Supporting Wednesday and not from Sheffield

Im as far from Sheffield as I could get right down on the south Coast in Hastings

My Dad is an Arsenal fan, he was born and raised in London but moved to Hastings when he was around 20 in the late 70's, my older Brother and younger half brother also support Arsenal and even my Brother In law is an Arsenal fan and was a season ticket holder at Highbury/Emirates until a few years ago

They are all members of the Hastings Arsenal supporters club and regularly go to games I go with them every now and then, I went with them as well to the last few Wednesday matches at Highbury from 98 onwards, and was at the game we got relegated from the Prem but in the Arsenal end just to compound misery having to sit around people gloating about sending us down, we were leading 3-1 as well at one point in that game.

Anyway as for the reasons why i support Wednesday and not Arsenal we have to go back to the 93 Cup Finals, I was a 6 year old lad and my dad had just divorced my mum and being at such a young age I didn't understand the goings on etc and just wanted to go against my dad so an Arsenal loss to Sheffield Wednesday in the Coca Cola Cup final seemed a thing that might upset him and thus a Wednesdayite was born.

I went to a few away games in London and Brighton in the early 2000's as my 1st taste of being around Wednesday fans before finally getting my first trip to Sheffield/Hillsborough which was with my mum as my big 18th Birthday present in 2005, we beat Derby 2-1 and have tried to go a few times a season since even though I now work Saturdays making it harder and I have a lovely Daughter who was born in 2011 making Money tighter but I still get to a good few away games down south, (Brighton and Qpr this year) and aim for at least 2 trips to Sheffield a season If I can, My daughter is coming to the age where I'm thinking of bringing her along for the next trip and see if she catches the bug

I had my Stag do in Sheffield in April 2014 as well and we went to a game which was my aforementioned Arsenal Family's first trip to Hillsborough (aside from Brother in Law who has been as an away fan a few times) it was the 3-3 draw with Blackburn when we behind 3-1 and Nuhiu scored 2 goals (yes it HAS happened) to bring us level and almost won it with the final kick.

Anyway I've rambled enough but it goes to show some good can come from parents divorcing, I wouldn't of been a Wednesday Fan If they hadn't,

I would of been Supporting Arsenal and enjoying League titles, Fa Cup wins, CL every season, Damn my Parents why did they divorce HAHA

Nah I wouldn't swap it for the world

WAWAW, Wednesday Till I Die      

Edited by leeowls87

Social mobility started in the industrial revolution, and through the 20c with a series of economic depressions. As the club dates back to 1867, it's likely the original Olive Grove fan community have moved on throughout the country for one reason or another. Most fans of clubs will have this, although it may have by-past places like Rotherham and Heeley.

Grew up in Surrey, Mum's side of the family were all Palace fans (the nearest club to home), dad's side of the family were all Arsenal fans from North London. I just like owls, so I chose to support Wednesday.

Despite being so far from Sheffield, I seem to meet Wednesday fans quite regularly. At least three teachers at my secondary school were owls, there was another player in my local Sunday league team who was a Wednesday fan, and at least one other kid at school. Now I live in London I stil see quite a few around.

I was born in Huddersfield but into a family of Wednesdayites of 3 generations.

Unfortunately for me, they saw the glory days, whereas I was born the year we went down, so never seen us in the top division. Instead, I was brought up convincing myself that Steve Maclean was the greatest striker of all time and JP Mcgovern was a legend. :picnic:

This is the first time I have ever seen genuinely good football at Hillsborough in my life.

I'd be pleased if folk did only support the team from their own city.

Man U Man C Liverpool and Everton would then have less fans than us and S H - - - - - - -   - - I T E -

Not gonna happen though.  Fans will always support who they want to.

For most people supporting a club is something that happens to you, it isn't a decision you made. It's true that for many people supporting your local club is just more likely to be what happens to you. 

I'm from Ireland and didn't get to Hillsborough until I was about 20, but it would just be a joke to me if someone said I wasn't a proper Wednesday fan. 

Born and bred in The Isles of Scilly... picked them in '66 as they were in the cup final. Could have picked Everton I suppose, but something about the name Wednesday appealed to me. 

If only Gerry Young had trapped the ball...if only Mike Trebilcock wasn't Cornish, oh well, onwards and upwards.

By the way, if anyone's interested, I reckon we are going to start off like a train next season...bit like we did in Wilko's first season, and then go on to win the division in style. ( It is fearfully hot here today and I haven't been wearing my hat )

Always supported Wednesday, despite moving from Sheffield when I was 4 as my dad got a job as a physio for Norwich.  I remember in my early years in Norfolk none of the kids knew who swfc were, probably because Norwich is a boring club with no local derbies to make them exciting to follow and just ended up 'supporting' Man U, Chelsea etc.

Born in Rotherham, grew up in Maltby and Bramley - dad was a miner at Silverwood.

Most of the family are Rotherham fans, but a school friend's parents took a group of us to Hillsborough for what must have been his 6 or 7th birthday and the rest is long distant history.

Saved from a wretched life.

born on manor top in 1974

went to games with my dad until his death in 1995.

moved to Swansea in 1999 with my ex wife.

my lad played for the Swansea youth team from 2005 until his release in 2011.

took me until 2015 to convince him to travel the 8 hour round journey to Hillsborough than walk 10 minutes up the road to watch the swans.

yet to convince me new girlfriend to come to a game but she was brought up by her folks that rugby players are proper men and footballers are overpaid fairy's

Born in Hull. Went to Barnsley for college reasons and since lived in London, Milan, London again and now Manchester. Never, ever lived in Sheffield.

The way I see it, nobody gets to tell you you are not a real fan. Some of the most committed fans I've ever known come from far and wide to support their teams, while others rock up once a blue moon despite living round the corner. Whoever identifies themselves as a Wednesday fan is alright by me.

Born in Sheffield, dragged up fifty miles down the M1 in the Midlands, now residing in the capital with regular visits up the M1. Mums side of family all Sheffield and Rotherham. A few Millers, a smattering of Blunts, some Owls. I opted for Wednesday from when I was a child, my father had an ST and so did his dad...

Wednesday chooses you.

Edited by F. Spiksley

From Northampton, no real links to Sheffield at all just got fed up like many people of the usual teams supported around 1990.

My brother must have done the same as he ended up a Forest fan.Never lived that 7-1 drubbing down.

Sheridan and Hirst seemed a good alternative to the Liverpool and Arsenal stars of the time.Then not long after Waddle joined so that was like a bonus.See a few Wednesday fans here from time to time.

9 hours ago, wednesdaywizard said:

Pfffft.  Don't listen to little old toy town fans.

They've got the biggest chip on their shoulder of the lot.

I was born in Jessops, grew up in Darnall, Handsworth, Aston and I moved to Rotherham last year.  Apparently that now makes me a Rotherham Owl in their sad SAD logic.

Ah well. lol

I too was born in jessops, I grew up in Handsworth, lived at Intake for the past 7 years but moving to Rotherham on Friday! 

Guess that makes me a Rotherham owl too....Ah well lol