How have some of you made it through the last 15 years?

Tbh, when we were bad and I mean really bad, it was just a laugh. Once you got over the first two years. (Those of us that stuck around).

I think now with us winning again after all these years, you see a new breed of fan. One that wants everything on a plate. Expects success due to money invested and higher prices. 

Those of us with memories, are just greatful we have a club and personally at times I certainly feel pushed out, like it's not really my club anymore. (I was just used to the crap).

Bit of a ramble, I'm aware. Plus not sure were I'm going with this, but it's possible that when we perhaps see money wasted, because we are not used to having, can provoke the kind of reactions we see.

Personally I'm quite happy bobbing along in the championship and quite like the fact we can buy players. 

Edited by Maddogbob

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

a lot of supporters of other clubs have it far worse than us and have no hope of ever being anything other than crap with the odd good season here and there so our last 15 years havnt been as bad as what some would make out .

A lot of other clubs supporters don't expect any more and don't have our traditions and expectations, no disrespect to them but you can't class us with them, so yes we have had it bad for a long time.

Think the last 15 years are pretty irrelevant. We've moved on and as fans our expectations have moved on as well. Rightly so. 

Currently, for the money we've spent we should be performing better. You can't just say that because the last 15 years were worse we should be happy now. 

If if you ran around in a clapped out Nissan micra for 15 years then bought a Ferrari, but the Ferrari kept breaking down. I'm pretty sure you'd be complaining. Of course it's better than the micra but it's not desirable. You want your Ferrari to be driving smoothly with all the gadgets working properly. 

9 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

I survived the 1970's, now that WAS dire, so the last 15 years have been a doddle.

Agree, the 73-74 to 75-76 seasons were unbelievable, firstly escaped relegation on last day after losing 8-0 previous week, then following season relegated without winning a game and scoring just 2 goals in second half off season and then following season we escape relegation to 4th division on last day of season. 

Our nickname was Sheffield Wednesday Nil. 

Attendance's were down to under 7,000 for some games. 

Just now, debram said:

A lot of other clubs supporters don't expect any more and don't have our traditions and expectations, no disrespect to them but you can't class us with them, so yes we have had it bad for a long time.

there's the rub we have expectations but in truth we have nothing to back those expectations up .....we arnt a big club , ive been going since 62 and we spent more time outside the top flight than in it,big clubs tend not to do that  . when we were in it we very rarely challenged for a top 6 spot since 1964 .we have no modern history of being successful in the traditional sense,the last time we were a big club was way back in the 1920-30s .........we are a middling club who historically yo yo's between the top 2 divisions always have been probably always will .

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

there's the rub we have expectations but in truth we have nothing to back those expectations up .....we arnt a big club , ive been going since 62 and we spent more time outside the top flight than in it,big clubs tend not to do that  . when we were in it we very rarely challenged for a top 6 spot since 1964 .we have no modern history of being successful in the traditional sense,the last time we were a big club was way back in the 1920-30s .........we are a middling club who historically yo yo's between the top 2 divisions always have been probably always will .

Agree but just got to keep believing, hopefully DC will take us through one of the better periods

We are fans of a club that would get crowds of 20K if it was relegated to the conference league

For what we've endured we've got the best fans in England and none of you will convince me otherwise

The only difference these days is the Internet and social media

We're connected in ways today that weren't available to us years ago so moaning is a hell of a lot easier now

Football fans have ALWAYS moaned but now we've got the tools to do it much more easily.

You really can't just follow one sport, can you?

If Wednesday win, lose or draw - ofcourse the emotions match the result.

I love MMA (UFC) and Boxing as much as I love football.

Seeing the emergence of Conor McGregor, or an undefeated gypsy travelling to Germany to beat Wladimir Klitschko. These occasions are looked forward to more than a Wednesday 1-1 away draw to Preston.  

Edited by bigash_swfc

You really can't just follow one sport, can you?

If Wednesday win, lose or draw - ofcourse the emotions match the result.

I love MMA (UFC) and Boxing as much as I love football.

Seeing the emergence of Conor McGregor, or an undefeated gypsy travelling to Germany to beat Wladimir Klitschko. These occasions are looked forward to more than a Wednesday 1-1 away draw to Preston.  

Edited by bigash_swfc

19 minutes ago, horny owl said:

We are fans of a club that would get crowds of 20K if it was relegated to the conference league

For what we've endured we've got the best fans in England and none of you will convince me otherwise

The only difference these days is the Internet and social media

We're connected in ways today that weren't available to us years ago so moaning is a hell of a lot easier now

Football fans have ALWAYS moaned but now we've got the tools to do it much more easily.

I admire your belief if not agree with it ......

14 hours ago, dazzler07 said:

Honestly reading some of the posts on here it makes me wonder how some of you have made it through the last 15 years without throwing yourselves under a bus! The negativity surrounding the team, manager and new signings are beyond rediculous and don't get me wrong the majority of fans are very level headed but some of you should man up or shut up.

A little bit of success as gone to a lot of your heads and it appears some feel we should be turning every team over week in week out.... well unfortunately there isn't a single team in this divison the that is capable of doing that especially not Wednesday! 

So let's put our big girl pants on and hope for some more decent signings and Wednesday pushing on!

Peace out.

I think it's just impatience. We were mainly terrible over those 15 years so those of us who stuck by them didn't expect anything, last season changed that.

58 minutes ago, torryowl said:

We tend to think we are a BIG club, but since I started going 70 years ago, I have seen MORE second and third division football than I have top league football. We tend to forget that we have not been a Premiership club since 2000. Even Barnsley have been in the Premiership since we have, even if only for one season. We certainly have no divine right to top layer football. The last couple of seasons has seen us watch more improved football than for a long time. It was regular to here the comment 'Will we escaped relegation , do you think?' much more often than 'Shall we make the play-off's.' 

Guest mrbluesky
15 hours ago, dazzler07 said:

Honestly reading some of the posts on here it makes me wonder how some of you have made it through the last 15 years without throwing yourselves under a bus! The negativity surrounding the team, manager and new signings are beyond rediculous and don't get me wrong the majority of fans are very level headed but some of you should man up or shut up.

A little bit of success as gone to a lot of your heads and it appears some feel we should be turning every team over week in week out.... well unfortunately there isn't a single team in this divison the that is capable of doing that especially not Wednesday! 

So let's put our big girl pants on and hope for some more decent signings and Wednesday pushing on!

Peace out.

I refer you to this post,I`m not sure that people understand how forums like this work:rolleyes:

#Letsmoanaboutthemoaners/

Guest mrbluesky
6 minutes ago, meggoisgod said:

I will accept limited talent and mistakes but I will boo and moan if I feel the effort levels have dropped...100% effort is the minimum requirement for my Sheffield Wednesday team...if that makes me a poor fan then they can have my ST back with pleasure

You are not allowed!!!!!:biggrin: