that (even on lower wages) then he'd probably be tempted.

Some quotes about him recently from villa fans:

Mart OX: Well done Hutts. I would personally like to apologise to you. I slated you last season, however I am sorry. You are a gent, a scholar and a gutsy man. You stood up to adversity and drove through it. Well done and thanks for your service.

Nick Wilson: Treated poorly by Lambert with the whole Bomb Squad debacle, came back and has knuckled down. His work ethic is the best in the entire squad. He will be setting a very high bar in terms of work ethic with Bree and De Laet.

Michael Darbyshire: Gives 100% and deserves a new contract. Bree will have his day. But for now experience is what is needed to build this new team.

Martin Harrison: He was on the dumping pile a couple of years ago with no hope and looked like he wouldn't play for us again. Now I think he is one who puts in 110% effort each game I've seen him play. Has a few blips here and there but deserves a new deal.

Graham Young: I have been one of the many critics of Hutton but since he has had serious competition for his place his performances have improved markedly. Effort has never been in question. I reckon he should be offered another contract.

Ram Kamboz: Think every single player in that squad should be looking up to him as he leads by example.

Brian Cook: He does deserve it, he has been brilliant the last few games. Always gives 100% when he plays and that's what I admire.

Pete Loveridge: It's a shame half our squad haven't put in the effort he has. Maybe we'd not be where we are. Glad hes signing.

Graham Woodward: Well deserved. Hutts is a good honest old style full back.

Daniel Boden: Good, hopefully he appreciates the fortunate position he is in and how lucky he is to play football on a daily basis, hope the rest follow his example.

Shane Matthews: Hes a trier and it shows... Can see the effort he's putting in. Set the bar now. Keep it up. VTID.

Darren Lee Hamilton: Has always gave his best. His work rate is something Grealish should look at!!!

Emma Matthews: He may not be a goal scorer and sometimes he can slack a bit but he shows passion and he tries so hard. He fights and I love the man. I hope he stays.

Sean Porter: Well done Hutton. Hard-core player. May not be the best, but plays with his heart.

Neil Avfc Walker: Well deserved. Always puts a shift in when others can't be bothered.

Shaiby Ahmed: Great news. Deserves it. One of the few who play for the badge. Pure commitment and love his passion. Top man.

Joe Harris: Hutton fights for shirt. When Lambert put him out on loan Hutton worked hard to stay fit, and got his head down. Fair play.

Ad Urbz Kelleher: He's an old fashioned defender and puts 100%.

Nick Higginson : Top professional.

Andy Milford: Hutton for captain anyone?

And yet pretty much most on here think hutton would be a car crash waiting to happen. Think people are demanding too much, hutton is a decent championship level full back, yes he has his faults as all do at this level but is definitely an improvement on palmer. 

50 minutes ago, chirpyowl said:

McFail.  He didn't even have the legs to go up and take the corners. :laugh:

Oh there can't be owt in this... can there?

As many know I'm a great advocate of young hungry signings and have fears over an aging squad... but I can put that aside for signings such as Boyd which are on a free and is an individual that's repeatedly shown drive and desire to perform at whatever level he's at. But Alan Hutton? Alan freakin' Hutton? He's old, he's a waster... he'd be such an unambitious signing, on large wages... it'd be the epitome of a 'bad signing'. He's the sort of signing Derby would make and I'd giggle at them for, the definition of short-term thinking with very little thought involved in the short-termedness

Hoping this is just BS paper talk 

Guest gizowl

Enough over 30s now,lets balance this out now with some mid 20s age group,Gunter at Reading has a 1million pound release clause apparently.