HILLSBOROUGH - THE ULTIMATE SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY GROUND PHOTO THREAD

2 hours ago, catdog1121 said:

Do you not think though that those generic stadiums are all the same, there used to be a day where in a quiz I could name almost every ground from a photo...  With all these modern flat packed stadiums they all seem alike..  I get that there is a huge advantage to a new modern stadium but I really hope we don't get one too soon... Still life in the old girl..

Aye

lets keep her so we can win a gallon o’ale in the quiz😉

4 hours ago, musingowl said:

Any experts out there want to hazard a guess how much it would cost now to bring up to modern standards?

I'd assume it would be significantly higher than if it'd just been shown a little TLC over the previous 25+ years.

By no means an expert but I’d guess it would be cheaper to knock it down, weight in the scrap, sell the land and start again over renovating 

• Haha 1

Agree with the majority of the voices here.

Unfortunately, whatever your view on the matter, our ground is now synonymous with the disaster for anyone who's not a fan of SWFC.

Just Google Images for 'Hillsborough' or 'Hillsborough Stadium' and you just get pictures from April '89.

That stigma has ramped up in recent years and has been compacted with decades of owner neglect save for the scoreboard and pitch.

As daft as it sounds, i'm sure it has some psychological effect on the people who work here, right from the cleaners to the players.

I don't know where or when but plenty of other clubs have left their traditional homes to flourish elsewhere and not always in the 'flat pack bowl'.

Besides, we had a few homes before Hillsboroug so time for a fresh start in a new ground. The fans will bring the soul and make it home and our past achievements will never be erased.

Time to look to the future.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Truth is out there said:

Aye

lets keep her so we can win a gallon o’ale in the quiz😉

Come on you got to have a bit of character, can you imagine if we all drove exactly the same cars an lived in exactly the same houses..  There has been so many grounds that have been lost or could be lost that had/have so much uniqueness..  You think of Highbury with its iconic facade..  Craven Cottages John Haynes Stand..  Maine Road..  The old White hart lane...

The iconic nature of away games, visiting the various different grounds, comparing the good and the bad to your own ground..  But home was always your home ground, its unique quirks..  But its that variety that really makes a something iconic, you look at Hillsborough Stadium and its no mistaking its home of Sheffield Wednesday,,  You look at something like the stadium of light and oh is that sunderland, or is it Derby, or Cardiff, or Swansea or Reading or southampton...  The list can go on, yeah they are convenient and look all fancy but they have no soul, no history, each on of our stands has a story to tell..

Maybe I am old fashioned but would you drive 100miles to go to a different McDonalds?  No because they are basically all the same.. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, grumpy grandad said:

too where ? give us a clue. i love this club would love to now how to get out of this poo

That's a good question pal, we don't have the money to buy a space and build so it would most likely be a multi-year development, starting with the West Stand being demolished and a smaller stand being built to hold around 6-8k. Next would be the North Stand and move the dressing rooms into there, then the south stand and finish with the kop. The existing footprint should leave us room to drop to 35k and not feel hemmed in.

10 hours ago, Prince said:

Being fair we have had thousands of empty seats for 20 odd years. We don't need a ground for the Premier league for the minute we need a solution like MK dons have where they can expand the capacity as they try and grew supporters moving up the leagues.

I have enjoyed some fabulous times at Hillsborough but its a relic now that needs a fortune spending on it to get it anywhere near modern stadium standards, If we get the chance move to a modern stadium I would  welcome it.

It would be far cheaper to upgrade Hillsborough as per the WC planning permission than to build a new stadium.  £22m iirc, probably equates to £30m now.

The character of the ground would be largely preserved, we get to keep our home, and the ground would meet modern standards. 

It's all fantasy anyway. We won't invest in infrastructure until we get to the EPL, and we'll never get to the EPL because we've never invested in our club infrastructure.

29 minutes ago, Manwë said:

It would be far cheaper to upgrade Hillsborough as per the WC planning permission than to build a new stadium.  £22m iirc, probably equates to £30m now.

The character of the ground would be largely preserved, we get to keep our home, and the ground would meet modern standards. 

It's all fantasy anyway. We won't invest in infrastructure until we get to the EPL, and we'll never get to the EPL because we've never invested in our club infrastructure.

I remember the time (mid to early 60s) when the then Chairman (Eric Taylor) was accused by the supporters of spending to much on the ground and not enough on players!

• Love 1

1 hour ago, longreach said:

I remember the time (mid to early 60s) when the then Chairman (Eric Taylor) was accused by the supporters of spending to much on the ground and not enough on players!

Before my time, but that was then and this is now.  The 60s was a big time for Hillsborough, and the relative cost compared to wages/transfers was probably probably huge.  To be fair, we were preparing for the WC, just as the proposed development of Hillsborough was also for a WC that we didn't win.

I did the fag packet maths a while back, but for us not to have signed Rhodes and paid his £38k a week for a few years, we could have almost had a new West Stand.  Thrown in your Abdi's (not literally) and you've got long term infrastructure benefits to the club.

9 hours ago, Mac_77 said:

By no means an expert but I’d guess it would be cheaper to knock it down, weight in the scrap, sell the land and start again over renovating 

I've worked at the ground on matchdays and can honestly say that despite knowing the ground needs some upgrading, I had no idea how bad some areas are. When we played Plymouth in the cup, a small area with a single food kiosk was used under the North West corner for away fans. I had no idea this area existed but was taken aback by how decayed and depressing it looked. When you sit on the home stands the stadium in general looks ok, its when you see the "backstage" areas you realise how bad it is.