Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

29 minutes ago, marcx666 said:

19:25

MALONE TO HUDDERSFIELD?

Huddersfield are in talks to sign Fulham left-back Scott Malone, according to Sky sources.

The newly-promoted Premier League club are locked in negotiations with the Whites, who are prepared to sell the 26-year-old.

Malone joined Fulham from Cardiff City last summer and was instrumental in the West London club's play-off push.  He enjoyed a fine season in all and shone as Fulham twice thrashed Huddersfield home and away in the Sky Bet Championship.

He'd be a quality signing, that's another one I would have liked us to go for that Huddersfield seem to be after, hope we get Chris Gunter.

Not only am I Wednesday's OT chief scout but Huddersfield's too lol

4 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

I'm guessing the rb would replace Palmer and keep the heat on Hunt

This is the area we will look to add speed 

How many times does this have to be explained.

1 - We don't have a decent full back at the club at the moment. 

2 - You don't improve by buying better back ups to the first team, you only improve by buying players better than the current first teasers who themselves then become the back up players.

52 minutes ago, damianb1 said:

2 - You don't improve by buying better back ups to the first team, you only improve by buying players better than the current first teasers who themselves then become the back up players.

He won't replace hunt though, hunts on too much money to be sat on the bench all year. Carlos likes to rotate his full backs too remember, Palmer isn't up to scratch for a top 2 team.

6 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

It could have been so different if FF just kept composed

Or Hutchinson. Or had Rhodes taken a penalty. Or if Pudil had not lost Quaker in the lead up to the own goal. Or if we'd had a bit of luck & the own goal just gone out for a corner.

Lots of things could have made it so different. 

5 minutes ago, 19owl08 said:

Or Hutchinson. Or had Rhodes taken a penalty. Or if Pudil had not lost Quaker in the lead up to the own goal. Or if we'd had a bit of luck & the own goal just gone out for a corner.

Lots of things could have made it so different. 

Or if we'd used the talent we've got to actually give it a go for 90 minutes in both legs.

1 hour ago, damianb1 said:

I must've missed your previous pearls of wisdom. Who said anything about buying back up.

We have a competent full back in Hunt, usually better after a run of games but It's fair to say he hasn't performed to his potential on a consistent basis. It's likely that any new signing at right back would either oust him from the side or at the very least give him greater competition than Palmer. 

It sounds a pretty straightforward way of improving/ getting more from the squad.

Edited by Bluesteel

1 hour ago, damianb1 said:

Just because you think that,doesn't make it a fact does it ?

3 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

I must've missed your previous pearls of wisdom. Who said anything about buying back up.

We have a competent full back in Hunt, usually better after a run of games but It's fair to say he hasn't performed to his potential on a consistent basis. It's likely that any new signing at right back would either oust him from the side or at the very least give him greater competition than Palmer. 

It sounds a pretty straightforward way of improving/ getting more from the squad.

No need to be arsey. If you want competent hunt just about covers it but over 2 seasons iirc he has 1 assist, no goals and although part of a colllectively miserly defence I don't think defensively he is very good. The point I initially responded to was that you don't sign a back up to anyone, you sign someone better so with your middle paragraph you have effectively agreed with me.

3 hours ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

Just because you think that,doesn't make it a fact does it ?

No of course it doesn't and I'm not arrogant enough to claim it does. However, do you think any of our full backs are good enough for automatic promotion? I don't, would any of our full backs have been first team full backs in any of the automatically promoted sides over the last couple of years? Again pretty sure that would be a no. Also buying better back up players does not improve your 1st team, it only improves your subs bench (which by simple definition are inferior to your starting 11) therefore unlikely to have a significant impact on overall results/performance.

Middlesbrough are set to sign Norwich midfielder Jonny Howson for around £4M and have opened negotiations. (Source: the Northern Echo). The same report mentions that Middlesbrough are willing to listen to offers for a number of players including Gaston Ramirez (a player linked with us).

Preston have held talks with former Norwich manager Alex Neill about succeeding Simon Grayson. Alex Neill a and Fleetwood Town boss Uwe Rosler appear to be the front runners to be in charge of our opening day opponents. (Source: the Daily Mail).

Edited by Mr. Wednesday

3 hours ago, damianb1 said:

No need to be arsey. If you want competent hunt just about covers it but over 2 seasons iirc he has 1 assist, no goals and although part of a colllectively miserly defence I don't think defensively he is very good. The point I initially responded to was that you don't sign a back up to anyone, you sign someone better so with your middle paragraph you have effectively agreed with me.

No of course it doesn't and I'm not arrogant enough to claim it does. However, do you think any of our full backs are good enough for automatic promotion? I don't, would any of our full backs have been first team full backs in any of the automatically promoted sides over the last couple of years? Again pretty sure that would be a no. Also buying better back up players does not improve your 1st team, it only improves your subs bench (which by simple definition are inferior to your starting 11) therefore unlikely to have a significant impact on overall results/performance.

(Obviously qouted the wrong part of your post bit dim when its early),......apologies.

What i would say,as i've said before on here,no one player/position is going to get promotion,but you only replace players for better ONCE you get to where you wanna be (in our case the premier league) i've got no issues/problems with any players already here,defensively over the two seasons of Carvalhal we've been solid,its that lack of "oomph" further up that has done us !!

Edited by BARMYARMY2010

3 hours ago, damianb1 said:

I'm not sure if an opening line of" how many times does it need explaining" usually gets you a positive response, but it wouldn't from many.

I agree that Hunt can do better but I've not suggested that the new signing would be back up either, whoever fails to perform will become back up. the two players competing for the right back spot would comprise Hunt plus 1 more and that the new signing would likely move Palmer on rather than Hunt. 

Given the amount of ground our fbs are expected to cover, I think CC will continue to rotate them, but stiffer competition would bring the most out of whoever plays there.