George Hirst

I've never seen the lad play.except a few highlights.

but has he ever actually played against a team of men ? not u23s,u18s ect.

needs to be tested first

I think the hype is just because his dad was a legend here.

I've seen Fraser Preston and he looks class but doesn't get the same hype

Agree with this. I think we have to accept there's a real chance he's going and if he does we need to play hardball with any potential suitor and get the biggest fee we can plus a generous sell on clause. Probably get negged to hell and back for this but, even now, there are no guarantees he will turn into a superstar (Rooney had been playing regularly in the PL at George's age). Lots of pitfalls along the way still... 

Rooney's an outlier though, and he peaked early.

You can see the potential George has, he's got an eye for goal and if he fills out like his dad (sans beer) he'll have all the right physical attributes to be a top drawer striker.

We should get him a "Must Play" stipulation on a season long loan, and give him an improved contract. If our ambition is the Premier League, let's start looking after our assets.

7th choice striker at the club...he is an undoubted talent and I have no problems with him signing an enhanced contract but he needs to move out on loan and see how he does in the lower divisions. I can't see him happy sitting in the U23's anymore.

Living away from Sheffield always results in more time spent on Owls Talk. FACT.

Is the homesickness kicking in yet?

Speak for yourself you fanny, my job isn't poo poo.

We aren't a club with the same resources as the teams that the other players in the England squad play for.

Hence my point. If he wants to go, get as much money as we can for him with as large a sell-on clause as possible. Good for the player, good for the club.

You a Footballer,  Golfer, Movie Star, Underwater Explorer, Fighter Pilot if not admit it your job is probably bobbar like the majority.

Although I'd love him to stay not sure I can fault the lad for either pushing a pay rise or a move to secure his future, 5-7k a week on a 5 year deal with massive bonuses for appearances and goals should be our limit and good enough for him as that's enough to secure him for life and not too much for us if doesn't work out.

Guest Ash76

Not good enough yet, nowhere near I'm afraid.

If he thinks he's deserving of being overpaid just because noises are being made others will pay a similar amount then he can

go if the deal is right 

At his age and quality he needs to be knocking on the front door of the first team. Everyone knows he is quality, for some reason we always say age is a problem when other teams don't. Nobody could blame him for leaving, plenty of better opportunities out there.

You have absolutely no idea of his ability if you think he's anywhere near Championship level yet. 

Someone with more knowledge than me will be able to confirm, but I'm pretty sure he hasn't even averaged a goal every two games for the U23's who are currently top of their league. That isn't knocking him, if he's even anywhere near 1 in 3, let alone 1 in 2, he's doing fantastically for his age. But that level is probably the equivalent of good league 2 teams at best. If he can't manage a goal every two games in League 2, on what deluded fantasy planet do you think he can play in the Championship? 

I'll ask for evidence of his ability to play in the Championship please.  

You actually said "pure greed" which is total rounduns.

If we can pay £62K per week to Rhodes, £40K to Fletcher, £34K to Hooper and £17K to Winnall then we can afford to keep Hirst happy.

If we lose the most promising youngster we've produced for 30 years for a fraction of his potential value it will be madness.

Would like to know where you've pulled those figures from...

Agree with @OneDavidHirst, he's already signed an extension so it's not like we're at risk of losing him for free in the summer. When you have clubs like Everton paying up to £12million for a 19yr forward (Lookman) the money being throw around for youngsters is too good to turn down. The fact Hirst is a striker and an England U'18 International will already inflate his transfer value, even IF Hirst makes it as a professional how long do you think it would be until he's good enough to play regularly football in The Championship for example? Or even be good enough to play in our team?

If a PL club comes in for him and offers us good money and a sell on clause we should 100% take it. Even if he turns out to be a big time striker (big IF) will he be good enough to play at Championship or even PL level? How long would it take for him to be as good as/better than Rhodes/Hooper/FF or any future inbound talent? And if he stayed here would he even play - or just get frustrated over development and ultimately leave for free at the end of his current deal?

Point being just because we have a youngster in our academy who shows some potential don't get carried away thinking we're sat on the next Rooney. The reality is in the modern game transfer fees are so misguided and if bigger clubs come in with silly money there's nothing we could do. Football is a ruthless game and Sheffield Wednesday are a business, ultimately we are banking on Hirst becoming a Championship/PL standard player and if the club don't think he can hit those standards we should exploit this market as much as possible for maximum financial gain. 

He can't even get in our first team, so why would Everton be good for him?

He is good for his age, but still has development to go.

Because they have a track record of developing players like Ross Barkley, Wayne Rooney, etc..

We don't. We would rush his development then boo him off the park for not being his dad.

Fact

Would like to know where you've pulled those figures from...

Agree with @OneDavidHirst, he's already signed an extension so it's not like we're at risk of losing him for free in the summer. When you have clubs like Everton paying up to £12million for a 19yr forward (Lookman) the money being throw around for youngsters is too good to turn down. The fact Hirst is a striker and an England U'18 International will already inflate his transfer value, even IF Hirst makes it as a professional how long do you think it would be until he's good enough to play regularly football in The Championship for example? Or even be good enough to play in our team?

If a PL club comes in for him and offers us good money and a sell on clause we should 100% take it. Even if he turns out to be a big time striker (big IF) will he be good enough to play at Championship or even PL level? How long would it take for him to be as good as/better than Rhodes/Hooper/FF or any future inbound talent? And if he stayed here would he even play - or just get frustrated over development and ultimately leave for free at the end of his current deal?

Point being just because we have a youngster in our academy who shows some potential don't get carried away thinking we're sat on the next Rooney. The reality is in the modern game transfer fees are so misguided and if bigger clubs come in with silly money there's nothing we could do. Football is a ruthless game and Sheffield Wednesday are a business, ultimately we are banking on Hirst becoming a Championship/PL standard player and if the club don't think he can hit those standards we should exploit this market as much as possible for maximum financial gain. 

Spot on. The odds on him making it, even as a useful player at this level are stacked against him. He's currently our 8th choice striker by my reckoning so is a million miles from being of any use to us yet.