Does everyone still actually enjoy football?!!!

It's not a thread because we lost.

It's something that really surfaced when the prices went up.  It forced a "cut off point" with some people who had been going for years and it brought home "the price and the prize" for some people whether you agreed with them or not.

I posted in another thread that it's an "undercurrent" that admittedly surfaces more when we lose or play badly.  It's a resentment.

8 hours ago, Internationowl said:

Unless they're publicly dealt with and forced to stay, made to apologise for refusing to turn up to a game, have to play on for the year even with all the resentment, sign a new contract for $£€£millions£€£$, and ultimately miss the deciding penalty in a semi-final shoot out in front of the kop.. But that would never happen. Anyway even if it did I'm sure it'd be forgotten about soon enough.

lol

Ouch!!

18 minutes ago, torres said:

This is only a thread as we lost!!

The difference nowadays is that we can't get away from it like we used to.

Its 24 hours a day 7 days a week, with games, highlights, news & opinions (from everybody)

Its like being with your wife every minute of every day for 9 months!! You love her but sometimes you're glad when the seasons finished 

Maybe. Because if we'd won, there'd be an important match coming up to talk about; the subject would still be relevant though. I could've started it any time over the last few seasons, and as I said in the OP, it's not just us. It's fans in general.

Can't remember where I heard it, but some fool of a pundit was going on about how Arsenal fans were suffering!!! It was before yesterday when they were still fighting for 4th spot. They're suffering because it's been so long since they won the league!

Makes you realise that, right now, even a club as big as Arsenal can't take it for granted that they'll be able to compete at the very top ie winning the league and Champions League, and their fans aren't enjoying being also rans.

In the 90s Man Utd were the only mega rich club in England and that was wealth and prestige they'd built up over decades. Now with all the new money pumped in by super rich owners means that there's less hope for clubs to find, what was once, their "natural level", and for clubs like ours, Newcastle, L**ds, etc to build a good side and gatecrash the party. 

Having said that, I still think people don't enjoy football on a game by game basis. Just go, hope we win, enjoy the camaraderie of being a supporter etc, that's how it should be IMO. I know that makes me a "Happy Clapper", and some will say that they are more "ambitious"... and hope to achieve their ambition for the club by whining and moaning on the internet.

Now, for some, the banter can be venomous (© DA), the criticism of players and Managers is constant, the losses are the end of the world, even the victories are torn apart when the performance doesn't entertain enough... but "attractive football" is criticised when it doesn't deliver the right result.

It's like we want perfection, an almost unachievable level of football.

How can that be enjoyable? What keeps these people's interest up? Genuinely curious.

I have to admit not enjoying Football as much as I used to.

Think its partly down to getting older and a bit more cynical. But I think the other reason is money.

Price for tickets (£36 at Barnsley ffs!!) and the money the players get paid. I cant help see beyond what a player gets paid a lot of the time. The recent example is Jordan Rhodes bottling taking a pen when he is on £50k per week.

IMO clubs have less connection to the local area anymore. This is partly inevitable with globalisation I guess.

But don't like way football is going with probably more then half the clubs in the top 2 division owned by foreign billionaires on a bit of an ego trip.

I know this subject been done to death but really does stick in my throat how a player on £25k per week can refuse to play because his ego been bruised as someone is getting paid more. 

I am still a football fan but not really prepared to go that extra 10% to watch a game like I used to like taking time off work for away games and paying £30+ for a ticket for an average away game.

The more football changes  - and I now rarely watch it other than SWFC - the more I want Wednesday to stay the same.  

Supporting my club is no rational economic decision. It's not a matter of choosing a business from a global market. I love Wednesday for the excitement of watching a sport that doesn't really matter but seems to be vitally important at the same time. A lot of that is down to nostalgia and being one of a gang that has been following the club for years - people from all ages and backgrounds who have that same passion.

Tradition is really important in this - I see throwing away the stripes because of one bloke's whim and charging nigh on £50 for a Second Division game as contrary to lots of things I value about football.  We've become one of the worst examples of the things I dislike. It's why I haven't joined the Chansiri as Messiah club. I recognise I'm in a minority in this but it just doesn't sit right with me. 

Good football can counter a lot of the doubts - but this season's let's bore the opposition to death and nick a spawny win tactics meant I haven't enjoyed it nearly as much as the previous year despite the progress in terms of position.   And yet I've renewed my ST again - more out of habit than expectation. 

Here's to August.

Always loved football and always will.

It's not just about Wednesday winning or getting promoted or whatever, It's more of a lifestyle. There's nothing else like it that gets your mates together week in week out, going for a few drinks and going to the games. It's the huge social aspect of it that I personally enjoy the most, really couldn't imagine life without it.

