Supporting Wednesday and not from Sheffield

59 minutes ago, Ali G said:

The thing is with Rotherham supporters I'm sure more Wednesday fans who live in Rotherham would be more supportive of them if they weren't totally obsessed with Wednesday and Wednesday fans living in Rotherham

Exactly, born in Rotherham and being going to Hillsborough since 1969, Dad was from Ireland but moved to Sheffield in late 50s meeting Mum who was born in Sheffield. 

Went to a few midweek games at Millmoor with school mates but soon put a stop to it with all anti Wednesday chants. 

As a young lad growing up in South Wales, we had limited access to top level football in the early 90s. Cardiff were playing decent level but not top flight and the fans were a little boisterous for young kids. 

In the under 11's teams we went to a coach trip to one of the big stadiums that were often not sellouts, villa, Everton, Leeds and Wednesday were regular trips. Mine was to Wednesday. They also got to the cup finals and were on TV it seemed almost every week. 

My fate was sealed and almost 30 years of suffering on, I support from even further afield in South Africa. I check OT every day and live in the dream that @gurujuan will be happy with one of our signings, that @holmeowl and @zzmdu will agree on the best striker pairing or maybe even that we the mighty Sheffield Wednesday regain our place in top flight. 

I'm Sheffield born and bred and a life-long Wednesday fan. My son was born and is being bred in Scotland (poor lad! lol ) and he'll be supporting Wednesday or nobody! He'll be allowed to follow our local team, but his real club will be Wednesday.

As for Rotherham fans, they're just bitter that they might be a half decent club if 80% of their town didn't support Wednesday!

Yea I'm also Irish and all my friends are manure and pool fans so I put up with some sh-t growing up and still get it but that's life, can't wait till we get to the premiership so we can beat them and I can have the last laugh 

Pfffft.  Don't listen to little old toy town fans.

They've got the biggest chip on their shoulder of the lot.

I was born in Jessops, grew up in Darnall, Handsworth, Aston and I moved to Rotherham last year.  Apparently that now makes me a Rotherham Owl in their sad SAD logic.

Ah well. lol

3 hours ago, Ali G said:

Now I'm all for you should support your local club, however sometimes you have links through family. I personally grew up in Rotherham,about a mile from Sheffield. My old man took me ti Hillsborough when I was 4, My Dad is a born and bred Sheffielder. With the locality and family ties to Sheffield I was never going to support anyone else, in a way totally out of my hands.

One thing that really fooks me off with the bitterness Roth fans with Wednesday is claiming Rotherham Owls aren't real Wednesday fans as not from Sheffield and not supporting the town you live in or born in football team.

One particular person constantly refers to this when engaged in any banter.

Anyone else have this, and what's the best response to this ridiculous claim!

You don't choose Wednesday... Wednesday chooses you

I'm from Sheffield but my 1 week old daughter is officially a Geordie. 

I have her a Wednesday blanket already. I hope she follows in her fathers footsteps. I think it may actually be easier with a girl than it would be for a boy given the strength of support for the Toon and Sunderland round here.

Edited by Bluesteel

16 minutes ago, steveger said:

I have no links whatsoever with Sheffield, moved to Rotherham from the wasteland known as Scotland when I was 7 in 1978, went to watch Wednesday with my mates against Manure in the 80's, beat them 1.0 with Chapman scoring, Wednesday chose me!

Moving from Scotland saved me from being a little man syndrome England hating pasty skinned deep friend mars bar chomping angry little fat albino man and taught me to be civilised and introduced me to Sheffield Wednesday Football Club, I love England the country and it's mainly nice but arrogant and deluded peoples :biggrin:

ooh and i still got fat though....:sad:

lol

Where did you live in Scotland Steve - it must have been a sh*tehole if Rotherham was better!

My Dad was born in Swinton, nr Mexborough, which was officially part of Rotherham. My Grandad supported Barnsley, but my dad, getting chance to accompany a neighbour, became an instant Wednesdayite. I was bred and born in Hoyland, so my nearest club would be Barnsley, followed by Rotherham, then dare I say it, the Blades, in terms of availability of public transport.Only 'posh' people had a car then (mid 1940's) My Aunt and all her family were staunch Barnsley supporters, so when Dad decided to take me to Hillsborough in 1947, we faced some opposition. After I left school and went to uni for a year at Newcastle, I was surrounded by Newcastle and Sunderland supporters, and yearned for Sports Report on the Radio on Sat, followed by the Mon. post which invariably contained a rolled-up copy of 'Green 'Un', which led to a mad scramble between me and my landlord to be first to read it. I married, and eventually moved my job and lived in Clowne, Derbyshire. Since my retirement and the birth of a much wanted Granddaughter, I moved to Buxton. My Wednesday-supporting life has been far from easy, but staunch, and I have never lived within a 15 mile radius of Sheffield (nor wanted to) I could so easily support Macclesfield, Stoke, or the Manchester clubs IF I WANTED TO. But cut me, and I bleed Blue and White. I proudly wear to every home game, an old Sheffield Wednesday Supporters Club badge, bought for me in 1948. To partially quote Stevanger 'I didn't chose Wednesday - Wednesday chose me!!!'

