Kyle Bartley

18 minutes ago, Owlinmad said:

Leeds were quoted £7.5 million upwards when they enquired about a permanent move.

6 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

A lot of money, think he only has 12 months on his contract now - maybe the £7.5m was last summer hence the season long loan deal?

It was Middlesbrough that were quoted £7.5million as Swansea's asking price, a couple of days ago. I don't think he wants to move back to Leeds without Monk there? Some reports suggested Swansea want to keep him, to assess him over the pre-season after his impressive form last season.

Middlesbrough would be clear favourites, if they're willing to meet that asking price? But they have got plenty of other players to bring in and to shift out too.

Edited by Mr. Wednesday

1 minute ago, Mr. Wednesday said:

It was Middlesbrough that were quoted £7.5million as Swansea's asking price, a couple of days ago. I don't think he wants to move back to Leeds without Monk there. Middlesbrough would be clear favourites, if they're willing to meet that asking price? But they have got plenty of other players to bring in and to shift out too.

That's a big price for a player who isn't part of Swansea's plans (or at least he wasn't with being shipped out on loan at 26 years old) and in the final year of his contract.

I guess that would be Swansea's opening gambit, and he's go for closer to 4-5m?

If and it's a big IF we did sell Tom Lee's we would have to go out and purchase someone with a similar quality to him, I do not think Hanley has ever been considered one of the best CB's for his on the ball abilities, having seen him play a few times for Blackburn and Scotland I personally have never been convinced by him. Bartley I confess I have not seen enough of as to form a proper judgement, unless we are playing Leeds I try to stay away from watching their games as their style of football last year bored me senseless so I can not say I've seen much of him. From what I remember he appeared the more composed CB of the pairing they had last year and the more comfortable of the two on the ball. It appears on paper his style of play would fit into our system as anyone who watched us last year could clearly see CC want's to build from the back and any CB has to be able to pick a pass rather than a more traditional English CB (Kick it and head it) type. However at 7.5 mill I would imagine we need to shift players before bringing others in to free up wages and balance the books, it would lead me to think this is a bit of business that if he is still available come the closing stages of the window we will go in for as I think it is evident we need to trim the side in other areas to make room for positions of need. If he only has 12 months left on his deal a bid of 5 Mill should test their resolve. Boyd was fantastic for a free transfer but I can not see us dropping the sort of money quoted by some on here without shifting others out first with the specter of FFP looming, I do not think at this point it matters how deep DC pockets are. This summer I think we will begin that process of starting to live a bit more within our means and with our swollen squad that undoubtedly means shifting players in other areas before investing in areas of priority. Whether that means taking a loss on certain players (Mcgugan, Joao, Matias, Nuhiu,Palmer all been mentioned) or selling off one maybe two of our team (FF Lee's Winnall again all mentioned) i'm not sure. Either way it should be an interesting summer.  

Just now, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

That's a big price for a player who isn't part of Swansea's plans (or at least he wasn't with being shipped out on loan at 26 years old) and in the final year of his contract.

I guess that would be Swansea's opening gambit, and he's go for closer to 4-5m?

It could be but some reports suggest they rate him and want to assess him over the summer. But his value has risen considerably after last season. He looked like one of the top centre backs in the division. He should be sought after, which might explain the high price but it isn't so high when you compare the prices of some other Championship players.

15 hours ago, JOHNHARKES said:

Bid gone in 5.5m apparently. Good source who worked at Swansea. Thoughts?

Good player, was fantastic for L***s last season. would prefer him to Keogh if im honest 

7 hours ago, Owl999 said:

Can't help thinking that Lees is leaving, Burnley being the most likely place.

Either Lees or Bartley are on Burnley's radar as understudy to first-choice pair Ben Mee/James Tarkowski.

They could afford BOTH with £31 million burning a hole in their pocket after selling Keane.

Edited by ReluctantNicko

Why are people contemplating the sale of the best defender in the league? Regardless of who we get in to replace Lees, he wont be as good as Lees. We all moan about a lack of progression, is it progressive to sell your best assets? If we're seriously going to be challanging next season, we need to add to the squad, not replace key players with good players.

1 minute ago, 0wl18 said:

Why are people contemplating the sale of the best defender in the league? Regardless of who we get in to replace Lees, he wont be as good as Lees. We all moan about a lack of progression, is it progressive to sell your best assets? If we're seriously going to be challanging next season, we need to add to the squad, not replace key players with good players.

Mate, Tom Lees is not the best defender in the championship I'm sorry.

If we get Bartley does this change the kind of midfield general we're looking for?  Bartley can push forwards and distribute as well as defend so if we're looking for a midfield general do we still need someone who's also a holding player or someone who presses and wins the ball up the pitch?  

5 minutes ago, s29wfc said:

Mate, Tom Lees is not the best defender in the championship I'm sorry.

Maybe true but he's still very good and having Lees and Hutch competing for that right side can only be a good thing.  The papers and daft football sites always talk about Lees and Westwood and Nando every window and there's never any substance so hopefully this is all just them looking for traffic. 

1 hour ago, matt_johno43 said:

If and it's a big IF we did sell Tom Lee's we would have to go out and purchase someone with a similar quality to him, I do not think Hanley has ever been considered one of the best CB's for his on the ball abilities, having seen him play a few times for Blackburn and Scotland I personally have never been convinced by him. Bartley I confess I have not seen enough of as to form a proper judgement, unless we are playing Leeds I try to stay away from watching their games as their style of football last year bored me senseless so I can not say I've seen much of him. From what I remember he appeared the more composed CB of the pairing they had last year and the more comfortable of the two on the ball. It appears on paper his style of play would fit into our system as anyone who watched us last year could clearly see CC want's to build from the back and any CB has to be able to pick a pass rather than a more traditional English CB (Kick it and head it) type. However at 7.5 mill I would imagine we need to shift players before bringing others in to free up wages and balance the books, it would lead me to think this is a bit of business that if he is still available come the closing stages of the window we will go in for as I think it is evident we need to trim the side in other areas to make room for positions of need. If he only has 12 months left on his deal a bid of 5 Mill should test their resolve. Boyd was fantastic for a free transfer but I can not see us dropping the sort of money quoted by some on here without shifting others out first with the specter of FFP looming, I do not think at this point it matters how deep DC pockets are. This summer I think we will begin that process of starting to live a bit more within our means and with our swollen squad that undoubtedly means shifting players in other areas before investing in areas of priority. Whether that means taking a loss on certain players (Mcgugan, Joao, Matias, Nuhiu,Palmer all been mentioned) or selling off one maybe two of our team (FF Lee's Winnall again all mentioned) i'm not sure. Either way it should be an interesting summer.  

Thing is sasso has gone along with Urby and a few others, that may free up a few quid on wages remove 1/2 others on big money that don't play and there you go. 

3 hours ago, TINKERBELL said:

Pontus Janssen would be a  good signing 

He would be but Kyle Bartley seems slightly better to me. Plus Jansson would probably be more expensive after joining Leeds not long ago.

Bartley is better on the ball and in the air and he's a leader, exactly the sort of centre back we need to partner Lees. I reckon if we got Bartley,

him and Lees would become the best centre back partnership in the Championship.