Does everyone still actually enjoy football?!!!

I'm certainly less of a football fan than i used to be. Looking back, 90's and early 00's football was the best. It was life. Used to going to the matches on a Saturday,  playing footie Sunday morning and watching games in the afternoon, especially Football Italia on Channel 4.

With all the money it has become so far detached from reality, but i'm part of the problem. I pay my sky each month and i bet in reality, not including when Wednesday are on, I've watched no more than 15 matches this season and i bet half of those we La Liga. 

Total double standards from me. As much as i want Wednesday to be in the Premier League and benefit from all that money, the Premier League and football doesn't really interest me as much as it did. Maybe that is because i'm older, i don't know. 

That said, come July, i'll be itching for Wednesday's season to get going again. 

It was my life in the late 70s to 2005 home and away then it lost its shine a bit for me, it still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when i walk in and see the pitch but due to severe ill health and not working for 4yrs i cant aford to go at the moment hopefully i'll get another season ticket at some point.

Like a lot on here. I was far more footy obsessed in the 90's and early 00's.

I'd watch any football that was on, play Pro Evo and CM/FM to death. I'd read World Soccer magazine at work (in a Newsagent). buy coaching books and player Biographies just to help get my fix.

As well as Wednesday, I'd go with my Dad to watch Rovers. I'd watch Italian footy on C4, Dutch, Argentinian and Brazilian late at night on C5.

Was a big England fan too. Think between being a kid and around 2002ish England meant as much to me as Wednesday did. That just fizzled out.

Now it's pretty much just us that I still love watching. I watch England, but it doesn't feel the same and that's it. I could probably still name the 1st team of Man U, Arsenal and Inter MIlan (for example) from 12 years ago. Wouldn't have a clue now!

Is it an age thing or did football really lose something around the mid 00's???

On 21/05/2017 at 21:32, Donny.Owl said:

Think the dust has settled enough for me to ask this and satisfy my curiosity (that's what I'm doing, not having a go at anyone)..

Does everyone still actually enjoy football? I mean on a game by game basis rather than it being just all about going up, or whatever.

I do...

But reading this forum and other Social Media got me thinking, these days, seems like a lot don't enjoy it... like, at all!

Makes me wonder, what do they get out of it?

They were miserable when staying up was the aim, and they're miserable now, when finishing in the Play Offs is par for the course. Once upon a time, where we are now, was the dream. But we always want more, it's like getting the car you've dreamt of, then immediately losing interest in it and yearning for a better one.

OK, we'd all love if if we'd won, got promotion. I was as pissed off as anyone else after the Semi defeat, but I'm getting over it now. Think fighting at the top of the Championship and winning far more games than we lose is nothing to moan about.

Would people actually enjoy being in the Premier League and not winning most weeks?

Doubt it. That's not me finding a positive for not going up, just an observation.

It's not just us either, but surely there's only a few clubs in the world that can expect constant success, there's a lot more clubs in the country than there is things to win. So "success" is all relative.

No, not as much as I used too.

Hardly went last season.

Falling out of love with it big time.

3 hours ago, Donny.Owl said:

Like a lot on here. I was far more footy obsessed in the 90's and early 00's.

I'd watch any football that was on, play Pro Evo and CM/FM to death. I'd read World Soccer magazine at work (in a Newsagent). buy coaching books and player Biographies just to help get my fix.

As well as Wednesday, I'd go with my Dad to watch Rovers. I'd watch Italian footy on C4, Dutch, Argentinian and Brazilian late at night on C5.

Was a big England fan too. Think between being a kid and around 2002ish England meant as much to me as Wednesday did. That just fizzled out.

Now it's pretty much just us that I still love watching. I watch England, but it doesn't feel the same and that's it. I could probably still name the 1st team of Man U, Arsenal and Inter MIlan (for example) from 12 years ago. Wouldn't have a clue now!

Is it an age thing or did football really lose something around the mid 00's???

I think it is an age thing - so pleased I spent my informative years watching Big Jack's, Wilko's and Big Ron's teams - couldn't imagine growing up watching Turner's and Irvin's debacles.

6 minutes ago, Animis said:

I think it is an age thing - so pleased I spent my informative years watching Big Jack's, Wilko's and Big Ron's teams - couldn't imagine growing up watching Turner's and Irvin's debacles.

I think some of it is an age thing (I am 41) but think it is also down to money. Think money has soured football.

Just find it crazy average players who are just out of the youth team are financially secure for life many times over.

