PROMOTION

I've thought about this - and remember not enjoying scuffing around near the bottom with few fond memories.

The problem is I want Wednesday to win every game - and the natural outcome of that success is promotion. If we can manage it then it will be euphoric- if we get relegated after so what really. The promotion day will be worth a season of pain and then we can start all over again. 

Thanks for the replies chaps, I expected to get negged to hell tbh.

Seems that most would be happy with a yo-yo type future, similar to West Brom, then hopefully achieving midtable security. 

Thats a very sensible approach and way to look at things, it would certainly allow the club to progress slowly but surely...and build properly.

Lets just hope we get that chance!! UTO

We have not been there for so long that we have forgotten what it is like to be in the premier league. And being in the premier league now is a lot different to back then.

Teams like Reading who were there a few seasons back and know it would be a struggle in the top division again are happy to just go up and yoyo back down again spending as little as possible and investing the rest of it in their adjacent property development. but I think Chansiri really has ambition to kick us on to be a really big club again and will do whatever it takes to make us a reasonable force in the premier league.

Totally agree with this

I definitely want Wednesday to play the highest quality football possible, under the largest attendance possible, be a club known internationally and have a financially secure future as well. All these are possible through promotion, and I don't see why we need to be a yo-yo team for this to happen, Man city, Southampton and Leicester were all down in League 1 not too long ago and they all had varying amounts of success since then. 

Sheffield as the birth place of modern football deserve a place on the international stage and nothing will make me more delighted than Wednesday being that club. 

...The gap between the premier and championship has narrowed in recent seasons...

That gap will become an untraversable chasm at the end of this season when the new parachute payments and the '£97m Prize money' Due to the teams being relegated. 

Combined with the FFP team in the middle of he Championship table in the middle of next season will likely spend the rest of there time there until the Sun obliterates Earth. 

Sorry.

Hangover mood.

I understand the sentiment. It can be more fun looking at the top of the table than the bottom. But 17 years is a long time. Will be good to watch a match knowing all about the other team, hear us being talked about on MOTD and see some global stars playing at Hillsboro.

100% yes!

I can't wait for football - less Saturdays in favour of a mid day Kick Off on Sunday away at Stoke. 

Or a football - less weekend due to an away fixture with Swansea being picked for 'Mental Monday', or whatever incredible name Sky have dubbed it. 

One major hurdle we'd have to overcome is that if (and obviously it's a big if) we end up finishing around mid-table in the Prem next season, it's highly likely that Carvalhal will be headhunted by a bigger team. And he's made no secret of the fact that his career has been made by improving teams and jumping ship to any bigger ones that come along on the back of it.

I'm sure a random mid-tier Champions League team would be willing to give him a shot if he got us competitive in the Premier.

I look at it like this. For me the championship is the best league, it's more like the football I remember as a kid back in the 70s. That's before the Money Men got involved in football and hyped everything up, although that's beginning to happen in the championship too now. I see glory seekers allover the world supporting the same 5 or 6 teams, you know, Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool etc. Doubt some of them have ever been to a game and it detracts from it. That said, the prem gets beamed all over so naturally people know the players.The trickle down effect from TV doesn't work either, never has and never will. When the Money Men began to get involved people were told it would benefit everyone, probably to try and make it sociably acceptable, but it doesn't work like that. They keep the money for themselves and keep themselves artificially at the top of the league and sod everyone else. The tickets are too expensive for me as it is, god knows what they'd be if we did get promoted. They be out of most Sheffielders' reach because the wages around here are so poor. Heard it said, that the prem could allow fans to watch for free but that won't happen.

At least away tickets are only £30 up there

It will certainly be about consolidation if and when we do go up. DC seems to be a very sensible businessman and with the right selection of players in the transfer market (and maybe the jury is out on whether we got it right last summer) - we can survive and consolidate and as others have said be like WBA, Southampton and Watford.

It's all about survival first season. After that I would just like us to become an established Premier League side again, not one that clings on for survival every year before eventually dropping. Like Stoke I suppose, they've never really been in danger of going down.

Ideally I would love to get to a standard of a team like Everton, finishing in the top half every year and occasionally flirting with Europe. We are a long long way from that yet though. 

Football is all based on hope. Its the hope of the next shot going in.  Its the hope of snatching a victory in injury time.  Its  the hope of promotion or  winning the fa cup.

Its what keeps us going back despite the losses,  the bad performances or sheer bad luck. 

If we don't have hope of getting to the top what's the point of being a supporter?