Does everyone still actually enjoy football?!!!

1 hour ago, Donny.Owl said:

Think the dust has settled enough for me to ask this and satisfy my curiosity (that's what I'm doing, not having a go at anyone)..

Does everyone still actually enjoy football? I mean on a game by game basis rather than it being just all about going up, or whatever.

I do...

But reading this forum and other Social Media got me thinking, these days, seems like a lot don't enjoy it... like, at all!

Makes me wonder, what do they get out of it?

They were miserable when staying up was the aim, and they're miserable now, when finishing in the Play Offs is par for the course. Once upon a time, where we are now, was the dream. But we always want more, it's like getting the car you've dreamt of, then immediately losing interest in it and yearning for a better one.

OK, we'd all love if if we'd won, got promotion. I was as pissed off as anyone else after the Semi defeat, but I'm getting over it now. Think fighting at the top of the Championship and winning far more games than we lose is nothing to moan about.

Would people actually enjoy being in the Premier League and not winning most weeks?

Doubt it. That's not me finding a positive for not going up, just an observation.

It's not just us either, but surely there's only a few clubs in the world that can expect constant success, there's a lot more clubs in the country than there is things to win. So "success" is all relative.

Reading the points you have made, you are relatively young as you talk about where we are now being a dream. I first went to Hillsborough in 1955. I remember coming second to Spurs who won the 1st Division Chapionship and then losing the cup final in 1966, getting relegated, eventually to the 3rd Division, then back to the 1st Division and then the Premier League. So you could say being 4th is not a dream, just a staging point back to where I think we should be. This is the longest Wednesday have ever been out of the top Division. 

But to answer your question, more recently, I have enjoyed the football. I loved the early 90s when you could watch great football and forget about the pressures at work for a few hours. Last season I enjoyed a lot of it but it has been generally dire on the pitch this season with tedious defensive play.

A great exciting game to me is almost better than a win. Had we really pounded them on Wednesday and still lost, I would have been much happier now. 

Edited by Andrew Robinson

THE POWERS THAT BE AND BIG MONEY +SKY HAVE INTERFERED WITH THE GAME TOO MUCH ,(SORRY CAPS) , and ruin'd it as far as i'm concerned to many daft rules banned from tackling certain ways ,diving, daft tactics all this 4 2 1 and other set ways of playing rubbish  has taken a lot away from the game ,the game was far better when players played for the love of the game and not the cash , and don't get me started about rolling about on the floor if another player breaks wind next to you, players were men once and just got up and got on with it , was it Bert traughtman that played 80 odd minutes in goal with a broken  neck ,and Mick Lyons one of our own who was shinned which opened a gash in his leg he went off got it stitched came back and completed the game  ,those were the real football days and sadly missed ,but that said i follow our team and all the highs and lows , and go through the pain as much as anyone ,, do  i like it tbh never thought about it it just becomes a wednesday family thing , and time with your mates

10 minutes ago, outlaw pete said:

Some of the best matches I have seen at Hillsbrough have been watching the under 18s and the development squad.

Wednesday V Hull was a very good match.

Good younge players in both teams and it cost nothing to watch.

no inhibiions from the kids mate they are still trying their best to make it  and good on them

5 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

I think a lot of fans seem fed up with football but still follow Wednesday.

I think sometimes they take out their frustration with the modern game they now hate on the team they still can't stop loving.

Of course, it's the passion of being a Wednesday fan rather the game itself. What else is there left to keep us going?

1 minute ago, ChinaOwl said:

Of course, it's the passion of being a Wednesday fan rather the game itself. What else is there left to keep us going?

Agree with your sentiments.

loved the game in 70's and 80's even when Wednesday were awful.

quickly falling out of love with the game in general though. It's turned from a sport into big, big business.

very depressing and I rarely watch any other than Wednesday now even on TV.

watching occasional live games on TV used to be something to look forward too. Now there is a game on TV all the time. Can't watch it any more. Bores me senseless. 

1 minute ago, RichSheffWeds said:

Agree with your sentiments.

loved the game in 70's and 80's even when Wednesday were awful.

quickly falling out of love with the game in general though. It's turned from a sport into big, big business.

very depressing and I rarely watch any other than Wednesday now even on TV.

watching occasional live games on TV used to be something to look forward too. Now there is a game on TV all the time. Can't watch it any more. Bores me senseless. 

