Supporting Wednesday and not from Sheffield

Born and bred in Doncaster - for my sins. Started off supporting Doncaster Rovers at 12 but then my dad took me to see Wednesday and have been hooked since for over 30 years. Still like Rovers to do well.... except when they play Wednesday. 

12 hours ago, Ali G said:

Now I'm all for you should support your local club, however sometimes you have links through family. I personally grew up in Rotherham,about a mile from Sheffield. My old man took me ti Hillsborough when I was 4, My Dad is a born and bred Sheffielder. With the locality and family ties to Sheffield I was never going to support anyone else, in a way totally out of my hands.

One thing that really fooks me off with the bitterness Roth fans with Wednesday is claiming Rotherham Owls aren't real Wednesday fans as not from Sheffield and not supporting the town you live in or born in football team.

One particular person constantly refers to this when engaged in any banter.

Anyone else have this, and what's the best response to this ridiculous claim!

Don't take any notice of the Toytowners. They're opinions are irrelevant.

8 hours ago, steveger said:

My dad worked at the Barony Colliery just outside Auchinleck until we moved to Maltby (dad transferred  to Maltby Colliery) in 1978, my grandad worked at the Killoch Colliery near Ochiltree for years. I myself worked down Maltby pit for 3 years in the early 90's ....

Proper mining family apart from me hating the present Labour party....:ph34r:

Im from Ayrshire and my grandad also worked at the Killoch colliery. Small world indeed.

I was also born in Rotherham. We lived in Scholes until I was about 2, then my parents moved the relatively short distance to Chapeltown (hence ChapSmurf).

I think my first match might have been at Millmoor, aged about 6. It stands to reason as my dad being from Rotherham was a fan, and my step-dad (my mum/dad got divorced when I was 5) used to play for them (as did one of my brothers). I can't remember which one of the two took me, but I'm certain that will have been my first taste of live football.

I am the eldest of three, so the leader of that little pack when we were kids. I had no big brother to emulate, and a lot of my mates weren't in to going to the games - although we all loved to play football - so it wasn't until I got a bit older, 11, 12 maybe, that I started going with other school friends to the games. This was the early 80s and I was hooked. I couldn't afford to go to many games and it probably wasn't until I was 16 that I started going regularly.

At 26 I moved to Naaaaaaaaridge to help point at the moon for the locals, whilst also working full time for Aviva in their data centres. I attended the odd game here and there when travelling up to see friends and family. There was also a decent sized contingent of Owls fans in Norwich. I worked with at least haf a dozen and there was plenty more besides. I was there for 12 years until 2008 when I moved back to Sheffield. From that point on, home and away as often as possible. ST holder from the first full season I was back.

Edited by ChapSmurf

Born in Oxford, early years in Spain, then back to Banbury. Now split my time between Malaga in Spain, and Oxford.always been Wednesday fan since I first took an interest in football as a kid. Been to over a 100 different grounds with Wednesday

Born in Lincolnshire, moved to Norfolk within 6 months and down South since 1977. Dads family from the middle of nowhere in Worcestershire! But his best friend at school in the 1940's was a Wednesdayite. He picked up the bug and passed it on, the good man.

Born, raised and still live in Birmingham, Sheffield Wednesday fan and would not have it any other way. My Dad is from Sheffield moved to Birmingham early 70's he was born into a family of Wednesday and raised me the same. Personally to me it does not feel like a home match without the trek up the m42/m1, my dad is a season ticket holder and goes to on average around 10 away games a season also. I am a member had been a season ticket holder when I was younger but as I am still able to run about and play I will until my legs pack in. The past two seasons I have got to around 20 games a season both home and away, for me Tuesday night and Friday night fixtures are a god send as I can leave straight from work and get to most grounds within 150 miles before kick off. 

I have never been pressed as to why I chose them over the local teams of Villa and Birmingham City even at school as when I respond that it is a family thing most just left it alone, tbf most BCFC fans are ok but only turn up in numbers for particular games and a lot of Villa fans I know are premier league snobs and simply still can not work out how teams from the bottom of the table can turn up anywhere and beat top in this division.  I must say however it was particularly sweet when at the start of the Season two Villa fans had a bet with me with regards to final table positions as they were convinced they would finish above us, easiest 300 quid ever. 

Born and bred in London. Have zero family ties to Sheffield. First match I ever watched on TV was the 93 FA Cup final. Decided to pick a team I wanted to win to make things more interesting. 

I was only 10 and had no understanding of geography or any of that so wasn't aware Arsenal are a London club. Was absolutely gutted when we lost the replay.

Been a fan ever since and try to get to at least a few games every season, especially in the London area. From 2000 - 2005, I didn't see us win a game (from 2001 I didn't see us score a goal)! Dad is an armchair Chelsea fan. Oh how things could've been different if he'd shown any interest in me following in his footsteps...

No regrets though. Wednesday til I die!

Always supported the Owls as born in Hillsborough not far from where Redfern Froggatt lived.  Moved to the Red Sea nearly 15 years ago and support El Gouna FC in the Egypt 2nd Div.  I come to Sheffield a couple of times a year and try to fit a match in but limited to being an Owls supporter in our local sports bar (loads of Owls fans there now!!!)