Incidentally, has anyone done a straw poll on the make up of a Wednesday crowd, to find out how many are Sheffielders and how many are 'outsiders'? I think you would be amazed at the spread of participating Wednesdayites, and where they travel from.     

10 minutes ago, steveger said:

Cumnock in Ayrshire and a little village in Dumfrieshire...... Aleppo would be an upgrade on Scotland mate :biggrin:

Spent a week in Cumnock whilst doing my Mining Engineering training, in the 60's. It may not be heaven on earth , but the folks were A1***

I'm originally from Gainsborough where's there's a good number of Wednesday, United and Leeds fans. To be fair Leeds are probably the best supported team in the town after the obvious armchair Liverpool and Man Utd supporters.

My old man supports Wednesday and his dad used to catch the train to Sheffield with his friends back in the 60's to watch us play. Some of the blokes used to go and watch both Sheffield clubs, purely as it being a day out. My grandad didn't bother with United thankfully.

I've been living in Hucknall for the last 5 years and have only seen 1 or 2 Wednesday shirts in that time, it's mostly Forest here although I'm sure they'll be plenty more Owls fan in the area, Mansfield is only 8 miles away and places such as Alfreton not much further.

23 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

My Dad was born in Swinton, nr Mexborough, which was officially part of Rotherham. My Grandad supported Barnsley, but my dad, getting chance to accompany a neighbour, became an instant Wednesdayite. I was bred and born in Hoyland, so my nearest club would be Barnsley, followed by Rotherham, then dare I say it, the Blades, in terms of availability of public transport.Only 'posh' people had a car then (mid 1940's) My Aunt and all her family were staunch Barnsley supporters, so when Dad decided to take me to Hillsborough in 1947, we faced some opposition. After I left school and went to uni for a year at Newcastle, I was surrounded by Newcastle and Sunderland supporters, and yearned for Sports Report on the Radio on Sat, followed by the Mon. post which invariably contained a rolled-up copy of 'Green 'Un', which led to a mad scramble between me and my landlord to be first to read it. I married, and eventually moved my job and lived in Clowne, Derbyshire. Since my retirement and the birth of a much wanted Granddaughter, I moved to Buxton. My Wednesday-supporting life has been far from easy, but staunch, and I have never lived within a 15 mile radius of Sheffield (nor wanted to) I could so easily support Macclesfield, Stoke, or the Manchester clubs IF I WANTED TO. But cut me, and I bleed Blue and White. I proudly wear to every home game, an old Sheffield Wednesday Supporters Club badge, bought for me in 1948. To partially quote Stevanger 'I didn't chose Wednesday - Wednesday chose me!!!'

Incidentally, has anyone done a straw poll on the make up of a Wednesday crowd, to find out how many are Sheffielders and how many are 'outsiders'? I think you would be amazed at the spread of participating Wednesdayites, and where they travel from.     

easily done mate just ask the club for the post code data from season tickets, in fact they should have the post codes of everyone who has attended a match over the last few years - DE55 to start you off.

1 minute ago, g-owls said:

I'm originally from Gainsborough where's there's a good number of Wednesday, United and Leeds fans. To be fair Leeds are probably the best supported team in the town after the obvious armchair Liverpool and Man Utd supporters.

My old man supports Wednesday and his dad used to catch the train to Sheffield with his friends back in the 60's to watch us play. Some of the blokes used to go and watch both Sheffield clubs, purely as it being a day out. My grandad didn't bother with United thankfully.

I've been living in Hucknall for the last 5 years and have only seen 1 or 2 Wednesday shirts in that time, it's mostly Forest here although I'm sure they'll be plenty more Owls fan in the area, Mansfield is only 8 miles away and places such as Alfreton not much further.

We're just up the road from you at Bolsover and we see mainly Chesterfield, Wednesday, dem Blavdes and Derby supporters. Oddly enough, very few Forest and Mansfield fans but I think that might have something to do with the '84 Strike.

As for me, I was born in Jessup's (like most other folks in Sheffield) and we lived just off Shoreham Street, literally about 30 seconds' walk from dem Blavdes.

Despite living in the potential squalor of the wrong catchment area, the Wednesday Gods found me and set me on the path to righteousness. Subsequently, my kids have followed the true road to happiness and now spend their hard earned cash following The Massive around the country.