Kyle Bartley

Just now, Mr. Wednesday said:

I hope not as Bartley is a significantly better player

So it would seem by the reaction on here and quotes of either not wanting to sell him or valued in excess of 7m. 

Cant say I know much about him. What side does he play? 

7 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

So it would seem by the reaction on here and quotes of either not wanting to sell him or valued in excess of 7m. 

Cant say I know much about him. What side does he play? 

He can play on the left and right side of centre defence, right back and defensive midfield. He's quite tall; solid, strong, good on the ball and good with his head. Out of all the defenders we have been linked with he's the most impressive. I would rate him slightly better than Ayala and significantly better than the likes of Hanley; Morrison, Keogh and Flint. If Flint is worth around +£4M and Hanley and Morrison worth around +£5M, then Bartley should at least be worth around the same as Hanley and Morrison or more.

This comparison on the transfermarkt site is interesting:  https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/vergleich/spielervergleich/statistik/def/spieler/67421&79723 

It shows a comparison between Kyle Bartley and his most comparable player (another target of ours) Sean Morrison. They're both the same age and height. They're both versatile as they can both play on the left and right of centre defence. They're both leaders and good with their head. They both seem to score a fair amount for a centre back. Morrison has played the more games but Bartley's value has risen over the past year, whilst Morrison's has stagnated over the past couple of years. They're both solid defenders at this level and have both played in the top flight.

Personally I'd say the main difference between them and partly why I would prefer us to sign Bartley, is that he's tidier on the ball, more dynamic and would suit us more. He also seems the strongest and most reliable out of the defenders we have been linked with along with Ayala. But going on form and players suitable to play at a higher level, regardless of the fee Bartley would be the best signing to make out of all the defenders we have been linked with.

Edited by Mr. Wednesday

3 minutes ago, Owl999 said:

Can't help thinking that Lees is leaving, Burnley being the most likely place.

I wouldn't be so certain. Because the defenders we have been linked all seem to be leaders, powerful and good with their head. Perhaps we just want a new partner for Lees? Someone to replace Loovens by bringing in similar qualities in the short term and long run?

9 minutes ago, Mr. Wednesday said:

I wouldn't be so certain. Because the defenders we have been linked all seem to be leaders, powerful and good with their head. Perhaps we just want a new partner for Lees? Someone to replace Loovens by bringing in similar qualities in the short term and long run?

I'd love to see Lees here next season, just got a gut feeling that he won't be, Burnley bound with James Tarkowski coming to Hillsborough as part of the deal .

23 minutes ago, Owl999 said:

Can't help thinking that Lees is leaving, Burnley being the most likely place.

Not sure about this. You only have to look at the model of Brighton last year, they kept the nucleus and added. When considering that the teams that have come down are in a massive transition with new managers (and not big clubs like Newcastle who can hold onto better players) and also question marks about Villa, keeping a settled and capable squad may give us our best chance yet of automatic promotion to the PL. Keeping a player like Lees is crucial to this, so cashing in on him this season makes no real sense. 

Edited by AwokenGiant

17 minutes ago, Mr. Wednesday said:

Or we want a new partner for Loovens.....

27 minutes ago, AwokenGiant said:

Not sure about this. You only have to look at the model of Brighton last year, they kept the nucleus and added. When considering that the teams that have come down are in a massive transition with new managers (and not big clubs like Newcastle who can hold onto better players) and also question marks about Villa, keeping a settled and capable squad may give us our best chance yet of automatic promotion to the PL. Keeping a player like Lees is crucial to this, so cashing in on him this season makes no real sense. 

Completely agree with the points you've made, however I'm not sure the squad is as harmonious as people believe it is, if a player has decided they feel it's time to move on then I'm all for letting them .

2 hours ago, Philb125 said:

What side does he play? 

I know hes well rated and people would love him in, but anyone else get feeling it may be a decoy to show Newcastle/Hanley we have other options? 

Right, can we please stop this "Oh it's a smokescreen, it's a decoy" nonsense? We have this every year ffs and it's cringey as hell lol

If we could get £12m + for lees and get Bartley for £7m that would be tremendous business. Pair Hutchinson (who imo is not only a better ch than lees but also far more comfortable on the ball than tom) with Bartley and you have an all round better centre half pairing and £5m+ in the bank.

10 hours ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

Better than Pontus Janson all mates say

very very good cb and better than Keogh, Hanley etc 

Totally different defenders.

Jansson is a hard nut, real John Terry, bodies on the line player/leader. Bartley reads the game really well, has good distribution and is fantastic in the air.

Be an excellent signing for who ever gets him.

50 minutes ago, Owl999 said:

Completely agree with the points you've made, however I'm not sure the squad is as harmonious as people believe it is, if a player has decided they feel it's time to move on then I'm all for letting them .

I see no problems with the harmony of the team. 

25 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Right, can we please stop this "Oh it's a smokescreen, it's a decoy" nonsense? We have this every year ffs and it's cringey as hell lol

It would be lovely if life was simple and straight forward without the need to manipulate and play games... unfortunately it's not. 

Quite often fake stories are started by both clubs and players (their reps) to assist negotiations. This could be just that. I hope not, as the player seems (on feedback here and views of his current manager) to be better than the players we are linked with. 

Sorry that real life is cringeworthy, I too had that realisation after leaving school - it's a shame the world isnt as straight forward as it could be!