I watch Premier League football over here in China because there is often nowt else to do. I sit and have a drink in the bar watching it but I just see a bunch of boring, predictable robots on the pitch kicking a ball about. I cannot see it in the same light as when I used to go go regularly in the 70's and 80's. I used to love the game, the passion, the tackling, the muddy fields, the cup giant killings, FA Cup Final Day, playing with cuts and injuries (a centre back wearing a head bandage covered in blood fighting on to the death) but all it is now is a bunch of overpaid, daisy livered, big girl's blouses' posing in front of TV cameras.

As a lad I used to love watching Match of the day on Saturday nights. These days I can't watch it. I think premier league football is boring and usually very predictable. Yes, it would be nice to get promotion and put the club on a financially secure footing for years. But, in truth we would be losing or scrapping for draws most weeks. Imagine Owlstalk then!

Think we would enjoy football more if we were in the premier league, because if ,you are like me ,you want to hear your team being discussed on tv and radio.

I can't be the only one sick to  death of hearing constantly about Chelsea Man Utd etc  

Playing devil's advocate and at the same time probably stating the obvious here:

I think as much as some of us may hate the modern game we have a sense of duty to the club and its future for those younger ones who follow.

As much as we may not like the prize, or what it takes to win it, it is the only way to carry the club forward or there's a chance we'll be left behind.

Is it not a bit selfish to waste energy yearning for something that no longer exists unless the club effectively goes backwards?

Maybe we should start to raise funds for Owlstalk branded "Clappers"?

1 minute ago, sonofbert2 said:

Playing devil's advocate and at the same time probably stating the obvious here:

I think as much as some of us may hate the modern game we have a sense of duty to the club and its future for those younger ones who follow.

As much as we may not like the prize, or what it takes to win it, it is the only way to carry the club forward or there's a chance we'll be left behind.

Is it not a bit selfish to waste energy yearning for something that no longer exists unless the club effectively goes backwards?

Maybe we should start to raise funds for Owlstalk branded "Clappers"?

I know what you mean, and we have to aim as high as possible. Football has changed inextricably and will continue to do so.

I wasn't keen on the idea of the Premierleague at its inception. Alarm bells were ringing even then. But I knew that if it did come into being we had to make sure we were in it. 

As it was we dropped and my worst fears came to life. It was becoming a closed shop and with our gargantuan debt we were the urchin kids stood with noses pressed at the window. 

I daresay that at some stage in the future (I hope not my life time) that things will continue to change and that eventually there will be some sort of European money making League and again....though the idea is quite sickening because we all know it will just be another money making cartel for the chosen few...for the sake of the future you'd have to say we hope we're up there in the mix if it does come to be. 

I wouldn't say it's watched energy to yearn for the past. It's something that happens in all things in life. I don't see anything wrong with reminiscing about, what to me certainly somehow seemed more innocent times (despite bungs, hooliganism, career threatening tackles from behind! :ph34r:

We can't be left behind again and I'm all for moving forward. Especially for the kids who have never seen us at the  top table.  But I don't mind glancing over my shoulder now and again and remembering when players didn't dive about so much. when they would be chatting with you outside the ground 20 minutes before kick off. Or even sharing a tram.  The brass bands on the pitch. Mudbaths. Strongest teams out in the FA cup  and playing on a Saturday at 3pm. 

1 hour ago, Owl 44 said:

Interesting post and largely true. I read in another thread that we have the best squad now since the 90s. However if we go up we'll probably have to sell most of them and buy a load of foreign players with no loyalty to our club whatsoever - just to compete. 

That's true,  'foreign badge kissers' - kiss their shirt badges when they score, then soon as a  better offer comes in they leave immediately.

5 minutes ago, eguin said:

That's true,  'foreign badge kissers' - kiss their shirt badges when they score, then soon as a  better offer comes in they leave immediately.

Unless they're publicly dealt with and forced to stay, made to apologise for refusing to turn up to a game, have to play on for the year even with all the resentment, sign a new contract for $£€£millions£€£$, and ultimately miss the deciding penalty in a semi-final shoot out in front of the kop.. But that would never happen. Anyway even if it did I'm sure it'd be forgotten about soon enough.