22 hours ago, g-owls said:

I'm originally from Gainsborough where's there's a good number of Wednesday, United and Leeds fans. To be fair Leeds are probably the best supported team in the town after the obvious armchair Liverpool and Man Utd supporters.

My old man supports Wednesday and his dad used to catch the train to Sheffield with his friends back in the 60's to watch us play. Some of the blokes used to go and watch both Sheffield clubs, purely as it being a day out. My grandad didn't bother with United thankfully.

I've been living in Hucknall for the last 5 years and have only seen 1 or 2 Wednesday shirts in that time, it's mostly Forest here although I'm sure they'll be plenty more Owls fan in the area, Mansfield is only 8 miles away and places such as Alfreton not much further.

I work in Hucknall as well and see mostly Derby and Forest fans .. lot of Forest fans are really downbeat at the minute, lad that was on the team, his Dad's a Wednesday fan but he supports Forest so plenty of banter between us. Work with another Owl, a Dingle, Dundee United fan, Arsenal fan and a Liverpool fan.

Born and grew up in Donny, lived in Sheffield for a bit and now living in Rotherham. From a young age i actually supported Spurs from watching them on the tele and seeing Glen Hoddle bossing games. It all changed though back on the 2nd May 1992 when my dad and his mate took me to watch my first game of live football ... Sheffield Wednesday Vs Liverpool. Ended 0-0. I reckon that if the team in red had won, i may have ended up supporting liverpool! But lo and behold, it was a draw, no-one impressed me much, i had to pick a team and it was the Owls that ended up with my support!! :laugh::laugh:

I grew up in Goldthorpe near Barnsley, now living in Barnsley.

When my dad was a nipper him and his mates used to get on a bus to hillsborough from goldthorpe that ran on matchdays (prob good business by the club back then)

when I came along he took me to my first match at 6 years old  in 1987,, v Coventry... and iv been hooked since.

Rotherham fans are a strange bunch.

They have no qualms with other born and bred Rotherham people supporting Leeds, Sheff U, Man U etc. But Rotherham Owls are seen as the spawn of Satan. I can count on one hand the number of real Rotherham fans I know that have season tickets, yet I find it's the ones who don't go or have a 'second team' that hit you with the 'you should support Rotherham because you're from Rotherham' stick.

After our play-off defeat, a lad in our local had a few pints and decided to confront me and tell me "I should support Rotherham because I'm from here". I asked him how many Rotherham games he had attended in the last season and his response was "none, because I can't afford it." :wacko: Instantly put him in his place considering I attend every SWFC home and away game and this flour head is giving it the big 'un when he doesn't bother going himself. 

We aren't Man United. You don't support SWFC because you think we are going to win the Premiership and be on TV every Sunday. There's normally family ties involved.

Edited by Bassett's Allsorts

13 minutes ago, Bassett's Allsorts said:

Rotherham fans are a strange bunch.

They have no qualms with other born and bred Rotherham people supporting Leeds, Sheff U, Man U etc. But Rotherham Owls are seen as the spawn of Satan. I can count on one hand the number of real Rotherham fans I know that have season tickets, yet I find it's the ones who don't go or have a 'second team' that hit you with the 'you should support Rotherham because you're from Rotherham' stick.

After our play-off defeat, a lad in our local had a few pints and decided to confront me and tell me "I should support Rotherham because I'm from here". I asked him how many Rotherham games he had attended in the last season and his response was "none, because I can't afford it." :wacko: Instantly put him in his place considering I attend every SWFC home and away game and this flour head is giving it the big 'un when he doesn't bother going himself. 

We aren't Man United. You don't support SWFC because you think we are going to win the Premiership and be on TV every Sunday. There's normally family ties involved.

They'll have even less going to chuckle dome next season. Season ticket sale are almost 50% down.

Edited by bradowl

It's funny, where do you draw the boundaries anyway Does supporting your local team in Sheffield mean you support us, or the piggies. What if you live nearer Rotherham, or if you were born and grew up in S2? I know a couple of mad Wednesday fans who actually live on Shoreham St. Even some of the many Man Utd and Liverpool fans who live down here, and have no connection with any town or city up North, can gain my respect, if they regularly travel to support their team

Edited by gurujuan

16 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It's funny, where do you draw the boundaries anyway Does supporting your local team in Sheffield mean you support us, or the piggies. What if you live nearer Rotherham, or if you were born and grew up in S2? I know a couple of mad Wednesday fans who actually live on Shoreham St. Even some of the many Man Utd and Liverpool fans who live down here, and have no connection with any town or city up North, can gain my respect, if they regularly travel to support their team

My cousin who supports Wednesday lived on John Street for a few years. 

37 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

I'm really proud of the fact that wherever I go I see people in Wednesday shirts.For whatever reason, we have appeal far beyond Sheffield. The strangest place I ever saw a Wenesday kit was Sanaa, Yemen.......

I very rarely see Dem Blades outside Sheffield unless they have an away game.

And then not very many