Adam Reach

Reach has lots of energy and gives 100%. He makes himself available and never hides in a match, in spite of much criticism from fans. He is however a very frustrating player in that he gets into good positions but often delivers poor balls into the box.

His finishing is also generally poor.

He's turning out to be an expensive utility player. In goal is about the only place he's not appeared this season! I pressume he was signed primarily as a wide player but he just cant beat a man. He does try hard though, I agree with that. Had we paid half a million I'd be happy but not sure he was worth 5 million.

he works his tail off, u cant say otherwise, but what else, he gets in good positions, but passes backwards every time he gets the ball, stops all forward momentum, and if he does try pass forward he gives it away, just watch him, but can't fault his work rate

I reckon when Reach was a youngster and all the way up through U18's and development squads, he probably had the best of most full backs because he's tall and his stride would have taken him away from most of them.  Fast forward to regular Championship football and its not so easy for him to beat quick experienced full backs, hence he doesn't have enough time to deliver a quality ball.  This is something he will learn to deal with or not.  Personally, I don't think he will ever be a wide left midfielder without any pace until he's learned much more about the game and finds more than one way to skin the proverbial cat. In this respect, time is on his side.

However, as many have said on here, I completely agree that he has a great engine.  I think he would give KL a run for his money in this aspect of his game.  When Kieran Lee got ruled out for most of the second half of the season, I think we should have looked at Reach as replacement.  The engine, the long stride (as proved against Birmingham) will get him away from most central midfielders, who aren't built for turning like full backs.  He's done damage to teams through the middle and he would have given us what we have really lacked for large periods this season, someone to break from centre midfield.  Anyway, its gone now.  If he finds himself in the centre of midfield at some stage maybe we'll see if I'm right, but I know I would much prefer him in there with Hutchinson rather than Bannan or Jones.

He's turning out to be an expensive utility player. In goal is about the only place he's not appeared this season! I pressume he was signed primarily as a wide player but he just cant beat a man. He does try hard though, I agree with that. Had we paid half a million I'd be happy but not sure he was worth 5 million.

I don't think some folks will ever recover from the fee. 

But all players should be judged on their work for the team whether they cost £10m or a ball of string and an old Toff covered in fluff.

I do think if the club didn't release details of the cost of their transfers Reach wouldn't get half the stick (Not that I am am saying you are giving him the stick!)

I remember a chap used to sit behind me going mad that we signed Danny Wilson for £200,000. A comparatively low fee,  you'll agree, but my neighbour thought it extortionate for a "player ready for the knackers yard".  30 seemed to be cosidered pensionable age to him!

Even when the "Palmer, did well...WILSON!" goal he still was railing against such a high fee!

I think he struggles out wide as he's just one pace, which is ok but lacks the trickery of McManaman or Wallace to beat a man.

I think his best position is in the centre, where, like Lee he has the ability to read play and nips in a dispossess their players and breaks forward. He's good at running with the ball through the middle, which is something we don't have in Jones and Bannan.

At the end of the day, some have favourites, some have players they don't like, but at the end we want the TEAM to do well don't we?

So whoever plays just remember.... WAWAW ??  or are we?

I was in the north yesterday and was amazed by the first loud criticism I heard near my seat after just ONE minute involving more that one player.

Pleased to say I managed to shift at half time.

Come-on lets pull the same way together!

It was a positive when Reach went in to the middle, although not his best performance it gave us an option of a central midfielder running the channels and looking to try and get forward. Something KL excels at.

With Bannan and Jones in there it was just a lot of nice passing, until a Tom Lees lump, with both sitting deep. Easier to defend against, once a midfielder did try and get forward someone had to track him and their shape altered allowing space elsewhere.

I can't see why he is so targeted.  We just won against a tough and combative Colin side, something we hadn't been able to do in the previous 13 attempts, or whatever.

Reach played a part in the victory and the clean sheet. 

They all did, the starters and the bench players.

Hooper and Fletcher barely had a sniff but played their part in wearing rhe defenders out allowing Jordan and Fernando to come on fresh and stick the final knife in. 

Reach does a tremendous amount of work off the ball in creating space often makes some excellent dummy runs creating space for others to exploit, and defensively though he isn't very strong in the tackle he cuts out a lot of angles. 

Of course he has work to do to improve as a player,  but that could be said of any player in the squad.  We could pick them all apart and find faults and areas that require improvement. 

He's still of an age where he has an opportunity to improve, and he's ours. Not some journeyman midfield player we have in on loan. 

I hope he keeps improving. 

I just fear that the label of 'winger' in the traditional sense isn't doing him any favours in the standard he is being judged against. 

There are very few Jimmy Johnston , Stanley Mathews types these days who just hang about on the wing, beat three men and put a world class cross in.  More than anytime in history the game truly is about every member of the team having to carry out other duties. 

Adam Reach

Why does CC rate him?

Reach is a managers dream, he can play anywhere down the left, he's played right, he's partnered a striker and he's now played in the middle of the park. Wherever he plays he gives you the same thing every game, he will run himself into the ground and do exactly what the coaches want. You know he won't let you down, tactically astute.

Why do fans not rate him?

He doesn't have an impact on games. All the things supporters want to see from a player Reach doesn't really deliver, defensively he doesn't make big tackles or headers, in the final 3rd he doesn't beat a man, he doesn't create much and his final ball, whether thats a cross or a shot 9 times out of 10 is poor.

Reach is neat and tidy, his work rate and his potential makes him a 5m pound player, we paid for potential, much like Spurs did with Dele Alli, you then have to hope the player fulfils that potential. Alli is fulfilling it and more.

If Adam Reach scored 1 in 5/6 we wouldn't be questioning it, if he was creating decent chances game in game out we wouldn't be doubting him. When played down the left he's got to create things, he needs to add that to his game. If he does that over the next couple of seasons thats him developing, he's fulfilling his potential. For the players sake the quicker he develops the better, I don't think SWFC can afford to wait too long.

Reach can become a Premier League player or he can float around mid table Championship. It all depends on if he can start influencing the full time score.

Assists and Goals.

Reach could go as far as Bale.

I'm a fan of Reach but that's unlikely unless it's on holiday 

Bale joined Spurs when he was 18 and by the time he was 22 he was one of the best players in the premier league. Sold to Madrid at 24. Reach is now 24, so the next season or two will probably define what direction his career goes in. 

Lets hope you're right and a relatively slow start to his career will take off with us  in the premier league next season 

Reach could go as far as Bale.

Bale is one of the best players in world football.

Are you being serious?

Reach does have similarities to Bale but so did Daniel Jones.

Reach at 24 is having less impact on a game in the Championship than a 17 year old Bale was in the Premier League.