I'm only barely interested in Football now. Only football I follow now is Shef Wed. 

I used to follow the leagues from top to the very bottom.

The money has killed it for me now though. So much so I only pay attention to our games and sod the rest. Even the local rivals. Pigs? I really couldn't care less

No Sky Sports no nothing.

I used to watch every game going.

Edited by Gerinako

Being honest, no I don't.  Lost interest completely in the national team after the SA World Cup and stoutly refuse to watch any of the friendlies/qualifiers, as they are turgid crap.  Much prefer international rugby these days, as by Christ those boys put a shift in and make you proud.  Got Sky Sports but never watch a premier league game and couldn't tell you the first team XI of the top Prem clubs.  As for Wednesday; i'll always love em and have had a season ticket for many years on the North.  Carlos' first season was incredible, as was the promotion season with DJ but last season was a bit flat at times, and I must confess I did find a few of the matches a chore.  Had a little girl 2 months ago and would much rather spend my free time with her.  I'll still go next season and support the boys but I haven't renewed and I don't (think i'll) regret not doing so.  

I've even lost interest in Footy manager and haven't played a game in yonks!!

Edited by Jazzybmzoo

Just reading through, like most I generally only watch football where Wednesday are involved(When i was a kid i'm 32 now, i used to watch loads, The Premier League, La Liga, Champions League, Football League). I very rarely watch a Premier League game or other EFL games now. I watched Blackpool V Luton the other night and enjoyed that though. When I don't get to Wednesday, i'll pop down to my local non league side and watch them.

It's not so much football I don't enjoy, I think its everything that its become in this country. The money (I don't begrudge the players that, if someone is offering them 100k a week they'd be mad to say no), this weekend it was all about the difference in income for teams dropping down a place or two. The publishing of league tables with the amount of money each club has earned  over the season.

The 24 hour news cycle, the twitter feeds, the culture of celebrity that its merged with. All things I've no interest in, the sport I still love, the business/money side and the constant hype and erosion of various traditions(FA Cup Final at half 5), to cater for overseas TV markets, that's what I don't like about it. At times it feels like the sport is secondary to things like Manchester United's latest training kit sponsor or the naming rights of their training ground etc.

Got to admit I'm struggling with enjoying watching Wednesday at the moment and probably do unless we're comfortably 2/3 goals ahead. I can't seem to just appreciate watching it, there's too much at stake. Probably shouldn't have got a ST to be honest. I prefer a good game of football when I don't care about the winners, Like Hull v Tottenham, or actually any Tottenham games this season have been pretty entertaining. I must try harder just to chill at Hillsborough and enjoy being there with my lads.

I have lost some of my enthusiasm for football, only watch Wednesday now. 

In the past I would go to a match anywhere if Wednesday weren't playing.

On holiday I have seen Quimper v Calais French second division, Rimini v ? Italian 3rd, two pre-season friendlies on the same night in Barcelona, Shamrock rovers v Drumcondra in  Ireland. My big mistake was taking my wife to see Torquay v Chesterfield on our honeymoon. Wouldn't go out of my way to go to a match these days

On 2017-5-21 at 21:39, ChinaOwl said:

Frankly speaking, not as much as I used to. The modern game as lost its appeal. The money madness and the total lack of respect for cup competitions by the top clubs has done it for me. I just don't see the game as I used to. I would rather it go back to the blood and guts of the 70's and 80's. It has become all so predictable and monotonous. 

I feel exactly the same. 

Football changed the day it sold its soul to Sky. 

Confused !

Want SWFC to do well and so get promotion to Premiership.

But not a lover of the MONEY MONEY MONEY GREATEST LEAGUE IN THE WORLD blah blah ........

If we get there it'll bring more grumbles and not sure SWFC fans will settle for yo yo seasons until we are a West Brom.

So poor old Carlos would have been better served missing the play offs in 2016, do what he did in 2017 and then next step !!!

I will be happy once I know who I'm supporting as manager - will be happy if Carlos n annoyed if Pardew.

Mr Chansiri could kill my love for footie 

Footballs not just 90 mins for me, it's the day out. I live 200 miles away from Hillsborough so to me it's getting up early and watching soccer am, get in the car and listen to 5 live or talk sport discussing the days games, get to the pub and watch whatever game's on sky with my friends who I've known since school and rarely see aside from footy. Watch Wednesday, discuss Wednesday over beers, drive back listening to whatever game is on the radio, back home for takeaway and match of the day.

Am I football mad?

Yes

Oh and i started watching Wednesday regularly in the early 2000s, so I have only known pain! Started working in 2005 and had to work Saturdays but got a Mon - Fri job three years ago and got season ticket. Loving fighting at the top of the division!