Highlights of Dave Jones managing Sheffield Wednesday

I remember going to the fans forum with him and MM taking questions just after he was appointed. He came across as a jovial amiable guy who stated that he wanted to win the remaining 12 / 13 games to get promotion and he nearly did just that! I genuinely thought we were going places with him until I - and everyone else - soon realised we were only going one way

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Getting is promoted.  He was awful after that.  He seemed out of his depth which was so weird as he had been a Premier League manager before that.

In retrospect it's strange how it all faded away so quickly.  The guy took us to automatic promotion with a fantastic run.  Had a different appointment been made, or certainly if Megson had been retained, the balance of power in Sheffield football might now look very different.

But then.  Norwich and Soton had recently sliced through the second half of division three seasons, and then got promoted.  For a few games it looked possible.  And then it collapsed, and he seemed to have little by way of response, or over time much to care. Gave the air in the end of a man who'd had a long career, and hadn't got the energy for the final challenge.

Having said that, after a few months it became clear that Mandaric didn't have the inclination or ability to fund a competitive championship side, so whoever had the job was always going to be up against it.  

I don't understand the resentment towards Jones. Who cares if he was a miserable sod, he got us automatic promotion against all the odds and at the expense of our arch rivals. That seems to mean nothing to some fans. I don't believe for one second Megson would have done likewise (terrible manager who was given an easy ride just because he is a Wednesdayite - much like Turner). 

Yes he was poor in the end and deserved to go but for me he is up there with Sturrock as he got us out of that horrible league.

Tbf to Jones the promotion season was great, but I think his personal life mirrored his lack of interest in our club once in the Championship. Not sure if he's done anything in football since leaving us, but I just think he had a wobble and needed to leave the game. 

Edited by East Yorks Owl

He turned a team that was set up to be strong and batter people into a team that could play direct attacking football. Whether he did it or not a team spirit was fostered that took us to promotion on a glorious day that I'll never forget. He had a hand in that and I'll overlook his strange badgers and eagles and stoats comments for that. Who cares if he was dour, he helped change our fortunes for the better. 

2 hours ago, james o connor said:

still think it's funny how one of the most disliked managers of recent times got more out of 'super' Gary megsons squad than he could ever. I still remember my 10 hour round trip to watch us surrender to the mighty Exeter like it was yesterday 

this again  ...said several times  DJ finessed the style and added to the team and did very very well and prob better than GM wouldve done

but 1 word

.......antonio             megson had a 100% win record (1/1) once he finally secured his signing 

He walked out with his head held high and a victory over the pigs what a way to go 

i'm convinced DJ was virtually asking for the sack at the end he came across dead behind the eyes sullen and arrogant

step forward SG 

Guest RedDragonOwl

God I ******* hated that guy. He generally couldn't have cared any less about us. Funny how he says he didn't become a bad manager over night, but what has he done since? 

One of our best managers of the last 25 years.

His managing style was the same no matter which club he was managing, Wednesday fans obessession to be loved and patted on the head is such that they can't see past one of the greatest achievments in our history, all at the expense of our most bitterest rivals.

The manager he replaced took it upon himself to label our squad 'Aldi' players in a shameless ploy to avoid blame for what was a floundering season. Jones then proceeded to take these so-called worthless players and went on an unbeaten streak and secured automatic promotion on a memorable day in 2012.

It went bad, but then again it always go bad otherwise you would never change manager.

Unfortunately, the same faction of traditionalists are subtlely handing out the same kind of scorn on both our current manager and chairman.

12 hours ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

The aquisition of Captain Loovens.

Yep and he never got a chance go play him before he got sacked. We had a team that could score goals but the defence was awful at the time, then Loovens arrived and our defence improved massively.  People put all the praise on Stuart Gray for keeping us up that season but having Loovens in defence didn't half help. Plus sometimes I feel people forget that Gray was there as the defensive coach when we were awful, with Jones apparently not being at training a lot of the time.

Jones signed Looven, Antonio (permanent), Kirkland, Lee, Gardner, Barkley, Wickham, Fryatt. And I think most people were happy when Bothroyd signed until we realised he had lost it. 

And to be fair he also managed to get Rodri out of Barcelona which made major news at the time 

i think Jones is similiar to Harry redknapp in that he's great at signing players, but his coaching abilities were lacking. A director of football role would probably suit him best if I was his career advisor at school