Does everyone still actually enjoy football?!!!

Love/hate watching wednesday but I generally don't watch any other football. The PL and sky money has ruined it for me like previous posters have mentioned. I've always believed that player salaries should be capped and still do. 

I still love going to hillsbro..

Meeting friends and going for a beer with my brother. This is why we renewed without much thought.

Appreciating all the hard work that goes into a performance..even if it doesnt quite come off. Supporting the manager and the team.

Only thing that spoils it is the ridiculous moaning comments from the miserable sods on the kop..half of it makes no sense.

Also a lot of people on here just seem demanding and petulant and a bit distant from the reality of sport. Even paying more for tickets still guarentees nothing.

Now i get labelled as a clapper..once i was simply a supporter.

Been going since 1988 and seen a hell of a lot worse seasons and performances so the level of stropping bewilders me.

I still watch prem on bbc as dont have sky...im completely aware of the money fuelled hype circus but its still football at its heart..and id miss motty and jp.

Edited by HIGHERSTATE

The fact of the matter is, if we go up next season, the following season our aim will be to finish 17th. Compare that to the last time we got promoted to the top tier. We finished 3rd. Even if we do a Stoke or Southampton and become established we'll never finish any higher than 9th or 10th. It's simply a different game these days. The greatest game I've ever seen as a football fan was Boro vs Chesterfield in the semi final of the 97 FA Cup. You will never get that type of game again. In the past three years we have had two complete freaks, in a really good World Cup (in which England were dire), and Leicester winning the league. Other than that, football in this country for the past fifteen years has been completely turgid, attritional crap, with teams more concerned about finishing 14th than going on a cup run.

The more I'm told how great the game is by the big TV companies, the less I enjoy the sport. 

I no longer watch live football that doesn't involve Wednesday.  Overall football is not as much fun as it used to be. 

I get what the OP is saying but my main frustration this season is that we underperformed despite finishing 4th in the table.

Guest BULGARIA
9 hours ago, Donny.Owl said:

Think the dust has settled enough for me to ask this and satisfy my curiosity (that's what I'm doing, not having a go at anyone)..

Does everyone still actually enjoy football? I mean on a game by game basis rather than it being just all about going up, or whatever.

I do...

But reading this forum and other Social Media got me thinking, these days, seems like a lot don't enjoy it... like, at all!

Makes me wonder, what do they get out of it?

They were miserable when staying up was the aim, and they're miserable now, when finishing in the Play Offs is par for the course. Once upon a time, where we are now, was the dream. But we always want more, it's like getting the car you've dreamt of, then immediately losing interest in it and yearning for a better one.

OK, we'd all love if if we'd won, got promotion. I was as pissed off as anyone else after the Semi defeat, but I'm getting over it now. Think fighting at the top of the Championship and winning far more games than we lose is nothing to moan about.

Would people actually enjoy being in the Premier League and not winning most weeks?

Doubt it. That's not me finding a positive for not going up, just an observation.

It's not just us either, but surely there's only a few clubs in the world that can expect constant success, there's a lot more clubs in the country than there is things to win. So "success" is all relative.

I find myself always looking forward to a match on the telly but then after 10 minutes i usually get up and do something else.

I'm hoping for big changes in football next season with the hope of taking diving out of the game. I hate the play acting. I watch replays of games from the 90s, hard, fast games with goals and think 'I bloody love football'. 

Most folk take it far too seriously. Break it down and its just 22 blokes running around a field, trying to kick a ball between some posts.

Cue the famous  "life or death" quote...

Like the news, it's better to tune out most of the time. 

I'm far more interested in being entertained with decent football than winning 3 points at any cost. That's why for me, this season has been unenjoyable. 

7 hours ago, Internationowl said:

Unless they're publicly dealt with and forced to stay, made to apologise for refusing to turn up to a game, have to play on for the year even with all the resentment, sign a new contract for $£€£millions£€£$, and ultimately miss the deciding penalty in a semi-final shoot out in front of the kop.. But that would never happen. Anyway even if it did I'm sure it'd be forgotten about soon enough.

