Supporting Wednesday and not from Sheffield

27 minutes ago, Blame Harkes said:

The following is all true:

I was born in Boston.

I was raised in Brighton.

I spent many years in Cambridge.

I now (and likely for good) reside in Falmouth.

I have never been to England.

WTID.

Falmouth, Cape Cod? If so I will buy you a beer in August.we rent a house up there every year. 

First went to Hillsborough following cup final defeat to Everton in April 1967 (2 - 2 draw v Man U) night match, absolutely electric atmosphere, hooked ever since. We lived in Ridgeway (N E Derbys) at the time, I suppose I went regularly throughout my teens after Saturday morning football for school, walking back from Mosboro / Halfway in time to get me dinner and travel to the match. Did quite a few away matches at that time especially 1970 season but went to college in Cheshire and was playing footie every Saturday for them on Saturday afternoons so didn't see much of the team at all 74 - 77. Then moved to Barnet and used to take the little un to watch the Bees in non league, finally ended up in Cornwall and rarely get chance to go back to Hillsborough now, last game was v Arsenal two seasons back. Still have relatives in Killamarsh and Eckington so I always hope my visits coincide with a home game . Alas I'm limited to TV matches which was great last season ...always watch from behind a cushion though!WTF:

One thing that is noticeably different for Wednesday fans living outside of the Sheffield area, is you tend to notice fellow Owls more. There is more importance attached to anybody you meet who happens to be a Wednesday fan, something fans living in Sheffield take for granted

On 14/06/2017 at 11:01, Musn't Grumble said:

We're just up the road from you at Bolsover and we see mainly Chesterfield, Wednesday, dem Blavdes and Derby supporters. Oddly enough, very few Forest and Mansfield fans but I think that might have something to do with the '84 Strike.

As for me, I was born in Jessup's (like most other folks in Sheffield) and we lived just off Shoreham Street, literally about 30 seconds' walk from dem Blavdes.

Despite living in the potential squalor of the wrong catchment area, the Wednesday Gods found me and set me on the path to righteousness. Subsequently, my kids have followed the true road to happiness and now spend their hard earned cash following The Massive around the country.

same here, I was on Crawford street (I think) which was 1 minutes walk to bumhole lane. Thank God we moved. 

6 hours ago, Blame Harkes said:

The following is all true:

I was born in Boston.

I was raised in Brighton.

I spent many years in Cambridge.

I now (and likely for good) reside in Falmouth.

I have never been to England.

WTID.

Sounds like you've been in England all your life lol

Can't you Yanks think up your own place names?

Born in Dublin, Ireland.
Got a hand-me-down jersey from a guy in my estate when I was 5.

Asked "Santa" for the new jersey that Christmas.

Instead "Santa" got me two tickets to see us play Arsenal on Boxing Day as my Dad's an Arsenal fan. 0-0.

Hooked ever since.

Got to 13 games two years ago and 9 last year, quite a lot on my own.

Wouldn't change it for anything though.

My Dad was from Hull and was a big rugby fan and although he watched football, he didn't have a team so I had a free reign to choose (or be chosen). I was brought up just south of Manchester (in Congleton like an earlier post-er) so could have easily gone to follow a Manchester club. I even got taken to Old Trafford and saw them play Everton but it didn't grab me. Anyway, we had some family friends who were from Sheffield and I asked to be taken to see Wednesday in 1986 - we played Liverpool and drew 0-0, all we did was hoof it up to Lee Chapman, but I loved it and that was that. Never regretted my choice for a second. My 3 year old is currently running around our lounge with a Wednesday shirt on. Currently live in Warrington. WAWAW.

On 2017-6-15 at 11:02, gurujuan said:

It's funny, where do you draw the boundaries anyway Does supporting your local team in Sheffield mean you support us, or the piggies. What if you live nearer Rotherham, or if you were born and grew up in S2? I know a couple of mad Wednesday fans who actually live on Shoreham St. Even some of the many Man Utd and Liverpool fans who live down here, and have no connection with any town or city up North, can gain my respect, if they regularly travel to support their team

On a map. 

12 hours ago, gurujuan said:

One thing that is noticeably different for Wednesday fans living outside of the Sheffield area, is you tend to notice fellow Owls more. There is more importance attached to anybody you meet who happens to be a Wednesday fan, something fans living in Sheffield take for granted

This is so true. I lived outside Sheffield for 40 of my 55 years and will chat to anyone just because they have an Owls shirt. Quite often they don't speak English but loved Chris Waddle back in the day and so bought a shirt in a market somewhere. I've ended up chatting to random Owls in USA, Ireland, Cyprus, Turkey - absolutely everywhere. 

19 hours ago, CrosbyKitchens said:

Falmouth, Cape Cod? If so I will buy you a beer in August.we rent a house up there every year. 

Beautful. PM me with some details when we get closer.

13 hours ago, OxonOwl said:

Sounds like you've been in England all your life lol

Can't you Yanks think up your own place names?

Well, I do live in New England.

Although not born in Sheffield I was brought up in Ellis Street, Brinsworth. My Dad was a railwayman and the top half of Ellis St was for railwaymen and the bottom half and the next street( Duncan Street) were miners houses. As soon as we moved in the local lads took me to Hillsborough (about 1964). And that was that. There were no united fans at all. In fact Sheffield United were so invisible in Brinsworth that I didn't realise Sheffield had two teams until 1967. So technically I'm one of the dreaded Rotherham Owls  and shouldn't have been supporting us at all. What a load of sh$te.

UTO