Adam Reach

Guest RocketOwl

Bale is one of the best players in world football.

Are you being serious?

Reach does have similarities to Bale but so did Daniel Jones.

Reach at 24 is having less impact on a game in the Championship than a 17 year old Bale was in the Premier League.

Wouldn't swap Reach for Bale at this stage. 

Can see Reach becoming world class.

I just dont rate him either unfortunately.

Can see why managers love him, works really hard, never stops and covers the full back. Its almost as if we play two left backs so when up against a good winger it can work. 

But hes not the best defender, follows the ball too much and loses his man alot. Which normally leads to them breaking. Not very strong, not very quick, not the best end product. And to be an effective winger you need atleast one of those three and need to be clever enough to compensate for your weakpoints. E.g. wallace, not very quick or strong, but his positioning and end product is good hence why hes effective. 

Reach just doesnt seem to do much in games apart from run around alot, which is fine if your mid table, but not in the play offs

Guest Fletchers head guard

The lad will never win some over until he's getting three assists a week and averaging a 1 in 3 scoring ratio either

Highly unlikely of course. But "For that money he should be" blah blah blah. 

I'd be happy if he could actually beat a man 

I just dont rate him either unfortunately.

Can see why managers love him, works really hard, never stops and covers the full back. Its almost as if we play two left backs so when up against a good winger it can work. 

But hes not the best defender, follows the ball too much and loses his man alot. Which normally leads to them breaking. Not very strong, not very quick, not the best end product. And to be an effective winger you need atleast one of those three and need to be clever enough to compensate for your weakpoints. E.g. wallace, not very quick or strong, but his positioning and end product is good hence why hes effective. 

Reach just doesnt seem to do much in games apart from run around alot, which is fine if your mid table, but not in the play offs

Respect everyone's opinion and can't argue with most of this except that in some games that non stop trying and work rate counts for a lot. I game him mom yesterday for getting up and down all match and then still working when put at centre mid. Someone said in a different thread that he just lacks belief, which I think is right but it will come, and we'll start to see him attacking full backs a bit more. 

Pretty much first name on the teamsheet so either the manager is wrong or the naysayers are.

maybe he just does a consistent job which allows others to do the glory work.

Eventually he will either improve or be moved on but at the moment he's doing what's asked if him by the manager and well enough to keep his place.

What some of these idiots (and I'm not sorry for using that word because they are idiots) don't realise is that we have bought Reach to be a mainstay of the team for the next few seasons at least, he's a player who can develop and grow with us but some fail to look past the £5M price tag which in this day and age is absolutely nothing.

Adam Reach

Why does CC rate him?

Reach is a managers dream, he can play anywhere down the left, he's played right, he's partnered a striker and he's now played in the middle of the park. Wherever he plays he gives you the same thing every game, he will run himself into the ground and do exactly what the coaches want. You know he won't let you down, tactically astute.

Why do fans not rate him?

He doesn't have an impact on games. All the things supporters want to see from a player Reach doesn't really deliver, defensively he doesn't make big tackles or headers, in the final 3rd he doesn't beat a man, he doesn't create much and his final ball, whether thats a cross or a shot 9 times out of 10 is poor.

Reach is neat and tidy, his work rate and his potential makes him a 5m pound player, we paid for potential, much like Spurs did with Dele Alli, you then have to hope the player fulfils that potential. Alli is fulfilling it and more.

If Adam Reach scored 1 in 5/6 we wouldn't be questioning it, if he was creating decent chances game in game out we wouldn't be doubting him. When played down the left he's got to create things, he needs to add that to his game. If he does that over the next couple of seasons thats him developing, he's fulfilling his potential. For the players sake the quicker he develops the better, I don't think SWFC can afford to wait too long.

Reach can become a Premier League player or he can float around mid table Championship. It all depends on if he can start influencing the full time score.

Assists and Goals.

Really good post. As you say, he has the potential to kick on. He has a thunderous shot and gets himself in plenty of good positions to score. Reading at home for example, he made 3 or 4 decent chances for himself, much as FF does. But his goals tally has to improve massively.

Reach as LW - 2 goals in 25

FF as LW - 5 goals in 9

Wallace RW - 5 goals in 38

I agree with @Kameron that our left side is an issue. Adam can't keep FF out of that LW position. However, I disagree with several posters that think Reach should not be LB. The role of a LB has changed, and Adam's unbelievable engine would make him an ideal choice to bomb up and down our left all afternoon.

I just checked to make sure I wasn't losing it.

He keeps possession 77% of the time which is the lowest of our midfielders. (Abdi highest at 90%)

Our other most played wide man, Wallace, keeps it 80% of the time. The real difference being that not only does Wallace keep the ball better he does so whilst being more positive with the ball.  Despite having less minutes than Reach on the pitch he has created 62 chances whilst Reach has only created 40.

Reach is simply busy but completely ineffectual.

Wide men/ wingers will always give the ball away the most if they get a cross in and the defenders head it away or one of our strikers doesn't win a header (fletcher and hooper won nothing against Cardiff) that counts as giving the ball away what I think is even when we win or play well people will always look for a player to criticise.