Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

10 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Hunt, Pudil and Fox should be no more than back up imo.

2 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Agree with this. 

Whether we agree with it all not we ain't got Hunt, Pudil and Fox money to be throwing at full backs and considering the only one we have been linked with so far has virtually given everyone a heart attack, I will be surprised if we don't stay clear.

8 minutes ago, marcx666 said:

Yeah and thats what we will have next season, I agree about Pudil, but Fox has played well in pre season. I dont get thew hate for Palmer, hes not spectacular buts hes steady, Lees is obviously first choice, and CC flat out says he wants 2 centre backs. yet you want to change 3 out of 5 of the back four including the keeper? We really have more pressing issues to be honest

I don't think we need 2 CB, one of the required quality will be more than sufficient.

LB, I'd be happy to give Fox a shout but is Carlos as he overlooked him for large parts last season. Hopefully he will prove to be a fantastic signing and Pudil is more than adequate back up, if not then we will need a new one.

RB, as you say Palmer is steady but we need better than steady especially when Hunt is inconsistent as he is.

This is just my opinion but I think it's the difference between challenging for the play offs and challenging for the top 2.

2 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

I don't think we need 2 CB, one of the required quality will be more than sufficient.

LB, I'd be happy to give Fox a shout but is Carlos as he overlooked him for large parts last season. Hopefully he will prove to be a fantastic signing and Pudil is more than adequate back up, if not then we will need a new one.

RB, as you say Palmer is steady but we need better than steady especially when Hunt is inconsistent as he is.

This is just my opinion but I think it's the difference between challenging for the play offs and challenging for the top 2.

Oh I dont disagree as a whole, but, my opinion is, there are areas that require more pressing urgency in players because we dont have a bottomless pit of cash thanks to FFP which was only invented to protect the already rich and protect the prem

3 minutes ago, marcx666 said:

Oh I dont disagree as a whole, but, my opinion is, there are areas that require more pressing urgency in players because we dont have a bottomless pit of cash thanks to FFP which was only invented to protect the already rich and protect the prem

This is the problem, we now have a very decent squad buts so do Villa, Boro and I see these as our biggest threat for the top 2 spots.

We have the best keeper, wingers and strikers in the league and top improve the areas I've mentioned will make us genuine contenders but that costs and as you've rightly pointed out FFP is having an effect on our dealings.

I'd like to see 2 things happen to help with this, firstly we need a cull as our squad is top heavy and we don't need more than 2 players per position. 

Secondly I would be hoping Mr Chansiri is exploring avenues that increase income and elevates the problem of FFP such as renaming the stadium.

2 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

This is the problem, we now have a very decent squad buts so do Villa, Boro and I see these as our biggest threat for the top 2 spots.

We have the best keeper, wingers and strikers in the league and top improve the areas I've mentioned will make us genuine contenders but that costs and as you've rightly pointed out FFP is having an effect on our dealings.

I'd like to see 2 things happen to help with this, firstly we need a cull as our squad is top heavy and we don't need more than 2 players per position. 

Secondly I would be hoping Mr Chansiri is exploring avenues that increase income and elevates the problem of FFP such as renaming the stadium.

Honestly I think DC is exploring every back channel possible as regards to FFP, he honestly seems smart as f*ck. Wingers, Id still like to see a pacey one. Villa will take 3 months t get going with half of the squad being new, and Im still not a believer that Terry will be the amazing player that everyone on here seems to think. Boro I think will go straight up, but they got beat today 2-0 by rchdale, so if all this is based on us not beating sides, then boro are down lol

In all seriousness we only need 1 or 2 players this window. Boyd I think was a great signing, can play either wing comfortably, energy for days which fits into the pressing game Carlos likes to play., I just want a top class somewhat pacey cb, to replace Looverns, and an impact winger with pace, then jan, see how we are. With a pacey CB bannan wont have to drop as deep to cover. 

On 21/07/2017 at 22:09, Bodhidharma said:

I don't need to resort to insults to get a point across and nor should you. 

I've been on this site a number of years.

I've seen the accusation posted many times against decent posters on here. 

It is utterly untrue but it serves the person making the accusation in that it makes them feel like a 'better' fan for not criticising or questioning the club management.  

Questioning things is part and parcel of being a fan, which most of us are on this site.

You are not a better fan because you never question anything. 

But in peddling the old cliché, maybe you are just part of a little mafia on here who want to control everyone else with petty insults and unfounded accusations.  

Sorry, missed this due to been out today, and spent tonight doing the twitter updates on the game and it got lost amongst the replies, comments and plusses/minuses etc

Ok, for one it was hardly an insult, seeing as the idiot part was one of 3 options, and be fair it was tongue in cheek, if I was actually insulting you, you would know.

