Adam Reach

Wide men/ wingers will always give the ball away the most if they get a cross in and the defenders head it away or one of our strikers doesn't win a header (fletcher and hooper won nothing against Cardiff) that counts as giving the ball away what I think is even when we win or play well people will always look for a player to criticise. 

That's why I compared him to our other wide man !?!?!

Reach has played at left back a lot Wallace hasn't played at right back, plus you are gonna create more chances when you take free kicks and corners. 

There is a good reason why Reach doesn't take corners and free kicks whilst Wallace does.

If Reach was causing defences as many problems as Wallace, do you think he'd have been moved to left back so readily?

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt

There is a good reason why Reach doesn't take corners and free kicks whilst Wallace does.

If Reach was causing defences as many problems as Wallace, do you think he'd have been moved to left back so readily?

You could say he's more inportant than Wallace because Wallace can't play in different positions you've compared Reach to Wallace with giving the ball away stats but Reach has had to defend a lot more than Wallace this season and if your stretching and chasing back and getting more tackles in at full back you will give the ball away more so I  think only 3% less than Wallace isn't bad at all. 

What some of these idiots (and I'm not sorry for using that word because they are idiots) don't realise is that we have bought Reach to be a mainstay of the team for the next few seasons at least, he's a player who can develop and grow with us but some fail to look past the £5M price tag which in this day and age is absolutely nothing.

How much has he 'developed and grown' this season? 

You could say he's more inportant than Wallace because Wallace can't play in different positions you've compared Reach to Wallace with giving the ball away stats but Reach has had to defend a lot more than Wallace this season and if your stretching and chasing back and getting more tackles in at full back you will give the ball away more so I  think only 3% less than Wallace isn't bad at all. 

Well Pudil doesn't give it away more at 77%.

Abdi has played many of his minutes wide and is at 90%.

Anyway, you don't need stats to see with your eyes that Reach wimps tackles, causes full backs hardly any problems and gives our strikers very little service.

But he does work hard.

Really good post. As you say, he has the potential to kick on. He has a thunderous shot and gets himself in plenty of good positions to score. Reading at home for example, he made 3 or 4 decent chances for himself, much as FF does. But his goals tally has to improve massively.

Reach as LW - 2 goals in 25

FF as LW - 5 goals in 9

Wallace RW - 5 goals in 38

I agree with @Kameron that our left side is an issue. Adam can't keep FF out of that LW position. However, I disagree with several posters that think Reach should not be LB. The role of a LB has changed, and Adam's unbelievable engine would make him an ideal choice to bomb up and down our left all afternoon.

But he doesn't bomb up and down the wing. When he's lb he gets to the half way line and then passes inside or back. He never beats his man and doesn't take people on. Pudil does that better. 

Stats might work in that funny American game but they are less than perfect for a proper game

Comparing Reach's goal tally with FF 's is nonsense. Play the role differently while team playing different tactics so can't do a meaningful comparison 

Saying his pass completion rate is less so he is ineffective is equally nonsense. What about the times he helps the full back stop an attack is that ineffective, what about the forward runs he makes down the centre which creates space for our strikers. What about his non stop running which means he covers when our attacks break down, is that ineffective 

Edited by oldishowl

Played virtually every game since he signed,never gets injured,or banned,can play anywhere and in a team in a play off position,and yeah he's rubbish,I believe Carlos thinks a bit different to some of the experts on here.

The lads class does the job for the team.

I just fear that the label of 'winger' in the traditional sense isn't doing him any favours in the standard he is being judged against. 

There are very few Jimmy Johnston , Stanley Mathews types these days who just hang about on the wing, beat three men and put a world class cross in.  More than anytime in history the game truly is about every member of the team having to carry out other duties. 

Thats the problem. The dinosaurs on here still think it's 1965

Stats might work in that funny American game but they are less than perfect for a proper game

Comparing Reach's goal tally with FF 's is nonsense. Play the role differently while team playing different tactics so can't do a meaningful comparison 

Saying his pass completion rate is less so he is ineffective is equally nonsense. What about the times he helps the full back stop an attack is that ineffective, what about the forward runs he makes down the centre which creates space for our strikers. What about his non stop running which means he covers when our attacks break down, is that ineffective 

It was me who compared his goals with FF and Wallace.

I don't really disagree with what you say, and in particular to compare with FF is a bit futile as FF's tally from LW are simply amazing. Bit like Knockheart from wide.

The comparison with Wallace is not unreasonable though, and Adam does not compare too badly. I think the goal tally from Adam will increase too. He has an excellent shot on him and is far from shot-shy.

But, right now, it's very hard to make a case for Reach over FF for that LW slot. Two very good players, but FF gives us a phenomenal goal-threat down the left. 

I would happilly see Adam as LB from now until late May.

Edited by Holmowl