And look how he was treated for doing that. Now imagine if we had half a team of them. Watching Chelsea get presented with medals yesterday, I honestly couldn't tell you who half of them were. 

I do still love live football. Not got much time to watching on TV.

I agree with your assessment though. There are some absolutely terrible examples of moaners at games these days. They never stop, regardless of the score or situation.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course. But it is so draining listening to them.

8 hours ago, BRADDO said:

As a lad I used to love watching Match of the day on Saturday nights. These days I can't watch it. I think premier league football is boring and usually very predictable. Yes, it would be nice to get promotion and put the club on a financially secure footing for years. But, in truth we would be losing or scrapping for draws most weeks. Imagine Owlstalk then!

That's rather Negative and Defeatist.

You say

"we would be losing and scrapping for draws most weeks"

It doesn't have to be like that !

Let's look forward with optimism !

Up the Owls !..............

This is only a thread as we lost!!

The difference nowadays is that we can't get away from it like we used to.

Its 24 hours a day 7 days a week, with games, highlights, news & opinions (from everybody)

Its like being with your wife every minute of every day for 9 months!! You love her but sometimes you're glad when the seasons finished 

I love Wednesday in a similar to loving my Wife, children and grand-children. Always have and always will.

All of the above change over the years but I still love them.

Football in general has also changed but can't say I still love it as I did when I was a kid though.

I collected all the Panini cards for the domestic competitions and world cups, I used to spend all day watching the cup final and the build up including "It's a knockout" etc while supporting my team and wishing for the days when we were one of the top teams, then when we were good it seemed to be over as soon as it started.

But now I hardly watch Match of the Day and my Sky Sports subscription is a waste of money as I rarely watch premier live games anymore.

So It's just Wednesday for me what ever league we are in.....

6 minutes ago, torres said:

This is only a thread as we lost!!

The difference nowadays is that we can't get away from it like we used to.

Its 24 hours a day 7 days a week, with games, highlights, news & opinions (from everybody)

Its like being with your wife every minute of every day for 9 months!! You love her but sometimes you're glad when the seasons finished 

Exactly, if we had won people would be saying how much they love the game, I will never get people saying they don't want us in the Premiership. Yes the game in general is nothing like it was but surely we want to see our club go as far as possible. 

I made a decision about half way through the season that this would be my last as a full time fan, I used to plan my life around the club and did do for many years but I have to say I preferred playing and did so on Saturdays and Sundays so night matches either home or away were a bonus .

Now after watching the Owls for well over 50 years I have made the decision to walk away , I hope to still take in the odd game but last season was the last season ticket for me . 

Like others I am disillusioned with the Premiership or bust mentality that the game has become and I realised when FF did not travel to Norwich that we have succumbed to the reality of the modern game .I am happy with our chairman but lets not kid ourselves that its anything more than a business to him and could go either way .  

I have Sky at home but very early watch a game do still enjoy match of the day on occasions but for me football is not top of my list anymore . 

Over and out . UTO . 

2 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Exactly, if we had won people would be saying how much they love the game, I will never get people saying they don't want us in the Premiership. Yes the game in general is nothing like it was but surely we want to see our club go as far as possible. 

It's driving me insane the misery and feeling sorry for ourselves 

1 minute ago, torres said:

It's driving me insane the misery and feeling sorry for ourselves 

Me too. I get people are trying to comfort and reassure themselves by saying "I didn't want to go up anyway, we would lose all the time", but I will never think like that. Who knows how we would do in the Premiership, we have a top chairman that I believe would invest heavily, I think it would be so exciting personally. 

For me it's about the love of my club. I enjoy football, playing and watching, but Wednesday are in my blood. I love match days with 3 generations of us, catching up  together and walking to the ground. I love train trips to away games when I can. I want us to do well obviously and I really want us back in the Prem but after 50 years of ups and downs I have learned to just enjoy the ride, enjoy the good days and swallow the disappointments. Our time will come again.