Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

I'm all for Mulgrew, but we really do need to keep an eye on bringing through our own ranks our signing younger players. By the sound of it we do have a lot of belief in our academy lads. Hopefully one or two could be more involved this season, or be sent out on loan to develop. 

48 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Mulgrew played left back for Blackburn last season. Is he even cut out for the tough job of playing CB in the championship? He looked classy at Celtic but it's easy when you have all the possession and are up against poor teams.

Not so sure about this one. Hopefully our other CB target will be better.

Mulgrew played cb last season. Derrick Williams was their left back.

9 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Everyone's panicking about the defence. I think we only conceded more than 2 once all last season. 

Because we played a tight, highly defensive game all season which allowed the opposition barely any chances. The strength of the defence was irrelevant really.

9 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Everyone's panicking about the defence. I think we only conceded more than 2 once all last season. 

True, but at times we relied on Sasso and Semedo in defence. Both gone. Neither have been replaced. 

When our first three defenders were out we looked a lot less solid. As demonstrated at Burton, where we conceded three and could have been many more.

15 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Against bloody Burton! And probably because we had a makeshift defence, which could easily happen plenty of times this season if we don't get a couple of CBs in!

1 hour ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

This is a proven Chansiri strategy and in my opinion quite a shrewd one.

Think Winnall and Rhodes.

Carlos has made it clear we want two centre halves. We appear to be getting quoted silly prices for our top targets.

We know we cannot afford to go into the season with Pudil at centre half.

Therefore Mulgrew makes perfect sense.

A solid left sided player available for reasonable money.

With Lees, Mulgrew, Hutch and Loovens we are no longer desperate and don't appear to be desperate to the selling club.

We can bide our time until the end of August when the pendulum swings a bit and the selling club (if the player is surplus to requirements) become the desperate ones.

I expect us to sign Mulgrew and then Hanley near the end of August.

Mulgrew then has the advantage of probably becoming our first choice left back.

Not sure we can bide our time with our present CB situation. Loovens is not fit now having had a summer break and the season hasn't yet started. What's going to happen when we start playing two games a week in earnest? Blackburn will want to keep Mulgrew, whom we were linked with last summer when he was available for free. They will certainly not want to sell him at the end of August without a replacement being signed or lined up and then perhaps only for silly money. Hanley might be available on loan or for a reduced price but that's a big gamble. Let's face it if Lees picks up a serious injury we're stuffed. This should have been sorted last season, it wasn't!

Best hope is that Mulgrew has some sort of relegation release clause in his contract with Blackburn.

Edited by Beauchief Owl

Bring in Hutton & Mulgrew now. Our defence will be sorted enough to start the season with. 

Wait until the last week of the window and bring in Hanley on loan.

Done. Very strong, experienced defence sorted for the season.

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

True, but a heavy contribution to that was the fact the whole team was set up to be strong defensively, so it impeded our attacking credentials

How many times did we score more than 2 last season? 

13 times, I believe.

6 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Bring in Hutton & Mulgrew now. Our defence will be sorted enough to start the season with. 

Wait until the last week of the window and bring in Hanley on loan.

Done. Very strong, experienced defence sorted for the season.

And Snodgrass 

:stuwinky:

53 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Not sure we can bide our time with our present CB situation. Loovens is not fit now having had a summer break and the season hasn't yet started. What's going to happen when we start playing two games a week in earnest? Blackburn will want to keep Mulgrew, whom we were linked with last summer when he was available for free. They will certainly not want to sell him at the end of August without a replacement being signed or lined up and then perhaps only for silly money. Hanley might be available on loan or for a reduced price but that's a big gamble. Let's face it if Lees picks up a serious injury we're stuffed. This should have been sorted last season, it wasn't!

Best hope is that Mulgrew has some sort of relegation release clause in his contract with Blackburn.

We can bide our time if we sign Mulgrew now.

Hence my Winnall - Rhodes analogy.

Signing Winnall enabled us to play the waiting game with Rhodes.

4 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

I asked because I'm having a can't be bothered day lol 

Gotta do it all myself around here haven't I...

:biggrin:

You passed - I found the answer as a reward

Bristol City H

Birmingham H

Norwich H

3 hours ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

This is a proven Chansiri strategy and in my opinion quite a shrewd one.

Think Winnall and Rhodes.

Carlos has made it clear we want two centre halves. We appear to be getting quoted silly prices for our top targets.

We know we cannot afford to go into the season with Pudil at centre half.

Therefore Mulgrew makes perfect sense.

A solid left sided player available for reasonable money.

With Lees, Mulgrew, Hutch and Loovens we are no longer desperate and don't appear to be desperate to the selling club.

We can bide our time until the end of August when the pendulum swings a bit and the selling club (if the player is surplus to requirements) become the desperate ones.

I expect us to sign Mulgrew and then Hanley near the end of August.

Mulgrew then has the advantage of probably becoming our first choice left back.

Superb post.