I am still a football fan as its hard to break the habits of a life time but doesn't feel the man on the streets game anymore.

Felt miles more part of Sheffield Wednesday in 2005 when we won the play offs then I felt last week. Wanted us to win but wasn't at all crestfallen.

15 minutes ago, AMB1867 said:

A few years ago, I was mad on Wednesday, every single penny I had went on Wednesday. This was when I was a kid and had no money and relied on parents to help out, they bought my £9 ticket on the kop, or I'd tell them it was £9 still, but in fact it "quid a kid" against QPR and I would revel in the extra spends at the match. Or have an extra couple of pound that I could get a sneaky little bet on at the William HIll on Southey. 

But I'm 27 now, and everything is football is still changing, and our football club is in massive change on and off the pitch. 

I am glad Wednesday are finally looking to get back in the Premier League, but we seem to have lost our identity. The shirt we wear has no stripes, we have Chansiri on our shirts, around the stadium and less and less of Sheffield Wednesday and more and more of Chansiri. He has changed our badge, the shirt, ticket prices and all without very much input or throught from our fans and feel as if, perhaps the club is less and less about the fans. 

This isn't just a Wednesday thing, but also football in general. I see footballers getting done for bad things, fraud, rape and much more. I see footballers have religious and homophobic rants on Twitter and Facebook. I don't particularly want to support or watch these individuals. Look at Sheffield United, I had loads of respect for them this season, they went about going up the right way, scoring goals and targeting automatic, then they spoil themselves by re-signing Ched Evans, I am utterly disgusted that they have done it. Regardless of the quashed verdict.

Sadly, there is more in football, than just football itself. Everything is about respect, diversity, fairness and history and I don't see it that much in football. 

Therefore these days, I am more put off by football everyday. 

I agree with a lot of what you say. I don't think Chansiri is a bad bloke at all and if Wednesday ever want to back into the Premier league we probably do need a very rich sugar daddy to bank roll us, that's modern football like it or not.

But as one of my friends said we are more Chansiri Wednesday then Sheffield Wednesday these days. And I do groan when I see I see his name been put on the North Stand seats and every bit of merchandise. The stripes thing does annoy me too, doesn't feel like a SWFC shirt.

Does feel at times he is on a bit of an ego trip and I don't understand why some why some fan go really OTT when he puts out a statement. 'Chansiri One Love' and all that crap.

Think football clubs having less connection with people who sit in the stands along with the ticket prices has took the edge of my love for football.

As for players getting involved in very unsavoury things. Don't think this is anything new. When young men who are well known a few will always find trouble.  

It's become so expensive that people struggle to simply sit back and enjoy it the way they used to, we expect value for the ridiculously inflated cost, and rarely get it.

Football is absolutely fantastic until you reach the age where you have to pay for it yourself.

On 22/05/2017 at 00:44, manicowl said:

The fact of the matter is, if we go up next season, the following season our aim will be to finish 17th. Compare that to the last time we got promoted to the top tier. We finished 3rd. Even if we do a Stoke or Southampton and become established we'll never finish any higher than 9th or 10th. It's simply a different game these days. The greatest game I've ever seen as a football fan was Boro vs Chesterfield in the semi final of the 97 FA Cup. You will never get that type of game again. In the past three years we have had two complete freaks, in a really good World Cup (in which England were dire), and Leicester winning the league. Other than that, football in this country for the past fifteen years has been completely turgid, attritional crap, with teams more concerned about finishing 14th than going on a cup run.

Teams are more concerned about 14th because the premier league is dubbed by media outlets as the best league in the world. When in fact it's probably the 3rd or 4th behind la liga, bundesliga and maybe even serie A

I sporadically still enjoy watching football, but a lot of the magic has gone these days.  There's too much money at stake, too much 'gamesmanship', too much media saturation and hype.  Clubs don't belong to their local community any more and it's hard to identify with the players.

It's probably partly to do with getting older but it's not just that.  A few years ago I would have been excited to take my son along to his first Wednesday match like I did with my dad but it's hard to summon the enthusiasm when he'll probably end up 'supporting' Man City or Chelsea anyway.

Even a couple of years ago if you had asked me i' d probably have said I'm a Wednesday fan, not really a football fan.  But now the whole thing is just increasingly 'meh'...

Still enjoy football? I don't think I ever have! Decades of crippling disappointment watching Wednesday and England with the lows massively outweighing the highs.

Still, I'm too far gone to turn back now. One day it'll all be worth it... surely?!