I'm clearly aware you;ve been on this site years given your post count, so again, tongue in cheek

Actually it isn;t untrue because there are plenty of posters on here who would be glad if we fail for a variety of reasons, be it they are WUMs/trolls, blades, not even fans, and to dispute that is actually naive. I agree that some people are unfairly branded, but not just for that, hell Dr Sax is being stalked because something he said might happen didn';t happen. Its the internet, it is to be expected.

I agree questioning things is part of being a fan, as a number of people here will testify to I have questioned the lack of kit but moreso the sheer pathetic failure of information and reporting on our youth teams, something I actually take a great interest in.

No you are not a better fan if you don't question things, but then again I never even hinted toward that you were, hell I spend half my time on here having discussions with Guru FFS.

I'm Irish so we prefer Army to mafia thanks, I would appreciate it if you were not racially insensitive, unless of course you wern't accusing me of being part of some mafia on here and it was just a turn of phrase?

Now can we knock it off and "enjoy" owlstalk? cheers :manager:

Aside from 2 CB's the big thing we are missing is pace!!!

We've had no pace in the team for 2/3 years now and in my opinion is what is costing us - slow counters and makes us so one dimensional when attacking.

7 hours ago, marcx666 said:

Exactly this, I'm actually totally for getting young good premier league lads on loan, and from everything I've been told, this lad is very highly rated at Spurs, so if we had the chance to bring him in, even as 3rd choice centre back/3rd or 2nd choice full back, I'd be all over it like a tramp on chips, or a tramp on 20/20

He's only 6ft, bit small for CB 

2 minutes ago, DuttyTeabags said:

He's only 6ft, bit small for CB 

Hey as far as I know he played half of last season at right back for their U23s, that was mine and Wilys discussion, either way I'd take him over bloody Hutton, mind you id take facial herpes over Hutton

8 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Your spot on fella.

To be in with a very good shout of the top 2 we need a LB,CB,RB and a quality CM.

Get these 4 pieces of the puzzle and we'll have a good Crack at it, if not it's the play offs again.

Yep, agreed. Although if Abdicate steps up to be like the Abdi we thought we were buying (and injury free) I'm not as concerned about CM. But with Hutch's injury worries, we've only got Jones as a Defensive CM. And he was a very bad buy. Doesn't offer anything imo.

8 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Sounds daft doesn't it but when you look at it we have 3 CBS in Lees, Loovens and Hutchinson. Only Lees has a full season in him the other 2 have been injured for large parts of the last 2 seasons and if we are being honest a quality CB has been needed for sometime.

RB, we have Hunt who is inconsistent at best, granted he finished the season well, then there is Palmer who should be nowhere near the first team.

LB we have Pudil who is decent on his day but those days are getting fewer and fewer plus he seems to be injured a lot these days, Fox hasn't really played enough and that brings it's own worries because if he was up to it he would have played a lot more. We have played Reach at LB more than we should which is ridiculous as a 5m LW should be fighting it out with Forestieri for the LW spot.

Our impressive clean sheets record is down to more than just the defense, we have the best keeper in the league which helps massively, we also have defensively minded number of CM which also helps.

This 100%.

8 hours ago, marcx666 said:

Yeah and thats what we will have next season, I agree about Pudil, but Fox has played well in pre season. I dont get thew hate for Palmer, hes not spectacular buts hes steady, Lees is obviously first choice, and CC flat out says he wants 2 centre backs. yet you want to change 3 out of 5 of the back four including the keeper? We really have more pressing issues to be honest

Palmer's distribution is woeful. We need someone who will challenge Hunt. We also need someone to challenge Loovens at CB, who is injury prone. If we're serious about promotion we need better than Pudil and Fox. Maybe because we've got Reach is why we're not recruiting for this position. And we also need a back-up for Lees. This is a squad game and we need more quality in the squad in defence, surely that's obvious.

41 minutes ago, SheffWedOwl said:

Yep, agreed. Although if Abdicate steps up to be like the Abdi we thought we were buying (and injury free) I'm not as concerned about CM. But with Hutch's injury worries, we've only got Jones as a Defensive CM. And he was a very bad buy. Doesn't offer anything imo.

I hope he does come good but I see him fighting it out with Lee for the attacking midfielder role. 

A beast of a CM is a must as the midfield is to lightweight with Bannan and Jones covering the other cm position.

40 minutes ago, owls_wawaw said:

rumour this morning we are in for charlie mulgrew from Blackburn.....any good ? seems to have a good history with Celtic 

Most of the players we sign, have had a decent history at some point back in the day