How have some of you made it through the last 15 years?

3 minutes ago, whyte_owl said:

I think we finished 8th under laws so 6th is not really much better is it?

What Laws did was miraculous...and you do realise the championship is TOTALLY different now and to simply compete you have to spend nearly as much money as a third of the premiership teams..and we have shown we can seriously compete.

10 minutes ago, whyte_owl said:

I think we finished 8th under laws so 6th is not really much better is it?

In a much higher quality league. Think about the players he had, against what others had back then and the amount of money spent. It's all relative and like comparing apples with oranges. But people with blinkers on, who have to see the negative in everything can't see past that. 

5 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

What Laws did was miraculous...and you do realise the championship is TOTALLY different now and to simply compete you have to spend nearly as much money as a third of the premiership teams..and we have shown we can seriously compete.

Like Barnsley you mean?

51 minutes ago, prowl said:

It's the hope that does for you.

In the dark days there's a Dunkirk spirit/ London blitz, all pull together, look on the bright side attitude. Plenty of gallows humour, we might be poo and we know it but we are still going to have a good time. Never say die.

Then we get better and the attitude changes to, it won't last, flash in the pan, look at all the money we are wasting, we will have to pay in the end. The sun is shining but the winter will be terrible to compensate. Winters coming, the nights are drawing in.

It's OK folks lighten up, it's not your money, you've got a free ride. Smile and be happy. The only thing you need to worry about is the megastore, that really is shi...shocking

We knew we were rubbish and we were playing the likes of Colchester, Walsall, Gillingham, etc. as well! It's not as if we were getting spanked by good teams

Which puts it into perspective. 

1 minute ago, S_W_F_C said:

Do you think Man City fans are saying don't worry we are miles behind Chelsea we were in L1 15 years ago?

The one I know is saying similar to that, yeah. But then I suppose he has a sense of perspective and is able to see the bigger picture. Why would a Man City fan who was there throughout the dark times be upset with how things are going at their club, really?

:duntmatter:

10 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

Why do people keep harping back to 5,10 or 15 years ago?

We have moved on from that and expectations have risen.

Yet you constantly harp back to 3 poor signings made in the summer, last year. Tell me; at what point do you set the laws on how far we can harp back to? Or is it only what suits your argument?

Just now, S_W_F_C said:

Cos they've spent about half a billion quid on players maybe?

And we haven't. Yet another example of using one argument for one thing and another for another! Your wumming is catching up with you!

2 minutes ago, DuncOwl said:

In a much higher quality league. Think about the players he had, against what others had back then and the amount of money spent. It's all relative and like comparing apples with oranges. But people with blinkers on, who have to see the negative in everything can't see past that. 

He didn't have 12 million to spend.  I don't wear blinkers.  I'm just realistic.  What is your point?

Just now, S_W_F_C said:

I think your confusing me with someone else mate, sorry en all that 

Really? Is it not you saying that we need to get rid of Carlos if we want to get in the top six because his recruitment has been shocking? If not I apologise. 

3 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

Cos they've spent about half a billion quid on players maybe?

So have Chelsea over the years. 

There are teams in the Championship that have spent more than us on players and are not in the play off positions 

Edited by Rogers

1 minute ago, whyte_owl said:

He didn't have 12 million to spend.  I don't wear blinkers.  I'm just realistic.  What is your point?

In an era when Barnsley went up, Blackpool did, even Stoke and West Brom didn't spend that much... probably relative to the difference in spending power between ourselves and Newcastle now. My point is that you can't compare finishing 8th then to finishing 6th now. It is infinitely harder to get in to the top 6 than it was then. 

Just now, whyte_owl said:

Like Barnsley you mean?

I could easily name plenty of clubs that have spent a lot more money than us and ended up having a relatively failure of a season.  Qpr? Fulham? Forest? 

Just shows how competitive this league is but having a lot of money usually is a huge benefit.

What's point of forum if we can't discuss concerns over the team?

That's the whole point isn't it?

Baffles me when people come on to a forum which is designed for debate and discussion about the team, manager, players, formations, signings, league position, performances etc and tell people to stop whinging or lighten up. Most Wednesdayites appreciate hugely how far we've come in a short space of time, but does that mean we're not allowed to criticise and pass judgement on what we've seen? No one on this forum is suggesting we are in crisis, it's those who post threads like this who create a bigger issue than there actually is.

Football fans are fickle, we aren't the only ones who switch moods depending on how we've done at the weekend. We put in a couple of bad performances against Wolves and Preston which left fans frustrated- so what? The way it is and fans are going to come on here and want to talk about it.

If that wasn't the case this forum would just be boring threads like 'name this wednesday player' or 'our worst ever 11'. 

Basically stop moaning at the moaners because that creates more moaning GET IT?

23 minutes ago, DuncOwl said:

In an era when Barnsley went up, Blackpool did, even Stoke and West Brom didn't spend that much... probably relative to the difference in spending power between ourselves and Newcastle now. My point is that you can't compare finishing 8th then to finishing 6th now. It is infinitely harder to get in to the top 6 than it was then. 

Don't agree and league position aside we are awful to watch.   I expect a bit more for 600 quid.